It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What do YOU know?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 09:09 AM
link   
I love reading the posts on this site.

But one thing bugs the hell out of me.

What do you know?

Don't get it? Probably not, let me explain....

How many times do i see a topic about lets say, the dead birds recently. All these threads pop up and claim:
"SOURCE: (INSERT RANDOM INTERNET PAGE HERE)
Some time Somewhere abuch of dead birds were found."

Then people freak out, people try to debunk, but you know what, noone really knows what happens. EVER. How does anyone have room to talk when they don't know what happened, they weren't there, they didn't write the article, noone in the thread is at the location, no one can confirm and of this is true expect from random news article and maybe the occasional MSM news story.

But noone has been there, how do we have the right to say it happened at all?

I think back to all the 9/11 conspiracies. Yes i belive it was an inside job, but i don't know. Noone knows. We will never know. Pointing fingers joining one side and shooting down the other is obscure. Where are all the eye witnesses? Who was there? NOONE? How do we know it even happened?

This leads me to the point...

How do we know the world even exists?

Yeah sure some people have traveled, but i know atleast for me, i haven't gone anywhere. I live in the USA on the east coast. I've been to the sourthern tip of Florida, to as far north in canada i could go. That's it.

Who am i to say anything?

Who am i to say that Europre, mexico, South America, Africa, Australia even exists?

I've never been there i have no solid evidence, just reading, pictures, and what i've been told.

In reality us as humans know nothing, who is to say we are right? Who is to say gravity is real? Who is to say we are all not just living in a dome, and earth doesn't exist, the solar system just a fabricated lie.

How do we know?

Who here has been to space? Do we know space is even real? Or is it just made up?

Who are we humans, and what makes us think we can have an understanding of anything?

Ok rant done.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 09:25 AM
link   

How do we know the world even exists?

If you are some some trouble connecting to reality, try punching or whacking yourself in the leg really hard so it does hurt, try not to brake a bone as they take a while to repair. Pain is a strong way to connect to reality and makes you very much aware of your presence and this reality. It can get a bit weird if you continually injure yourself, but trying it out just to help make a connection to what is real can help.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   
I see what you mean, and I also think about that often

But...

Thats why you need to stay openminded. If you are openminded, then you don't need to choose any 'sides'.

Like the UFO subject. I find it really fascinating and many of the things I hear, I find interesting.
But,
I don't belive 100%, I need to stay a little sceptic, as I always does, but same time be openminded about the subject, instead of being the sterotype-sceptic who comes and think he have right..

I was discussing the subject with one of my sceptic freinds. And we were talking about paranormal, and he said I was beliveing all that.

I said: "wait a minute mate. I don't belive any of the stuff I hear, I just let it come and see what I can do about it.
Like you, you are the most sceptic person I have ever met, but you don't know ANYTHING about the things you are being sceptical about."

And that is really annoying. You can't be sceptic about a subject, when you haven't searched about it, or know anything about it.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Yeah but if everyone just sat there like a bump on a log and said ok to every thread then what fun would this site be?
It gives good conversations. I've learned alot from these people. Not to mention, some of the things on here are obviously fake and it's the debunkers job to point out the things that make it fake. Why believe something that really isnt real? It does get frustrating, you just have to sit back, relax and not let it get to you. If you truly believe something is real then thats all that matters. You can't win everyone's vote in the world. SOMEONE is going to disagree. Its human nature..

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 10:13 AM
link   
I've given this idea ample thought too over the years.
I think there's a name for it too, something like 'Observer created universe' or something like that.

I've explored the idea that what we know and percieve is just an impression of our sensory input, and if all our senses were switched off, would the world and all it's facts and information cease to be true, or even exist?

All this led me to the conclusion that if this is true, I am ultimately completely and utterly alone in a totally egocentric universe of which I must be the creator, knowingly, or otherwise.

However, this kind of fails to explain why there are some others who are far more powerful and clever than I am, unless I am part of a greater 'self' with which I will one day become reconciled, including all the other 'cleverer' selves.

As you pointed out, we don't know, and probably never will, but it's interesting and fun trying to find out, and the way I see it, as long as there is a semblance of a reality out there which behaves as though it is real, I may as well treat it as such.

Thanks for the interesting thread.

new topics

top topics

join