It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

14 killed in clashes in Tunisia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 12:32 AM
link   
At least 14 people were killed in clashes between demonstrators and police over the weekend in western Tunisia, the official TAP news agency said on Monday.
Protesting unemployment and other social woes, the demonstrators attacked petrol stations, public buildings and police offices on Saturday in the city of Thala by throwing Molotov cocktails and stones, it said.

Police officers used weapons in "legitimate defense," to prevent the protestors from entering government buildings. The clashes spread to several towns on Sunday.

Media reports said the demonstrations and riots were triggered by the death of a 26-year-old university graduate, who set himself on fire on Dec. 17 in the southern city of Sidi Bouzid, after local municipal police confiscated his unlicensed fruit cart.

Officials, however, blamed "a small group of violent extremists" for inciting the protests.

Communications Minister Samir Labidia told al Jazeera television on Sunday that the government is ready for a dialogue with the young people.

"The message has been received," he said. "We are going to review what needs to be reviewed, we are going to correct what needs to be corrected, but the violence is a red line."

Tunisia is the northmost country in Africa with a population of about 10 million and has been known for domestic stability.

There is no confirmed link between the latest riots in Tunisia and what was going on in neighboring Algeria, which was recently plagued by lethal unrest over joblessness and food prices.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 08:53 AM
link   
reply to post by skyvia

You should provide the link to this story as Africa will start to take up more of the news as food prices soar and Sudan gets split in half to protect its oil.

- mike

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   
I am very surprised that this thread is not getting more of a response. There is some troubling news coming out of Tunisia which is a popular holiday resort for Brits and Germans. I have been there on my hols a few years back . Now holiday companies are flying their customers home and there is a travel warning from the UK and the US.From what I can gather men I protesting about lack of jobs, theses protests have got very violent an police have used live rounds with 60 deaths so far. Breaking news is that there now is a state of emergency and the Prime minister has taken control of the country after the president fled. www.jpost.com...

nisian president flees'; PM announces he's taking power
By ASSOCIATED PRESS
01/14/2011 20:06

After declaring state of emergency and dismissing entire government, Ben Ali reportedly in France; military closes Tunisian airspace.

TUNISIA — Violent anti-government protests drove Tunisian President Zine El Abidine Ben Ali from power Friday after 23 years of iron-fisted rule, as anger over soaring unemployment and corruption spilled into the streets.

Thousands of demonstrators from all walks of life mobbed the capital of Tunis on Friday to demand Ben Ali's ouster, the culmination of weeks of protests that have swept the country. Tunisian Prime Minister Mohammed Ghannouchi went on state television to announce that he is assuming power in this North African nation known for its sandy beaches and ancient ruins.

www.reuters.com...

edit on 14-1-2011 by tarifa37 because: (no reason given)

join