It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hydrogen Generator Statrs with Steam

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Just reading through the latest edition of NASA Tech Briefs.

I saw this article and thought it might appeal to some out there who have an interest in alternate energy sources.

The process involves using first steam and them liquid water to generate hydrogen from magnesium hydride as an endothermic decomposition reaction. Once the total reactions are started, they would be sustained by the heat being generated by the exothermic reaction from the production of magnesium oxide.

The resulting "waste" would then be recycled at very low cost when compared to the original smelting of magnesium.

The first link is to an original pdf file from 2009 which lays out the preliminary work.
The second is to an update, posted Dec. 2010, and illustrates an apparatus for a batch or continuous operation.

It does require a sign up to read this update but it is, after all, free.

1) ntrs.nasa.gov...

2) www.techbriefs.com...

I would like for any who would post their replies to read these files so they will know what is being discussed.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Sounds very efficient in how it reuses a majority of the product from the initial chemical reaction to re-power itself.

My only question is how practical the initial reaction caused from the steam is....Did that say -300 degrees Celcius???

Wow!

Very interesting though, star and flag!

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by noworldorder2012

I must admit I read right past that, but I guess at that temperature any liquid water could be considered steam.

This generation system "may" have been concieved to work best in space where you don't really need a refridgerator.

edit on 16-12-2010 by hdutton because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by hdutton

Actually, you have a good point there....duh for me!

Imagine a pod with a cooling tank on the outside that stores the waste, exposed to the frigid temperatures of space! Then, that temperature might be easily achievable. And with the information from the updated link, I guess that would only be needed for the initial starting chemical reaction as well, so.....PROBLEM SOLVED!!!

edit on 12/17/2010 by noworldorder2012 because: duh!!!

new topics

top topics

join