It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jonah, Fact or Fiction?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 03:19 PM
link   
In Mathew 12:40 , Jesus predicts his own burial and resurrection, and provides the doubting scribes and Pharisees the sign they demanded.The sign being the experience of Jonah.Jesus said,"for as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of the great fish, so will the son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth" If the book of Jonah was indeed fiction this would not provide any prophetic support for Jesus' claim. Point being is that if they did not believe the story of Jonah they would not believe the death, and burial, and resurrection of Jesus. As far as Jesus was conccerned, the fact of his own death,burial,and resurrection was on the same ground factually as Jonah.If you reject one you reject the other, If you believe one you believe the other.

Any thoughts?
edit on 27-12-2010 by oliveoil because: no reason

edit on 27-12-2010 by oliveoil because: above reason

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by oliveoil

While the status of Jonah as parable or history may be debatable (I lean towards parable), the use of parable in those times as evidence was apparently common.

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Where exactly is the conspiracy here ?

You want to discuss a man that likely never existed discussing a man that lived inside a fish ?

Why don't you take this to church or a bible study group to hammer out with other people that subscribe to the same delusion ?

If you want to discuss a conspiracy then the xtian delusion imho has top be the biggest conspiracy of all time and a great topic for booting around here.

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by The Djin

I do believe I posted this in the correct forum. Maybe its you who should be posting in another forum

FYI: usually the people who post in this forum are adherents.
edit on 27-12-2010 by oliveoil because: (no reason given)

Also,

How is this a conspiracy?
Either you believe or its all a lie. GET IT ?

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 04:46 PM
link   

I give any holy scriptures at least as much credence as UFO myths and Legends. I think the three days in the belly of the fish was an important encoded piece of information. Later on in John 21:11 another piece of the puzzle shows up.

Simon Peter went up, and drew the net to land full of great fishes, an hundred and fifty and three: and for all there were so many, yet was not the net broken.

The Romans at the time were working out the Julian calendar along with a global navigation network of latitude and longitude. For some reason they liked finger counts on hands. 5 * 73 = 365 days in a year 5 * 72 = 360 the number of degrees on a compass and 5 * 47 = 235 the number of months in the metonic cycle. The Greeks chose to space the degrees of latitude so that there are 23.5 degrees between the equator and each of the tropics.

Curiously enough if you multiply 4200 years by exactly 365 days you get 153,3000 days. Now subtract the three days of being stuck in the belly of the fish 1532997. Now simply divide that number by 10,000 base 47 and Viola!

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 04:49 PM
link   

My name is Jonah, and I am real. Also, my greatest fear is being out in the middle of the ocean surrounded by sharks/big fish.

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by oliveoil
In Mathew 12:40 , Jesus predicts his own burial and resurrection, and provides the doubting scribes and Pharisees the sign they demanded.The sign being the experience of Jonah.Jesus said,"for as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of the great fish, so will the son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth"

This was a parable and the literal interpretation regarding the three days as the time of Jesus going to the underworld to preach to the dead and then surfacing again and then being taken up is all a fantastic falsehood. Your religious leaders have made up a lot of ear tickling lies because they have had no spiritual understanding of any of this. Religion has always been a tool and game of commerce.

What it really means is this:

Jonah was Dagon the fish god. He was thrown from the boat as a scapegoat offering because it was decided that a human sacrifice was needed to stop the storm. As you can see from the illustration, it shows a man "in the belly of a fish". It is all about the false religions that require human sacrifices to appease the rages of nature which are attributed to an angry god.

The "three days" represents a length of evolutionary time, not a literal 72 hours. You would understand this if you listen to Ian Lungold's explanation of the 7 days of creation.

The importance of this parable is describing the time period of man being misled by erroneous philosophies. Jesus knew that his own death would be used to promote the idea of scapegoat human sacrifice when he sarcastically made reference to it at the "Last Supper" by alluding to the wine as being his blood. He knew that his death would be used to appease the masses and these bloody rituals would continue. He knew that his death would be perverted and used to further an evil doctrine.

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Ever see the goldfish trick done by Steve-o from Jackass?

Just imagine that but reverse the roles and make the fish a lot bigger!

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Alethea

So what exactly are you trying to say?This does not "mesh up" to modern day Christianity (any denomination) nor Catholicism theology. My understanding was that this was literal not a parable

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by oliveoil
reply to post by Alethea

This does not "mesh up" to modern day Christianity (any denomination) nor Catholicism theology.

Yes, it is still very much a part of modern day Christianity. Churches hold a special ceremony to commemorate the blood drinking ritual on a regular basis.

Also, people claim "salvation" (which they interpret as a 'right to live in Heaven'), on the basis of a human blood sacrifice. It's a false philosophy.

Jonah represents a human sacrifice; Jesus also.
edit on 27-12-2010 by Alethea because: (no reason given)

top topics

join