It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Army Survival Guide....For Your Android Phone!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   
www.appbrain.com...

Put the entire U.S. Army survival guide on your phone, offline. Can install on sd card(2.2+). Based on the U.S. Army Survival Manual FM 3-05.70

I just downloaded it. As long as you can power up your phone you can read this guide. I would think it has some useful information. Enjoy!

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Or you could just buy one in paper and it would probably be cheaper and if its the real version then its pretty big so you would save memory also and would have it if you battery on your phone died.

Its not that interesting either, but I been in a long time and sometimes forget civilians get giddy over little things like this.

That was not meant as an insult.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Awesome. I've been thinking about SHTF situations for a long time, and having easy access to things like this is a very, very useful thing.

Becoming - not everyoen has the means to carry around all the survival lit in their backpack, whether it be due to infirmity or simple lack of space. It's also free, and can be installed to the SD card. Regarding phone battery, you can always make a solar charger - lifehacker has tutorials available. Even if your phone breaks, with this on your SD card, you can always salvage another phone to read this on if needs be.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Got it a couple of days ago, love it! Lots of info. Especially like the real color photos of edible/nonedible/medicinal plants ect...I'm new to the South West, so now I feel better about wandering the dessert. The compass app goes good with it. I'm also new to smartphones (MyTouch 4G w/ android) and I cant stop installing apps.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by 25cents

Its 288 pages.

Its a decent size, but better then carrying around a SD chip with no phone when you might want to know how deep your poop hole should be dug.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Becoming

It's a free app. But I do agree hard copies are always the best. However, once I read it I got it. My brain is like carbonite.....when I haven't been smoking

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Becoming

A print copy is definitely useulf, I'm not denying that - but it's succeptible to its own infallibilities. This is just another method to carry around useful data.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Know where water is.
Know where food-on-the-hoof is.
Can lean sticks against a tree and cover with branches.

I guess it's very helpful for city dwellers in an emergency "get-the-hell-out-of-Dodge-and-into-the-bush" kinda thing.

Sometimes we forget how much has been "unlearned" by generations who never got off pavement.

If you do wish to put it on a phone for emergencies, get a solar charger, use an old phone you don't need, and put both in a small galvanized garbage can. (LID ON!)

1 EMP from a solar flare or attack, and all the info in the world stored on your sd card will be useless when your phone is fried.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

You can also download FM 21-76 in PDF format and store it in your file manager.

Works for Iphones as well.

I use my Droid 2 as a backup to my brain for survival info. Solar chargers negate the need for a source of electricity to charge your phone.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by gotrox

Ah, hadn't considered that.

Maybe I should build myself a little cache in an out of the way place...

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   
If your phone is over a year old chances are your phone would die long before you could even get into it. By the way, why in the world would you want an army survival guide? I cannot think of a single thing the army does that makes me think i wish i could do that like them.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 02:36 AM
link   
reply to post by 25cents

Doesn't really have to be out of the way.
Just 1 little galvanized can sitting on the ground makes a fine Faraday cage.
Wrap all your little electronic gizmos in heavy cloth (batteries separated from the devices), put the wrapped bundles in a heavy plastic bag and yer done.
Pick one day a month to open it up, check the cloth for moisture, and charge all the batteries.
In a closet would work also, if you get heavy freezing.
LCD screens don't like to freeze.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   
It might be an interesting read. I use my phone to pass the time when I have errands to run, so I like to have a loaded ereader and items like this for those times. Just thought others might enjoy it too.

Originally posted by Kayzar
If your phone is over a year old chances are your phone would die long before you could even get into it. By the way, why in the world would you want an army survival guide? I cannot think of a single thing the army does that makes me think i wish i could do that like them.

new topics

top topics

join