It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Building blocks of life created in 'Impossible' place

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Building blocks of life created in 'Impossible' place

www.physorg.com

(PhysOrg.com) -- NASA-funded scientists have discovered amino acids, a fundamental building block of life, in a meteorite where none were expected.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   
The basic building blocks of life seem to be found everywhere we look, in harsh and extreme environments where one would have never guessed to stumble upon them.

"This meteorite formed when two asteroids collided," said Dr. Daniel Glavin of NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center, Greenbelt, Md. "The shock of the collision heated it to more than 2,000 degrees Fahrenheit, hot enough that all complex organic molecules like amino acids should have been destroyed, but we found them anyway."

This most definitely increases the chance of finding life elsewhere in the universe.

www.physorg.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 01:42 PM
link   
AHA! Take THAT deniers!!!

I reckon wherever it is possible for life to be, there will be life...I bet we will find, in time, a very crowded universe we live in with lifeforms of every imaginable environment,

Good find NASA....

hmm, they are coming out with a buttload of stuff about life elsewhere as of late to support the argument for life outside our sphere...

I wonder what the true agenda is...just to condition our mind to fully accept the likelyhood of life out there...what will be the next shoe that drops once that is accepted fully...I imagine the case for intelligence within the crowded universe...and then...and then...

yep..about as mysterious as the back of my hand where they are going with all of this.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Truly amazing.
Thank you very much for this post.
I suspect that now that we know life can exist outside our realm of what we thought life needed and even what life is that we will find that life is exploding around us in some very unlikely places.
edit on 17-12-2010 by fasteronfire because: typo

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Seems like they're finding a hell of a lot to do with life possibly existing outside of Earth... I wonder if they're building up to something?

I sincerely hope they are (:
edit on 12/17/2010 by SFlowers because: (no reason given)

edit on 12/17/2010 by SFlowers because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 02:37 PM
link   
I am greatly pleased but not in the least suprised by this finding. It is increasingly likely that some of the space rocks that have fallen to earth and been examined , have carried thier own amino strains, rather than as claimed been contaminated with terran samples.
Of course I would have to prise the samples from the dead fingers of several people on the payroll of the US government to prove that, but its nice that someone finaly pointed this improbable finding out, rather than burying it so deep you would need a proctologist to examine it.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Clairaudience

so I'm curious what it is we do with these proteins after we find them. Do we experiment with them and see how they blend with our own proteins/DNA? Are they proteins that already exist here on Earth?

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by PsychNurse

Very interesting question to which I have no answer to even after some basic research, I am curious as well and hope a member can give an adequate answer. As far as I have read the proteins have the same makeup and thus there are no conceivable differences, but I might be substantially wrong with my statement.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

^100%

"AMG We's got arsenic based lifes?" "AAAAAAMMMMGGGG AMINO ACIDS in da spaace rocks?" NASA's slowly letting the lid off certain ideas and facts about this universe we live in..

Scientists have long held that amino acids more than likely seeded Earth with the basic building blocks of life, just like how the majority of our water got here. At least they have empirical evidence to back that up now.

Then again, I've long held that believing that we are the only sentient life-forms in our universe (let alone our own galaxy) is quite egotistical. .

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 05:58 PM
link   
It gets less astounding every time they find amino acids somewhere. I'm sure there are literally tons of lifeforms we don't even know exist yet, possibly in harsher climates than we find here on earth probably even some that can live in space. My advice? Expect life where you wouldn't normally expect life.
edit on 17-12-2010 by jacktherer because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Could these amino acids be Earth based?

Reminds me of the thread created not too long ago about the 'ice meteorite' containing 'simple alien life'.

Hopefully I'm completely wrong, and the rock wasn't 'contaminated' by Earth.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Isn't this what NASA is always saying they needed to find in order to prove the existence of extraterrestrial life? Seems like they got it...

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 10:02 PM
link   
at the end of the day though, amino acids =\= life

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by frozenspark

True that amino acids do not equal life, but the fact that we are finding that they exist in environments that were believed to be too physically to extreme to support them calls into question alot of other assumptions some have made about where life can/can't exist.

top topics

join