It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How close is this! ?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   
even if this comet was 270 meters?

I have to go now, ill be back on tomorrow
edit on 17-1-2011 by Itop1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Itop1

Also, you should join Yahoo Answers forum. It's not only pretty fun, but if you ever have a random question like that, you can get on there and ask (that would be in the Science & Mathematics/Astronomy section), and within a few minutes you'll get an answer back...

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Itop1
even if this comet was 270 meters?

270 meters is the size of a small hill. How much gravity does a small hill have?

Re: the distance: I often use convertit.com to solve these sorts of problems. Just type in .0037AU in the left box and the unit you want (km, miles, cubits...) in the right box and hit "enter". Voila! 553,512.1227 km (or 1,210,656,436.35171 Biblical cubits
).

At that distance, the Earth's gravity exerts a pull equal to 1/ 7548th of what we feel on the surface, so not much (though it may tweak the object's orbit very slightly - these things add-up over time).

Good questions and good thread!

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by pazcat

Hey pazcat, cool graphics! Any idea what would happen if it hit our moon?

Also, someone posted the RSOE EDIS site. There's a scolling banner across the top, which I've never seen them post before. It says...

Climate Change News : 17.01.2011 09:58 - Melting glaciers threaten Peru on many fronts | 17.01.2011 10:04 - Extreme weather and climate change.
Weird, huh?
Here's that link again
Edit to add: Ok, off topic here (unless I can stretch it to relate to 'impact') but I clicked on the bird icon over California on the same site and the event description said:

The mystery surrounding 100 dead birds between Healdsburg and Geyserville appears to be solved. The European starlings were found dead on the roadway and shoulder at Highway 101 and Independence Lane, just south of Geyserville Saturday afternoon. State wildlife officials Tuesday said the birds were hit by a truck, a conclusion drawn from a witness statement and the condition of the birds at the scene. “All the signs point to blunt force trauma,” said Andrew Hughan, spokesman for the state Department of Fish and Game. “It looks like they were hit by a truck.”.... ...brief necropsies showed the birds suffered broken necks, Hughan said.... ...It appears a swarm of the birds flew directly in front of a big rig, he said. The big rig didn’t stop, but a witness later called authorities to report seeing the bird strike, Hughan said. “She said it looked like they were committing suicide,” he said.
Starlings, huh? 100 hit by one truck??? Looked like they were... committing suicide?!

Sorry, back to the topic at hand, folks!

edit on 1/17/2011 by new_here because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join