It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brown: UK unemployment will rise to 20%

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 01:25 AM
link   
I have just been reading a very disturbing BBC article in which that bumbling fool Gorbon Brown says a few disturbing things:

We are still paying the price for the lost generation of wasted lives of the 1980s. Now we have a new social time bomb in the making.

The article also says the following:

The former Labour leader, who has written a book about the global economic crisis, predicted that youth unemployment would rise to more than 20% - with one in three out of work in the worst-hit areas

Personally, although I think the guy is a complete idiot, I think he could be right! (I totally disagree with his "wasted lives" comment, however)

If we look at the recent tuition fees saga, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out that that trebling university fees will result in fewer people receiving higher education, and therefore more people will be out of work.

The Belfast Telegraph goes so far as to say the following:

Trebling university fees is a cynical attempt by the coalition to punish the young and poor in favour of older, fat-cat voters. They must not succeed

I dont actually agree with this statement completely. I don't think that the coaliton are trying to win favour with older voters. Instead, I think that this situation is an attempt to further 'dumb down' the British population and further the proliferation of crime and poverty. This, in turn, will allow the Rothschild empowered government to inroduce the Police State (and also increase the alarmingly high number of camaras in almost every nook and crannie of Britain) and to force through bills and powers that would further enslave the British people. As David Icke would say:

Problem, Reaction, Solution

Thankfully, some government representatives have been able to see the long-term effects that trebling university tuition fees will have on UK unemployment. Cllr Andrew McCormick (Labour, Popley East, Basingstoke) says the following in the Basingstoke Gazette:

The Coalition Government’s trebling of university tuition fees is reprehensible and risks the very future of this country.

As well as hiking tuition fees, the Government is proposing catastrophic cuts to the teaching grants for band C and D subjects, with The University of Winchester facing cuts of 100 per cent.

Many universities are at risk of closure, still more have courses put at risk, and this at a time when we need more people going to university.

Britain currently spends just 0.7 per cent of its Gross Domestic Product on higher education – one of the lowest figures in the developed world.

Our degrees are now the most expensive in the developed world, and already we are seeing overseas universities (eg Maastricht) pitching to our UK students with fees of less than £2,000 per year.

The councillor goes on further to talk about 16-18 education and unemployment:

And as if that wasn’t enough, the Coalition is scrapping the Educational Maintenance Allowance which is claimed by 40 per cent of BCOT students. This money helps people from disadvantaged backgrounds stay in fulltime education. Many of these will be put off 16-18 education, let alone education to degree level. This Coalition is attacking young people, removing their education and employment prospects for purely ideological reasons.

Also, another bizarre (but relevant) twist, the Iranian foreign minister has rightly criticised the tactics used by British Police in controlling the student protesters who recently descended on London:

On Saturday, the then Iranian foreign minister, Manouchehr Mottaki, also criticised British police for their "harsh tactics" against students protesting at the UK government's plans to increase university fees. Mottaki was sacked today by Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, but the decision is not thought to be related.

All of this is reminiscent of Orwell's 1984, in which it states:

The thought police would get him just the same. He had committed--would have committed, even if he had never set pen to paper--the essential crime that contained all others in itself. Thoughtcrime, they called it. Thoughtcrime was not a thing that could be concealed forever. You might dodge successfully for a while, even for years, but sooner or later they were bound to get you

References

www.bbc.co.uk...
www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk...
htclassiclit.about.com...
www.basingstokegazette.co.uk...
www.guardian.co.uk...
edit on 18-12-2010 by chemistry because: To remove some quotation marks and to put a space after "wasted lives" in the first quote

edit on 18-12-2010 by chemistry because: To correct some spelling mistakes

edit on 18-12-2010 by chemistry because: To correct yet another spelling mistake! (sorry)

edit on 18-12-2010 by chemistry because: Spelling mistakes

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 01:37 AM
link   
I cant understand why we are all so sure of ourselves.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 01:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by OccultScience

What do you mean?
edit on 18-12-2010 by chemistry because: Spelling mistake

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Brown is a joke.

The guy spent the country into a recession as both Chancellor and then Prime Minister.

