It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Ghetto Awareness - Kernels of Truth by musician Lupe Fiasco.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Hi all, big time lurker, small time poster and this is my first thread. Now to begin.

Our subconscious perceived (or rather it knows and our conscious has perceived) inconsistencies and raised our suspicion with the current state of the world around us to many individuals, in particular many of you. This suspicion, this gut feeling, I believe we must take into serious consideration, however allow ourselves to perceive suspicion through many angles, allow yourself to any kernel of truth and keep a healthy balance of acceptance and skepticism with logic as your guidance.

Now that I laid out my thought process, here is a bit about myself, I am 20 and I like many forms of music. Especially hip hop, possibly due to my environment and generation. However, I never fancied those mainstream radio artists, as well as I haven't immersed myself into the Hip-Hop underground. I came across one particular artist, who on many levels is pure genius. He isn't an underground artist, and he by no means dominates the radio airwaves, but I would classify him as mainstream.

He is Chicago and Muslim born, 28 year old, Wasalu Muhammad Jaco, in the music industry otherwise known as Lupe Fiasco.

After being involved in the music world for many years, Jay-Z met him and (I'm trying to find the source) referred to him as "The Future of Hip Hop", Jay had helped him get signed under Atlantic Records, under which he co-founded vanity label First and Fifteenth, with friend Chilly, who was arrested in 2001 for drug charges, and sentenced to 40 years.

Which brings me to the type of person I believe Lupe is. He's actively trying to get Chilly freed. From what I gather from interviews and his music, he is against drug use, trafficking, etc. However, growing up in Chicago and being surrounded by such a lifestyle daily, it speaks volumes about his character. That whether or not he may have been involved in such crimes, which is probably why he has escaped into the music industry, to stay away from the ghetto and enlighten the many black youths, minority youths, and youths period living in the hood. However I truly believe there's more to it, and he knows something.

To Every Man, Woman & Child... 1. We Want An End To The Glamorization Of Negativity In The Media. 2. We Want An End To Status Symbols Dictating Our Worth As Individuals. 3. We Want A Meaningful And Universal Education System. 4. We Want Substance In The Place Of Popularity. 5. We Will Not Compromise Who We Are To Be Accepted By The Crowd. 6. We Want The Invisible Walls That Separate By Wealth, Race & Class To Be Torn Down. 7. We Want To Think Our Own Thoughts. 8. We Will Be Responsible For Our Environment. 9. We Want Clarity & Truth From Our Elected Officials Or They Should Move Aside. 10. We Want Love Not Lies. 11. We Want An End To All Wars. Foreign & Domestic (Violence). 12. We Want An End To The Processed Culture Of Exploitation, Over-Consumption & Waste. 13. We Want Knowledge, Understanding & Peace. 14. WE WILL NOT LOSE BECAUSE WE ARE NOT LOSERS, WE ARE LASERS!!!

This is the L.A.S.E.R.S.(Love Always Shines Every-time Remember 2 Smile!) Manifesto. Lasers is the name of his upcoming third album.

(Notice the clever Anarchy symbol, the A disguised over the O for Losers, changing it to Lasers.)

There are many wonderful artists underground, such as Immortal Technique, who states many conspiracies in their work. Difference with Lupe is, he doesn't right off the bat throw these truths in your face, he makes them subtle..yet blatant. For example, to expose a certain corrupt mindset, he would narrate as if he is that individual, you have to realize his sarcasm.

Disclaimer to Mods and You: I do not claim any rights for any lyrics, or music. I do not claim to know Wasalu or his true beliefs or intentions. I will censor any vulgarity or offensive words, I hope you keep an open mind, and regardless of Wasalu's agenda, he himself has stated he does need the money that he works hard for, I support Lupe Fiasco and if you respectfully do so as well, don't be a pirate.

The majority of his lyrics are extremely amazing, yet for the sake of this thread I will try to focus on what I believe are the more blatant and obvious lyrics that point to many of our own beliefs with the government and the world around us.

American Terrorist

Anthrax lab on a west Virginia farm,
shorty ain't learned to walk already heavily armed,
civilians and little children is especially harmed,
camouflaged Torahs, Bibles and glorious qurans,
the books that take you to heaven and let you meet the Lord there,
have become misinterpreted reasons for warfare,
we read 'em with blind eyes I guarantee you there's more there,
the rich must be blind because they didn't see the poor there,

need to open up a park, just close 10 schools we don't need 'em,
can you please call the fire department,
they're down here marching for freedom,
burn down their TV's, turn their TV's on to teach 'em.

The more money that they make
the more money that they make
the better and better they live
whatever they wanna take
whatever they wanna take
whatever whatever it is
the more that you wanna learn
the more that you try to learn
the better and better it gets
American Terrorist

Now if a Muslim woman strapped with a bomb on a bus
with the seconds running, give you the jitters?
just imagine an American-based Christian organization planning to poison water supplies to bring the second-coming quicker

n***a they ain't living properly
break 'em off a little democracy
turn their whole culture to a mockery
give 'em Coca-Cola for their property
give 'em gum, give 'em guns, get 'em young, give 'em fun
if they ain't giving it up, then they ain't getting none and don't give 'em all, naw man, just give 'em some it's
the paper, some of these cops must be Al-Qaeda.

don't give the black man food, give red man liquor
red man fool, black man n***a
give yellow man tool, make him railroad builder
also give him pan, make him pull gold from river give black man crack, glocks and things, give red man
craps, slot machines...

