It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Five myths about the civil war

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   
ok i personally (being australian) have no stake in this.
i always believed that slavery was a foofie... and that the civil war was about money and state rights.

www.washingtonpost.com...

comments please? especially from our civil war buffs!

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Sure, it was about the states right to slavery. Duh. I grew up in the south. I know the fallacious arguments against that but it is what it is.

I almost thought I'd click on the link and see a Civil War denial thread ala the holocaust. It didn't happen cuz I didn't see the bodies and wouldn't pay attention to documentary evidence!
edit on 18-1-2011 by pirhanna because: typo

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   
www.lewrockwell.com...

The only thing worse than a historian who calls himself a "Lincoln scholar" is a sociologist who does the same. This truth was on display recently in a January 9 Washington Post article entitled "Five Myths about Why the South Seceded" by one James W. Loewen.

Dr. Thomas J. DiLorenzo explains why the article is junk.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by okamitengu
ok i personally (being australian) have no stake in this.
i always believed that slavery was a foofie... and that the civil war was about money and state rights.

www.washingtonpost.com...

comments please? especially from our civil war buffs!

I suppose it depends on the views of the individual participants -

Here is Mississippi's Declaration

Mississippi

[Copied by Justin Sanders from "Journal of the State Convention", (Jackson, MS: E. Barksdale, State Printer, 1861), pp. 86-88]

A Declaration of the Immediate Causes which Induce and Justify the Secession of the State of Mississippi from the Federal Union.
In the momentous step which our State has taken of dissolving its connection with the government of which we so long formed a part, it is but just that we should declare the prominent reasons which have induced our course.

Our position is thoroughly identified with the institution of slavery-- the greatest material interest of the world. Its labor supplies the product which constitutes by far the largest and most important portions of commerce of the earth. These products are peculiar to the climate verging on the tropical regions, and by an imperious law of nature, none but the black race can bear exposure to the tropical sun. These products have become necessities of the world, and a blow at slavery is a blow at commerce and civilization. That blow has been long aimed at the institution, and was at the point of reaching its consummation. There was no choice left us but submission to the mandates of abolition, or a dissolution of the Union, whose principles had been subverted to work out our ruin.

South Carolina

South Carolina

[Copied by Justin Sanders from J.A. May & J.R. Faunt, *South Carolina Secedes* (U. of S. Car. Pr, 1960), pp. 76-81.]

Declaration of the Immediate Causes Which Induce and Justify the Secession of South Carolina from the Federal Union
The people of the State of South Carolina, in Convention assembled, on the 26th day of April, A.D., 1852, declared that the frequent violations of the Constitution of the United States, by the Federal Government, and its encroachments upon the reserved rights of the States, fully justified this State in then withdrawing from the Federal Union; but in deference to the opinions and wishes of the other slaveholding States, she forbore at that time to exercise this right. Since that time, these encroachments have continued to increase, and further forbearance ceases to be a virtue.

GOOD SECTION HERE

This sectional combination for the submersion of the Constitution, has been aided in some of the States by elevating to citizenship, persons who, by the supreme law of the land, are incapable of becoming citizens; and their votes have been used to inaugurate a new policy, hostile to the South, and destructive of its beliefs and safety.

edit on 18-1-2011 by Janky Red because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by mnemeth1
www.lewrockwell.com...

The only thing worse than a historian who calls himself a "Lincoln scholar" is a sociologist who does the same. This truth was on display recently in a January 9 Washington Post article entitled "Five Myths about Why the South Seceded" by one James W. Loewen.

Dr. Thomas J. DiLorenzo explains why the article is junk.

The state declarations of the states that actually seceded explain why Tom is junk

Why are you pro slave state anyhow??? You keep up this meme, yet you talk about freedom and tyranny a whole lot.

edit on 18-1-2011 by Janky Red because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join