Now he's trying to go back to the old labour schtick of blaming Thatcher for everyones woes. - Fact is that Thatcher has been out of power for 20 years, and the last 16 of those years was dominated by Blair and Brown.

Its a sad tactic from a man who really should stay out of the limelight - the current mess lays squarely at his, and "New Labour"'s feet.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by chemistry

Originally posted by OccultScience

What do you mean?

This user has posted this exact same comment on at least 4 different threads I have seen personally so I wouldn't worry about it

As to the OP

I fear that Mr Brown may well be right, we are heading towards some unprecedented levels of unemployment because there simply isn't any industry or manufacturing in the country to employ people any more.
It's scarcely worth getting a higher education to be honest if the only jobs left are StarBucks Mobile phone shops and call centres
edit on 18-12-2010 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

Exactly. Nail on the head.

The reason germany is still strong is they continued to invest in manufacturing and engineering.

Go to germany and say you're an engineer you get respect. Say it in this country and people think you fix toilets.

The idea that a country can be successful with only a financial sector is the idiocy that has doomed us. Its the same idiocy thats doomed america.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by neformore

i think the op has a point about the percentage possibility. however i agree with your statement on brown and blair. gordo's statement regarding no more boom and bust certainly caught many by the short and curlies!
the third way philosophy was one of backloading present debts (ppi,ppp etc) for future generations to suffer for.
it was bound to failure from the start. a good percentage of the projects were not fit for purpose and some (toll road/bridge) have been extended beyond their mandate because they are seen as easy cash cows.you will not hear politicians complaining about these whilst they have control over bugets and the purse strings!
regards f

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 12:51 PM
link   
The message from Brown are nothing more then again ALARM BELLS.
Pastor Lindsey- Alarm Bells
John(wiki-insider)-Alarm Bells
Nigel Farage -Alarm Bells

And a merry Christmas to you. (Mass-DENIAL), and this will all be over in a few days.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 01:53 PM
link   

We are still paying the price for the lost generation of wasted lives of the 1980s. Now we have a new social time bomb in the making.

Yet this man was at the centre of power and policy for over a decade and made no effort to repair what he saw as the damage to a generation. Not sure who is this lost generation? The decade you were born or you started school, working?

The former Labour leader, who has written a book about the global economic crisis, predicted that youth unemployment would rise to more than 20% - with one in three out of work in the worst-hit areas

Again, what did Brown do to ensure that this would not happen? Nothing and he does not need to worry about heating his home or feeding his family like those he failed for over 10 years. He is minted and this book is just more making money for Brown. Can we expect all the revenue from this book and all his post Government work to be given to the lost generation?

Personally, although I think the guy is a complete idiot, I think he could be right! (I totally disagree with his "wasted lives" comment, however)

We agree on the idiot. And if we look at Brown's record with the failure of the banks, I would be surprised if he was right about this. Most companies saw the failure coming yet the money who was running economy policy for over a decade failed to see it. This is just more headlines to make all the sad Labour supporters buy his book and make him more money. If I need to wipe my ass, then this is the book to use!

If we look at the recent tuition fees saga, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out that that trebling university fees will result in fewer people receiving higher education, and therefore more people will be out of work.

The Belfast Telegraph goes so far as to say the following:

Trebling university fees is a cynical attempt by the coalition to punish the young and poor in favour of older, fat-cat voters. They must not succeed

Let me start by expressing an interest in this. I must be one of the older fat-cat voters and I am happy for those who want a university education to pay rather than expect me as a tax payer to fund it. I must say a great link from a failed PM who caused the meltdown to a Government having to deal with the mess left by this muppet.

Have you considered that us older fat cats have more voters than those in education, and that Government should be listening to us more than a few who want the gravy train of university education.

Should the real question be why are universities so poor at rising money that they need to charge more. Maybe it is time for industry to be given a go at running universities.

I dont actually agree with this statement completely. I don't think that the coaliton are trying to win favour with older voters. Instead, I think that this situation is an attempt to further 'dumb down' the British population and further the proliferation of crime and poverty. This, in turn, will allow the Rothschild empowered government to inroduce the Police State (and also increase the alarmingly high number of camaras in almost every nook and crannie of Britain) and to force through bills and powers that would further enslave the British people.

