It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dependence on meds

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 08:41 AM
link   
I went to the drug store the other day to get a presciption of cough syrup filled and they were out. It was sort of suprising to me that a drug store would be out of drugs. The pharmacist checked the inventory and said it would be in the next shipment. I talked to her a few minutes and got a pretty good picture how it works. Most pharmacies have a limited amount of space and use an inventory database to keep track on when and how much to order. The next time you go to a drug store notice if they are getting a shipment. Restocking inventory is a constant thing with the convenience of courier companies.

This got me to thinking, what will happen if the chain is broken. If for any reason the delivery companies cannot deliver meds or supplies what will people do? Many people are dependent on oxygen, diabetic supplies, blood pressure meds, heart meds, etc. I'm not on any kinds of meds but I have family members that are.

I posted this to see if anyone had some ideas on what to do and what plans they have. I'm not a doom and gloom person I like to be prepared.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Rede2go

Prescription cough medications usually contain opiates. Short of not using them and reserving your stock for only when they are absolutely necessary (Not advisable on a couple of fronts, not the least of which can be legalities) there is no real alternative that I can think of other than weaning off of them and becoming accustomed to a non prescription variety such as a DM or CF based product.

~Heff

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Rede2go

I would imagine they would have some sort of contingency plan in place, Then again Government contingency plans NEVER work properly

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Good point. I've thought about this a number of times.
I only have to take one medication, thank the gods, but it is for a heart condition. It's to keep my heart in normal rhythm. I've been in ICU three x for atrial fib, very fast heart rate (170-180s), blood pressure dips dangerously, and heart isn't actually pumping blood throughout the body, instead it is more 'quivering' than pumping.
So this is my plan...I'm getting stocked up on my meds, plus changed my diet completely and am walking three miles a day, in hopes that this will help to strengthen my heart and cut down on the chance it can go out of rhythm. I get my meds a little earlier each time and get them filled and put a few back out of each bottle for storage. IF there comes a time when it looks like it will be problematic getting the meds, I will start weaning myself off of them with the ones I have stored away, gradually decreasing the dosage.
This is the only thing I could come up with. Thankfully my children and partner do not take any meds at all, so I am counting our blessings there. I've also been studying up on herbal/plant uses & medicinal properties for a few years and started an organic herb garden, to see what does what to encourage stable health.
I'm curious to see what others may have to say about this...great thread, by the way! this is something I don't think very many have thought about. My real concern is the disabled/elderly population, who cannot fend for themselves and depend on outside caretakers to come and provide care. Could you imagine being trapped in a wheelchair starving to death?? awful thoughts, I know, but things we NEED to consider.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 09:25 AM
link   
I'm not sure there is really anything you could do for a long term solution. Unless you do stock up, but how long will that last you. If you are generally healthy it is possible to ween yourself off of the meds, or any other dependency you may have. But for someone with a major handicap, this could mean trouble. Real trouble.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Rede2go

This is something that has crossed my mind regularly because my son is an insulin dependant diabetic ... and even with a stock of insulin it would still have a use by date ... this is in fact one of my biggest concerns when TSHTF.

Woody

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by pisces77

Sounds like you have given good thougt to this and have made plans. I agree with you about the elderly many are so dependent on others. It will be extremely hard on them in an emergency.

My dad was on oxygen for years with emphysema, he made sure the company that supplied it was always early. It is amazing how many people you see with portable oxygen machines. I've talked to my family about what they would do and got them thinking. Prevention is the best answer if at all possible.

One thing to do is buy a book on prescription and non prescription drugs. They have a lot of useful information in them. If we have a total meltdown of society it might be necessary to go out and look for what you need.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   
I wouldn't worry so much about the true medical emergencies... There will be clinics and hospitals that will develop a new chain...

I would be worried about the near millions of Methadone/heroine/crack and prescription addicts that will not be able to find their meds.... this will be nearly the most dangerous pack of wolves in a SHTF scenario

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by pisces77

Pisces77 has the right idea. Saving a few meds when you can and getting your scripts filled as soon as possible is a great idea. That is not to say that anyone should take less of their medications than your doctor prescribes for you (unless it's something like pain meds that you might possibly be able to make do with less).

Beyond that there are home and folk remedies that one should investigate for their particular condition.

Finally, there are many wild plants with medicinal properties that may be of help. Everyone should research these as well just in case there is no alternative left. I have found many such plants that actually do work quite well.
I;m not going to be specific as I wouldn't want anyone to try something on my say-so and get themselves injured.

Very important topic and quite a difficult question to answer in a SHTF scenario.
S and F

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Extremely good question, I suffer from seizures so in essence that would be a very very miserable existence for myself and others who need medicine to live productive lives. In fact I would be stuck with my eye's closed on a rock some place not able to move and probably chocking on my own tongue.......Hopefully in the words of the insane crazy Mel Gibson pigeons would eat my eye balls....That was a joke because this is something I do fear.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Rede2go

Well, I have been collecting a stock pile. My insurance allows me to pick up meds 7 days in advance and that is what I do, 7 days earlier each month, so I have collected about two months at this point. I have heard of people explaining their concerns to their doctors who write them a script for the stock pile, but you have to pay out of pocket for it, and you have convince your doctor. Mine are too expensive for me to pay out of pocket for them, so I'm doing it more slowly.

Other than that, when the looting starts I'm heading straight for the pharmacy.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by searching4truth

Agreed - He who holds the antibiotics and painkillers will RULE THE WORLD ::enter evil laugh here::

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Dependence on meds is a huge issue.

No matter how many you can stock up, eventually pharma supplies will run out.

Case and point with me. I have to carry a shot kit because I have anaphylactic reactions to bees and other things. The shots are the only thing that keeps me alive long enough to get to a hospital.

I wouldn't gauge my survivability as high once there were no more meds and no emergency rooms.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   
I made sure I have a year's supply on hand. I just told my Dr that I had concerns about the economy and the fact that we can't depend on a regular influx of drugs to the stores and would he prescribe a year's supply for me to keep in my cupboard? He agreed to it. So I bought (paid for) a year's supply but I still get a refill every month.

It's worth a try, because you are right. If the system breaks down, there are going to be a LOT of people without the drugs they need. It's not going to be pretty.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
The thing is, people like me who are dependent on drugs will die. The only reason we are here is because a technology exists to keep us alive. If that tech fails, so will we.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Benev, its spooky how much you mirror my thoughts.
We got to be related.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by woodwytch

Hi there Woody! I can imagine your concern as I too am an insulin independent diabetic and have been for the last 24 years. Because I was so concerned about this I took a long, and I do mean a really long, look at the current studies being done on this topic using herbals & suppliments. I then took this information on various suppliments that I had researched to both my GP and Endocronologist for insight from their view point. Would this work? If so, how much of each and what kind of delivery system? Together with my Dr's assistance (and some testing under CLOSE watch) we were able to come up with a 'concoction' that in the case that SHTF would at least help sustain me. As good as an insulin shot 2x a day? No, but a good workable solution should insulin become unable to obtain. These herbals/suppliments are easily obtained and legal to do so in the US and some can even be found in the regular grocery stores, others are best found in natural food stores in the US. I now have a good supply of those items stored in vacuum seal bags in a dark place ready to go should I need them...and Lord ... I hope I never have to use them. It will be the best money I've ever spent only to be thrown away should they never be needed.

I hope this helps in some way if for nothing else to let you know there are others out there that are worried about the same subject.

top topics

join