It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Qur'an compaired to other religious texts (aka it's not organized logically)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   
I'm into comparative religion and I noticed that the Qur'an isn't organized in any type of logical order. It changes topics all the time and has no chronological structure at all. This is in contrast to other sacred texts that ARE organized in a logical manner. How can the Qur'an be a continuation of the Old and New Testament? They both are organized and easy to read. The Qur'an is a disorganized mess, schizophrenic as it were.

If the Qur'an is the word of God then how come it's such a mixed up mess? Wouldn't God have it organized in a logical manner? The Bhagavad Gita is organized, The Bible is organized, Upanishads organized, Buddhist texts organized, etc. Honestly the Qur'an is the only text that I can come across that is a jumbled mess to read. Is Allah a god of chaos?

To me the most logically way it should be organized is earlier revelations first organized by topic and or by whom the text is referring to ie Moses, Noah, Jesus, etc. Then after that the later verses organized by topic and or by whom it's referring to. Instead of having it all mixed together.

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   

I noticed that the Qur'an isn't organized in any type of logical order.

It's organized into surahs, single recitations, by length of recitation. That's a typical feature of handmade books. The chronological order of recitations is known, and used when appropriate. Here is an example of the ordinal tables:

www.bombaxo.com...

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 12:49 PM
link   
I'm not an expert on the Quran, and while I do have one, of the late Rashid Khalifa who founded the ONLY Islamic branch I like, the Quran Only branch, that rejects hadith, and sharia, etc.

But back to the OP, Islam's history is pretty much like Mormonism. But the way the Quran was put together, if Muhammed went in the cave, and the angel Gabriel would tell him stuff, and then he'd come out of the cave and repeat it, and someone wrote it down. This went on for over 20 years, and then eventually, all the parts were put together, they were not "revealed" in order, so they were put in order, and this is what became the Quran.

The Bible though, is a whole mess of various books, the Torah, OT, and then the later NT books, of various authors written in various times. These were compiled and later made into what we call the Bible, I think over 100 years after Jesus died, at the Council of Nicea. The idea as I gather it, was to make an authoritive version, and close down the altenative branches, as they rejected many books to be included in the Bible.

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Yeah but the Bible sticks to one story when it's recounting it. When you read about Moses in Exodus it's about Moses. In the Quran when it mentions Moses it's scattered out and gets mixed in with other stories. That's not organized.

When I read the creation account I find it in Genesis, in the Quran it's scattered out in different Surahs that's not organized.

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Each verse of the Qur'an was revealed at different times to address a specific issue at the moment.
The Qur'an was revealed slowly during a 23 year span.
The Qur'an is not simply a chronological story book like the Bible or books of other religions.
Each individual verse was revealed to Muhammad depending on what was happening at that moment.
While the Qur'an seems illogical the way it jumps back and forth between different subjects, it makes all the sense when you study the Tafsir related to each verse.
Tafsir is the background information regarding each individual verse.

posted on Nov, 20 2015 @ 07:30 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 08:50 AM
link   
a reply to: TinFoilHatMan55

Every book is organised according to its purpose.
Quran's purpose is to get a message across by making the reader think and reflect.

There is a lot of repetition of topics that are more important and some with slight variations which in itself serves a purpose.
The stories are also broken up to only support the point/moral that is being conveyed.

The Quran right at the start clears that "This is a book of guidance for people who are God conscious" (2:2)
Who are coming to it with humility and not preconceived ideas and notions.

new topics

top topics

join