It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists able to make something vibrate but stand still at the same time?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   
I remember members talking about this. Could someone post a link to where this was talked about in the news, like a science website or something. I am searching for it, but I can't seem to find it. Maybe I am using the wrong search terms. I'd really like a link to where this was in the news, so I can show someone what I am talking about.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   
I think this is what you are looking for and involves quantum ground states -

www.nature.com...

Andrew Cleland at the University of California, Santa Barbara, and his team cooled a tiny metal paddle until it reached its quantum mechanical 'ground state' — the lowest-energy state permitted by quantum mechanics. They then used the weird rules of quantum mechanics to simultaneously set the paddle moving while leaving it standing still. The experiment shows that the principles of quantum mechanics can apply to everyday objects as well as as atomic-scale particles.

Hope that helps!

~Namaste

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   
I've heard about this, and it's very interesting. There is also the ability to have a single atom in two places at once, the premise behind quantum computing.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   
You can also have 2 atoms in the same place....Another you can be sitting in your lap right now......

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   
So are they saying that the quantum discrepancies of particles can be harnessed for movement? And that they proved this by eliminating heat as a source of particle movement while inducing quantum variation?

top topics

join