It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Governments deliberately distorting Nuclear Effects on Humans

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2004 @ 07:19 PM
link   
The former World Health Organisation�s senior radiation adviser in Europe has accused Governments of deliberately distorting scientific data on the effects of radiation on humans to avoid paying out huge sums in damages to victims of early nuclear testing, and for the convenience of continued use of depleted uranium.

Sunday Herald

Dr Keith Baverstock, who was the World Health Organisation�s senior radiation adviser in Europe, says that science has been �perverted for political ends� by government agencies which should be protecting public health.

�Politics, aided and abetted by some in the scientific community, has poisoned the well which sustains democratic decision-making,� he told a conference on low-level radiation in Edinburgh yesterday.

Baverstock, now advising the UK government as a member of the Committee on Radioactive Waste Management, delivered a fierce attack on government scientists. He accused the National Radiological Protection Board (NRPB) of �misusing� science in their studies of nuclear test veterans.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

So now we have the U.K, amongst others (though who he is referring to when he says 'governments' is unclear) accused of distorting science for monetary gain, and the U.S recently accused of the same with the element of religion thrown in. We're used in recent history (and the past) to our politics, and of course, our religions, being distorted by the powers that be for their own use, but now science? This story is just a small part of a bigger picture. Is this a new beast altogether or have I just missed the signs?

We�ve lately seen governments accused of distorting science in the fields of environment, climate change, health, reproductive health, biomedical research, childhood lead poisoning, mercury emissions and nuclear weaponry both at home and abroad amongst who knows what else, all for political gain.

Could this be the start of a modern version of the dark ages for science, except this time the all powerful God is money?

Related News Links:
www.nrpb.org
www.ucsusa.org

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
New Limits Imposed on Scientists
Bush Administration Distorting Science
First Successful Depleted Uranium Poisoning Case
Isotope Analysis Shows Exposure To Depleted Uranium In Gulf War Veterans

[edit on 4-7-2004 by kegs]

[edit on 4-7-2004 by SkepticOverlord]

posted on Jul, 5 2004 @ 08:46 AM
link   
I think I'd like to play the devil's advocate here. I do not like distortion or surgar coating, I think we should be told these things. But - are there some things that just should not be told? If people knew the full truth behind this and other science-related issues would they be able to handle it? I am reminded of the media's abilty to do great harm with too much information.

That said, I think that the distortion of scientific findings has been going on for a very long time. Just look at the way we go about it - first we hypothesize! I think that there are a lot of scientists out there who will bend their facts in order to keep funding, public interest or even respect.

I can definately believe that governments are twisting or withholding information, but I don't see this as a new phenomena. Perhaps now in our "information age" we are more likely to hear about it, more educated to understand it, and free enough to ask questions.

join