In here Lupe exposes the American Government that they have qualities to that of a Terrorist. How religion is misguided, the shameful deeds this country has done in the past, how our media is used to pacify and condition us, how they've kept minorities busy. In the chorus I believe he is trying to get us to ask questions and educate ourselves.

((I just edited this instead of making a second post, I will add more work that I want to discuss, and hopefully we all can discuss, as soon as I'm home from work.))
edit on 10-12-2010 by Thekid90 because: Continuing the work I would like us to discuss, at work and will edit again.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Thekid90

Lupe Fiasco, another decent rapper. He speaks on a urban positive tone and his points are valid w/ o having to add all of the aggressive hype to sell his music.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   
I read somewhere that he had to fight to get his record released as the record company didnt want to release it unless he made some changes.probably meaning dumb it down,make it about partying and how rich he is. I watched an interview with him on us tv and he came across as an iteligent guy,measured.

I dont doubt he knows that the music industry is a tightly run group that wants what they pay for and dont like people getting to creative with their music. wether its as simple as keeping it dumbed down and following a formula just cause of greed,appeal to the base crowd with the usual subjects talked about in mainstream hip hop because they know this sells,it a formula that works and they are just interested in making money.

Or is it the more sinister theory that I have to admit Im leaning toward. The industry makes these guys stars,own all the magazines and networks so can saturate your conscience with images and stories of the celebs they create.But the singers themselves have to conform to a certain agenda,sing from a hymsheet given to them.of course they write there own stuff but only certain subjects can be discussed,if you deviate or think you have free will they break you.

Im sure you have seen the illuminati series on pop culture.its quite interesting.theres no doubt the same symbols and agendas are being pushed by a lot of big name stars,transhumanisn by the crap eyed peas, also beyonce.Also the glamourisation of war by rihanna in her concerts,dresssd sexily in military gear,astride a tank.Beyonce when not dressed as a robot (ffrom the film metropolis) has riot police as a backdrop as she entertaines,

when you watch the illumanti series first its like nah thats crazy,then you see the same poses,handsigns and themes used in music videos and magazines,then you go back at watch the vids again and it more like mm they could be on to something here.

some of the vids state that these stars sold their souls to satan for fame.or some are even possesed or mk slaves,I dont buy that.but Its not hard to believe the guys who own the stage calls the shots for the show and if those stars get the limelight on the powers that be's stage theres certain things they dont want us to know,and things they want us to believe.
Im sure most people here know of this site, Vigilant citezen.he talks about lupe here,check it out if your a fan.if you havent read this site before check it out dude knows his stuff and is good with the evidence.
vigilantcitizen.com...

lyrics from one of his songs

Nigga, wake up, don’t join the Army
Kill your own peoples, but fear Illuminatis
And they ain’t even real, or are they?
But you wouldn’t even know, because you partay
Too #ing much, if you start to doubt
They already in your mind, and comin’ out yo’ mouth
It’s not a trick, nigga, it’s a trap
Survival of the fit, is what they aimin’ at
And niggas ain’t fit (nope), fat as hell (yep)
Fat in mind (yep), body fat as well
Who use most the drugs? Americans!
What’s in Afghanistan? Heroin!
You think that’s by mistake? They can stop that?
Don’t think you safe though, because you not black
Greed is colorblind, so I’m colorblind
They gon’ # with yours soon as they done with mine
They say I try too hard, verses overwhelm

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Yes O13, very positive and the only aggression displayed is only mocking such aggression.

Angrybadger you hit the nail on the head a few times. I've never been to that sight or have seen the illuminatti series, although I'm still well versed on the illuminatti culture. Those lyrics from Lupe you posted is actually what inspired me to make this thread and there is a lot more to it, so I'll save it for when I finish up. I'm currently typing on my phone as I'm heading to the market to do a few errands. I'll be back home on my computer in a few hours to finish this thread.

Yeah Atlantic Records kept pushing back and even threatened to withhold his album, for a few reasons Lupe wouldn't discuss, although he does mention they wanted him to make songs and singles he didn't want to. Eventually his fans got about 10,000 people to sign a petition, so Atlantic officially gave a release date to his album, March 2011. THEN because of the petition, Lupe created that song you quoted, called "Building Minds Faster" for his fans and the people.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Thekid90

well you should definately check out vigialnts stuff, There a lot there to digest so maybe start with the pop culture side of things,there is a forum where lupe is discussed.I should mention that some posters have a religious spin on the theories Christian mainly,Im not condeming or condoning just saying.though there is evidence that a lot of these stars are using biblical references in their music videos to protray a certain agenda.

as far as the videos go theres some vey vague ones that just flash random pictures and dont realy explain what they mean.Or ones that go overboard but theres also some quite good ones.If i can find some good ones Il post a link.
peace.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Streets on Fire is poetic.. very well written song.

