It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Handheld terahertz wand to unmask terrorists

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2004 @ 10:18 AM
link   

The next generation of security screening systems will be based on so-called terahertz technology that can see weapons and explosives hidden under people's clothes. But using terahertz radiation to produce X-ray-like images of passengers is likely to be unacceptable for routine use, as it will allow security staff to see the people they are scanning as if they were naked.

Instead of producing images, it plans to build a detection system that picks up the telltale frequencies that explosives or metallic objects reflect and absorb when terahertz waves hit them.

Instead, the system will check to see which wavelengths of terahertz radiation have been absorbed and reflected by the subject and pick up the characteristic spectral signatures of explosives, metals and other chemicals such as drugs.

www.newscientist.com...

So, what are you opinions on such technology. Is this to be viewed as more privacy by eliminating the need to image one naked or an infringment on privacy because its able to pinpoint certain substances?

The article states that all the operator will see is a red or green light on the wand. That has to be better than knowing someone is electronically undressing you. Of course, I can see where this will be a major pain in the rear for those needing to get explosives on a plane, train, or bus.

posted on Jul, 12 2004 @ 10:35 AM
link   
I'm still waiting to see the new terrorist detection wands. You just wave it over any terrorist, and it beeps. I'm sure they're in development. Or maybe a breathalyzer? Beeeeeep! Grab him, he's a terrorist! They could even have a sensitivity setting, so they could adjust how much terror should be detectable.

posted on Jul, 12 2004 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Damned
I'm still waiting to see the new terrorist detection wands. You just wave it over any terrorist, and it beeps. I'm sure they're in development.

Not a bad idea, but you have to catch the terrorist first.
I'm sure all active 'enemy combatants' have considered this.
Sanc'.
edit:active

[edit on 12-7-2004 by sanctum]

posted on Jul, 12 2004 @ 11:24 AM
link   
I believe they could utilize current x-ray technology for this. It should be sufficient enough to detect a missing spine.

top topics

join