It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Puppet Masters: Could controlling a worm's nervous system lead to better CP treatment?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Light Controls a Worm's Behavior: Scientists Commandeer Organism's Nervous System Without Wires or Electrodes

ScienceDaily (Jan. 18, 2011) — Physicists and bioengineers have developed an optical instrument allowing them to control the behavior of a worm just by shining a tightly focused beam of light at individual neurons inside the organism.

WOW! imagine the implications for medicine. Reanimating areas of the brain that have been damaged or blocked using light beams. Something to be used in concert with physical therapy to those suffering from Cerebral Palsy. Here's to hoping my imagination isn't too far off the mark!
edit on 23-1-2011 by projectvxn because: Title, grammar

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   
I could see this being used over a wide area, with multiple beams, to try to stimulate the brain to recover function. I know a pretty good candidate for that type of experimental treatment, Congresswoman Giffords.

I'm not too sure it would be viable in any way, however, as the difference in complexity between a worm and human neural network is similar as far as building blocks go, but vastly different as far as software. Could be the beginning of something great, however.

S+F!

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by sbctinfantry

That's exactly what I was thinking when I saw this article.

But I'm afraid that a worms brain is far more simple and while I would love to see Congresswoman Giffords get such theorized treatments, the reality is that she will probably be afforded what is available today in terms of neurological and physical therapy.

However, I think this technology will be used for CP and other neurological defects in the future. Gun shot wounds might be a bit more than can be handled realistically.
edit on 23-1-2011 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 12:22 AM
link   
Of course, there's always the possibility of abuse. Controlling a human mind by targeting single neurons with extremely focused light could lead to needed by proxy...I just don't like thinking that way.

new topics

top topics

join