It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US defence secretary warns China not to “underestimate” US military power

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 01:19 AM
link   

In an extraordinary statement while flying to China for a three-day visit last Sunday, US Secretary of Defence Robert Gates warned Beijing not to underestimate the United States and its military power.

“I’ve watched this sort of cyclical view of American decline come around two or three times, perhaps most dramatically in the latter half of the 1970s,” Gates told reporters. “And my general line for those both at home and around the world who think the US is in decline is that history’s dustbins are filled with countries that underestimated the resilience of the United States.”

Source

Well...dont know what to say to things like that anymore...im speechless really...

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 01:40 AM
link   
i hope we dont even think about tht. its very scarey.....why cant our goverment just leave everybody alone, no wander why other countries hate us, im embaresed to be a american......thats a shame...

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 01:51 AM
link   
No surprise really.

It's US foreign policy to a tee.

Exporting death to make a buck via arms.
overthrowing governments and installing puppets.
invasion and genocide in the name of democracy.
economic threats and blackmail via 'free' trade agreements.

Church on Sunday, Oppression on Monday

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 01:54 AM
link   
reply to post by bully39

China is a huge threat to the planet.

Don't be ashamed of the US, be proud.

Someone has to save us from China.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 01:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by bully39
i hope we dont even think about tht. its very scarey.....why cant our goverment just leave everybody alone, no wander why other countries hate us, im embaresed to be a american......thats a shame...

It's another shame all together you're unable to use spellcheck.net... The reason other parts of the World dislike us is the role we've unwillingly played. That of an attack dog for the banking syndicate.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 02:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by catwhoknowsplusone
reply to post by bully39

I really hope you are only beeing sarcastic in that Post...because the way the US Govt. is acting lately is not funny anymore. There are enough signs on the Horizon that they want WW3 to happen with severe Threats like that.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 02:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by catwhoknowsplusone
reply to post by bully39

Yes, China is a huge threat. However, the US is the main reason why they have become so powerful over the past couple of decades. And considering that the US tax payers pay about 700 billion annually to fight the same people that their government empowered, makes me think that shame is more warranted than pride.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 03:07 AM
link   
I just wish our miltary woke up and decided to remove this government and hang them all and install a True American government like the founding father wanted it to be.

Doesn't surprize me another war big deal to them just more money from us to pay for it even if we don't want it why do we have morons in a leadership role???

This reminds me of a old thread from a time travler from like 9000 something and he said CHINA would invade the U.S. and destroy it in the year 2030 I am sure someone else read the thread it was really interesting.

Our troops should be here to defend our country from invasion and no were else I see us sooner or later being destroyed for attacking the wrong country and the China and maybe even Russia who knows but its coming.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 03:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Shenon

I just wonder who the hell teaches these pollies diplomacy??

His stated reason for visiting China..

Gates was officially heading to China to restore military-to-military exchanges,

Maybe I read "exchanges" in the wrong context..

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 03:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by slipknotrules2009
I just wish our miltary woke up and decided to remove this government and hang them all and install a True American government like the founding father wanted it to be.

Doesn't surprize me another war big deal to them just more money from us to pay for it even if we don't want it why do we have morons in a leadership role???

This reminds me of a old thread from a time travler from like 9000 something and he said CHINA would invade the U.S. and destroy it in the year 2030 I am sure someone else read the thread it was really interesting.

Our troops should be here to defend our country from invasion and no were else I see us sooner or later being destroyed for attacking the wrong country and the China and maybe even Russia who knows but its coming.

Serious Question...seen any Anti-Israel Propaganda in the MSM lately? (im only getting CNN here)

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 03:19 AM
link   
OK, let's run away and cry.

That is no help.

That invites more bullies.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 04:45 AM
link   
Why are we threatening the only nation who can collapse us financially without firing one shot? How you ask, simple, shut down US bound exports and guess what? With a majority of our manufacturing base in China means unequivocally that they can cripple us and not spend one cent extra on defense.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 07:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Shenon

He is a military person talking in a military way, although youd expect that kind of talk from somebody further down the totem pole, a general, not the face of the military.

top topics

join