It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US inmates go on strike, demand wages and education

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 05:12 AM
link   
To have an ability to strike is a freedom for which these inmates lost their freedom the second they decided to commit a crime. Nullifies that right quick.

As ID :HomerInNC said at post 2 to this thread :
"time for lockdown, no commissary, no phone calls, their attitude will change FAST".

This I agree with. The States already pay about $200,000 a year per inmate to keep them imprisoned so for the state to put even more on the card makes no fiscal or financial sense. Add to his list, "no visitors".

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 05:23 AM
link   
They are in PRISON! They do NOT deserve anything!!!!

This pisses me off. They are in jail for committing crimes, they do not deserve health care or an education or wages. They should have thought about that BEFORE they did their crime

You do the crime you DO the time!!

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

well not everyone in prison is a violent psychopath... Some people are in prison for stupid things, like say possession of one of many natural plants that big brother say we cannot have. There are lots of reasons people are in prison, one of the most common reason is being poor. You can't afford a lawyer, chances are you are going to get a court appointed lawyer that doesn't have your best interests in mind. They will do whatever they can to convince you to plea bargain, even if you are innocent. People need to pull their head out of the sand and look around. The justice system is a joke, judges, lawyers getting kickbacks from prison owners to make sure their prisons have a steady stream of people to make money off of. One of the reasons that people once convicted end up committing more crime is because of people like you, painting them with a scarlet letter. People that think like you, and think all ex convicts are scum, and don't deserve another chance to have a normal life.
edit on Sun, 26 Dec 2010 12:07:09 -0600 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL

well not everyone in prison is a violent psychopath... Some people are in prison for stupid things, like say possession of one of many natural plants that big brother say we cannot have. There are lots of reasons people are in prison, one of the most common reason is being poor. You can't afford a lawyer, chances are you are going to get a court appointed lawyer that doesn't have your best interests in mind. They will do whatever they can to convince you to plea bargain, even if you are innocent. People need to pull their head out of the sand and look around. The justice system is a joke, judges, lawyers getting kickbacks from prison owners to make sure their prisons have a steady stream of people to make money off of. One of the reasons that people once convicted end up committing more crime is because of people like you, painting them with a scarlet letter. People that think like you, and think all ex convicts are scum, and don't deserve another chance to have a normal life.
edit on Sun, 26 Dec 2010 12:07:09 -0600 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

Wow don't put words in my mouth. Did I say I think all ex convicts are scum? Wow you have NO idea what you are talking about. You know nothing about me and my thoughts on ex convicts and criminals.

Also blaming people as to why criminals are repeat offenders is ridiculous. It's nobodies fault but their own. They CHOOSE to make that decision, nobody forces them to do it.

Not all people in prision deserve to be there I agree but the majority do and do not deserve "perks" of any kind.

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 04:16 PM
link   

You might want to look into why people go into prison for simple possession of an outlawed plant, or one of the other idiotic victimless crimes on the books, turn into people that rob other people. Because society treats them like scum, they cannot get a decent job, because of the invasive backround checks that employers run before hiring you. Yes, I say society bears some of the guilt, I hope you don't one day go to jail for something stupid, or even a crime you didn't commit. Then you will see first hand how much it sucks to have done time, then come out and try to lead a lawful life. I personally know a few people like that. There are ex gangbangers out there not only trying to lead a good life, but out there being an activist, speaking with poor kids all the time trying to help them not make the same mistake. Even though they are now good people, they cannot find a decent job, and struggle just to keep a roof over their heads.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 03:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver
They are in PRISON! They do NOT deserve anything!!!!

This pisses me off. They are in jail for committing crimes, they do not deserve health care or an education or wages. They should have thought about that BEFORE they did their crime

You do the crime you DO the time!!

It is the right of every citizen to be afforded healthcare. This is the basic thinking and principle behind the recent Healthcare Reform bill. When did the size of one's wealth dictate wether or not they got coverage? Prisoners doing time right now forever retain thier legal US citizenship.
edit on 7-1-2011 by TheImmaculateD1 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join