It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Local Arizona GOPer Resigns:

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Local Arizona GOPer Resigns:

tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmemo .com

An Arizona Republican Party District Chairman resigned shortly after the shooting of Rep. Gabrielle Giffords (D-AZ) and 18 others on Saturday. According to The Arizona Republic, Anthony Miller had been subject to verbal attacks and internet postings by apparent Tea Party members, and said he feared for his safety.

"I wasn't going to resign but decided to quit after what happened Saturday," Miller told the Republic. "I love the Republican Party but I don't want to take a bullet for anyone."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Well, I really don't know what to say. I guess the coming months will dictate how this entire issue goes down in the books. Interesting to see how things will develop from here on out.

Is the intimidation of government officials allowable in the current political environment? Should it ever be allowed? Is it time that the rhetoric from both sides of the political spectrum are toned down?

tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmemo .com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   
I can understand this persons scare.... but if youre gonna be a political figure and wanna be someone who does something great, you can't run and hide from a single incident. Probably better that he left, we don't need weak people in office.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by 11PB11
I can understand this persons scare.... but if youre gonna be a political figure and wanna be someone who does something great, you can't run and hide from a single incident. Probably better that he left, we don't need weak people in office.

You've got weak people in office - criminals, fraudsters, liars, theives - that's what I call weakness.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   
My initial though was what a coward...It's now being reported that the gunman was not motivated politically--didn't watch the news or listen to talk radio but I'm sure those who can politically benefit will promote it that way still.My point is, this man was destined to murder, had he not been kicked out of school we would have had another school massacre reported instead. I read a book once called The Anatomy of Motive which goes into these types of killings--we're probably going to learn he was infatuated with his victim.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by TheOneElectric

Respectuflly can we maybe find a source that is not linked to liberal websites? I did a search trying to find more information on this and all of the typical sites are carrying it (DailyKos, alternet.org, blogforarizona, realitycheck.org etc etc etc).

EDIT: Nevermind, found this article that gives more information

Gabr ielle Giffords' Arizona shooting prompts resignations

After reading both articles I think it goes beyond this incident. There have been some issues for some time apparently within the organization. He cited people with potential links to the Tea Party, and not tea party members. There was also an internal power issue occuring, where others were accusing him of being a Mcain Hack and what not.

THis is why I was looking for a different source to get the entire picture.
edit on 12-1-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by TheOneElectric

Any public figure is at risk, he should have known that going into the election. Doesn't matter who, news reporter, politician, etc. If you are any type of leader or placed in a spotlight, you are at risk. Hell, he may even be at risk after leaving, who knows?

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
Thomas Jefferson

Too bad, he should have stayed in office.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
I guess I understand his fear.

But if you ask me, risking taking a bullet for your political office should be a risk factor demanded of anyone in the political arena.

I mean...what do you expect? Safety?

Like I said, I guess I understand his position on this, but if you are so afraid to die for your service to our country that you quit when you come to the realization that it is a dangerous occupation- then Its best you never run in the first place.

Politics is a dangerous sport...it has been so since before the birth of Christ. If you didn't know that when you signed up to "help lead the people", than you probably don't belong at that desk anyways.

Maybe he can get a safe job somewhere...yknow...somewhere away from the center of our nation's political machine.

Thinking "I will only serve the people of America as long as there is no risk of losing my life as I serve liberty", seems a little too weak for a leader...IMHO.

I do understand his fears...but I rather a man or woman come forward to lead who knows fully well the risks of the job and the bravery faces the danger to lead our country forward.

You want an easy job with perks and power? Stay out of office. We don't need cowards or corner campers in office.

MM

edit on 12-1-2011 by Mr Mask because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheOneElectric

Is the intimidation of government officials allowable in the current political environment? Should it ever be allowed?

"Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security."
- Declaration of Independence

This is what makes America different. It was founded on the idea that when faced with an illegal government it is our responsibility and duty to do away with it.

What short memories some of us have.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   
So, a coward quits? Who cares? Moreover, who is surprised? If his moral fiber is so weak, we are better off without him in office. Man up,or go home? Guess he is going home.

top topics

join