It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Research Team Reveals Moon Has Earth-Like Core

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   
A very interesting finding for those of us that dig planetology:

NASA Research Team Reveals Moon Has Earth-Like Core

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a837fc2e1942.jpg[/atsimg]

State-of-the-art seismological techniques applied to Apollo-era data suggest our moon has a core similar to Earth's. Uncovering details about the lunar core is critical for developing accurate models of the moon's formation. The data sheds light on the evolution of a lunar dynamo -- a natural process by which our moon may have generated and maintained its own strong magnetic field

The team's findings suggest the moon possesses a solid, iron-rich inner core with a radius of nearly 150 miles and a fluid, primarily liquid-iron outer core with a radius of roughly 205 miles. Where it differs from Earth is a partially molten boundary layer around the core estimated to have a radius of nearly 300 miles. The research indicates the core contains a small percentage of light elements such as sulfur, echoing new seismology research on Earth that suggests the presence of light elements -- such as sulfur and oxygen -- in a layer around our own core. .

Read full article HERE

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Damn atsimage tag!
I don't get why sometimes it gives me the scrollbars and sometimes it gives me THIS...
Oh well...

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   
I just don't know about that moon anymore..

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 12:26 AM
link   
can someone please point me to an informational source on how science interprets and understands seismic waves to look inside of earth.. I haven't been finding anything really superb.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 05:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by BornParadox
can someone please point me to an informational source on how science interprets and understands seismic waves to look inside of earth.. I haven't been finding anything really superb.

About the Earths Core

Ask an Earth Scientist

Geology for kids (good site)

What I am curious about is how this announcement can be rectified with what occured when slammed into it with one of our moon landings ships. It was reported to ring like a bell, and is something that we do not observe on earth because of our core / mantle area.

How can science determine a core is present when back in the day it rang like a bell?

top topics

join