As David Icke would say: "Problem, Reaction, Solution"

And what is so wrong with a Government listening to a greater numbers of voters? Many are too keen to say that Government does not listen to the people, yet you are damming this Government because there are more older fat cat voters. We will have to disagree on the whole NWO/Rothschild Government power base, as this implies some form of intelligence and control at a global level.

Thankfully, some government representatives have been able to see the long-term effects that trebling university tuition fees will have on UK unemployment. Cllr Andrew McCormick (Labour, Popley East, Basingstoke) says the following in the Basingstoke Gazette:

"The Coalition Government’s trebling of university tuition fees is reprehensible and risks the very future of this country."

Either you have selected just the bits that helps make you point or this labour Cllr is as stupid as all our leaders. Just how is this risking the future of this country? Here is a quote from a older fat cat voter you can use. It has as much credence as the one you quoted

"The failure of The Coalition Government to treble university tuition fees is reprehensible and risks the very future of this country."

As well as hiking tuition fees, the Government is proposing catastrophic cuts to the teaching grants for band C and D subjects, with The University of Winchester facing cuts of 100 per cent.

Many universities are at risk of closure, still more have courses put at risk, and this at a time when we need more people going to university.

If these universities are so poorly run that this will cause then to fail, then fail they must. Do we bail out failing companies because they are important? If that was the case, then Rover would still be in business. Poorly run and finanical inept organisations need to be allowed to fail.

Britain currently spends just 0.7 per cent of its Gross Domestic Product on higher education – one of the lowest figures in the developed world.

Our degrees are now the most expensive in the developed world, and already we are seeing overseas universities (eg Maastricht) pitching to our UK students with fees of less than £2,000 per year.

I assume that the US is not in the developed world? How you seen how much ivy league schools in the US charge? How many of them are failing or saying how poor they are?

The councillor goes on further to talk about 16-18 education and unemployment:

"And as if that wasn’t enough, the Coalition is scrapping the Educational Maintenance Allowance which is claimed by 40 per cent of BCOT students. This money helps people from disadvantaged backgrounds stay in fulltime education. Many of these will be put off 16-18 education, let alone education to degree level. This Coalition is attacking young people, removing their education and employment prospects for purely ideological reasons."

Said by a Labour Cllr whos' Government created this mess with their inept and poor handling of the economy.

Also, another bizarre (but relevant) twist, the Iranian foreign minister has rightly criticised the tactics used by British Police in controlling the student protesters who recently descended on London:

"On Saturday, the then Iranian foreign minister, Manouchehr Mottaki, also criticised British police for their "harsh tactics" against students protesting at the UK government's plans to increase university fees. Mottaki was sacked today by Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, but the decision is not thought to be related."

This gave me one of the best laughs of the week. From a Government with such a great example of allowing freedom of expression and using harsh tactics on its own people. I hope we told the Iranian Government to naff off. Your quoting this says more about the point you want to get across. Your post has little to do with what brown said but more with your views of uni fees.
edit on 18-12-2010 by Freedom ERP because: Formatting errors

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   
20% unemployment sounds like a big exacerbation from a man at the heart of New Deceiver politics.
What MSN did not say during the tuition fee riots was the money the government is saving in cuts, is less than the projected rise in foreign aid.

Department for International Development-Corruption raised over 4 billion
www.dailymail.co.uk...

University funding cuts of 2.9 billion…
www.independent.co.uk...

The (mass) media doesn’t mention these things together because they can’t afford enough Sheeple to wake up, and realise we are living in a one party state called “LabConDem” if people knew they might make use of their democratic rights that can desecrate a dictatorship i.e. “waste” your vote by voting for minor parties.
I.e. waste it, in as not add it the piles of hundreds of thousands of surplus votes received by various sub-divisions (i.e. the historical “Parties”) of LabConDem.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 04:48 PM
link   
A shepherd (government) with no control of it's flock is without power!..

I'll await the day unemployment goes over 50% as the changes that need to be applied to this country will then come forth!

Roll on the days when the sheep control the shepherd...

new topics

top topics

join