It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Some big Earthquake / Aftershocks happening now in Southern California.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 10:25 PM
link   
The Brawley Fault Zone is kind of a unique area. Potential for a 6.x rupture.

A neat link from a scientific source:

www.data.scec.org...

Excerpt:

The Brawley fault zone is a complex set of faults that is intricately connected to the Imperial fault zone. That connection exists, apparently, due to transfer of right-lateral slip from the Imperial fault zone to the Brawley fault zone. The area is made even more unusual by virtue of its high heat flow -- essentially, the subsurface is hotter (and thus, less brittle) due to the local thinness of the crust. Due to this and the rapid rate of slip, faults in the area are probably prone to aseismic creep. Because of the complexity of the fault system at work, it is also prone to earthquake swarms, like that which coincided with the ground movement in 1975, which broke the surface trace for a distance of 10.4 km with a maximum displacement (vertical) of 20 cm.

Cal Poly Pomona Geophysics has been posting about this swarm tonight, follow for updates if there's any more to tell:

twitter.com...

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Disconnected Sociopath
Just an FYI, but a couple of folks on GLP are predicting a major earthquake to possibly hit the west coast/CA, as soon as tomorrow:

www.godlikeproductions.com...

www.godlikeproductions.com...

Personally I don't give any credence to EQ predictions like this as so many have been made in the past and failed miserably, but as a resident of SoCal myself I'm always on the lookout regardless. Especially on days like this when the area around the San Andreas starts shaking....

Oh Great! I have to drive home Saturday morning from Los Angeles - - through Brawley - - into AZ.

As long as it doesn't happen when I'm on a transition bridge.

<< 1   >>

join