" ‎..every dream is designed and broadcasted from the masters to the masses from the antennas on the top of the shrines.."

Lupe Fiasco is a good artist.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Ha ha, well this was my first thread and I was unaware that your allowed only 4 hours to edit your posts. I was planning to continue editing my OP and update it, but instead since it's a lot of work, I will be posting my analysis in increments, as well as enganging in this discussion. In this thread I'm open to discussion of any artist of any genre with similar work.

The Trinity

Lupe Fiasco created 3 characters to appear in his music. He embodied the essence of "The Game, The Streets, and The Cool."

Symbols are from left to right: Game, Cool, and Streets.

Real Recognize Real

Like, check him, tears roll down the eyes,
Of the rides inside of a funeral procession
Here lies, with X's in his eyes,
the unguided misdirected
Squad cars roll past and laugh.

The result of someone who was seduced by The Streets and was killed by The Game. Who tried to become and thus became the essence of what is "Cool."

They say The Streets is a demon in a dress
With dollar signs in her eyes and semen on her breath
Slain boyfriend names is tattooed on her t*tties
Sprinkling greed, ignorance, and envy inside of a Philly
Hennessey tears, ass'll bring ya enemy's here
Flirt with her flaws till you run up in her raw

The essence of "The Streets"

They say the game has the belly of a beast,
Blunts for fingers and hollow tips for teeth,
Wire taps for ears, Nike Airs for feet,
Blasphemy for prayers, a system for a heart
Rap music for beats, heroin for a son and he's married to The Streets
Crack pipes for lungs, and he never sleeps
Just spies, with dice in his eyes
Loves life cause he likes when it dies
With a baking soda soul, he cough up pleasure
Clothes made out of dollar bills that he sewed together
He knows, he's clever, jealous his house
All the liquor that's poured out, goes right in his mouth
Rides around on a stray bullet;
With prostitutes, pimps, dope dealers and killers tied to it to pull it
A TV in his head, stripper slides down his legs
And he's known to ride around with feds, and he's OUT THERE

"The Game" whose manipulative and uses his wife "The Streets" as a tool of seduction, to make his army of "Cool". I highlighted parts of The Game that suggests maybe he has a real connection the Federal Government.

Put You On Game

I could not find a youtube video due to copywrights.

Don't you know that I run this place
I'm the reason its become this way
And their love for it is the reason I have become this praised
They love my darkness,

I make them heartless,
And in return, they have become my martyrs,
I've been in the poem of many a poet,
And I reside in the art of many a artist
Some of your smartest have tried to artictulate
My whole part in this
But they're fruitless in their harvestin'.

The Game in my opinion, the essence of greed and corruption in mankind. However I think Lupe wants to go even further then that. Who loves The Game? Us the people, who don't rise against the game, obviously because we enjoy our matrix. I went on to highlight lyrics supporting the essence of The Game into more of an entity, like an elitist, due to the fact that many people had tried to figure those pulling the strings? I admit it could go either way.

I'm the one that they follow,
I am the one that they march with,
Through the back alleys,
And the black markets,
The Oval Offices,
Crackhouses and apartments,
Through the mazes of the queens,
The pages of the sages,
And the Chambers of The Kings.

One of the oldest, most ancient-est of things,
Speak every single language on the planet, y'all mean?
I am the American dream,
The rape of Africa
The undying machine,
The overpriced medicine,
The murderous regime,
The tough guy's front,
And the one behind the scenes.

You can watch on TV,
How they should properly depict you,

The rivers should flow with liqour,
Quench your thirst on my elixirs,
I am the safe haven for the rebel, runaway, and the resistor
Ihe trusted misleader,
The number one defender

Pretty self explanatory I think. The Game's reach knows no bounds.

The Streets On Fire

Believe some say the neon signs by the
loudspeakers repeating that everything is fine,
a subtle silence to demolish the troubled conscience,
of a populace with no knowledge and every freedom denied,
every dream is designed and broad casted,
from the masters to the masses,
from the antennas on the top of the shrines.

This whole song is amazing, but I believe this stands out.

The Coolest

I love the Lord,
But sometimes it's like that I love me more,
I love her, with all my heart,
Every vein, every vessel,
every bullet lodged,
She said - that she would give me greatness,
status, placement above the others,
My face would grace covers,
of the magazines of the hustlers,
Paper, the likes of which that I had never seen,
Her eyes glow green with the logo of our dreams,
She would be my queen,
I could be her king,
Together, she would make me cool,
and we would both rule, forever.

And so began our reign,
The Trinity, her and I came,
"Do I love her?"
I said I don't know
Streets got my heart, Game got my soul.

The Cool on how he was seduced by The Streets. Notice he mentions a Trinity, and claims that The Game has his Soul.

edit on 10-12-2010 by Thekid90 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 01:21 AM
link   

I am a very big fan of Lupe Fiasco, have been from Food & Liquor to The Cool. Like most rappers, he raps about what he knows, fortunately that's more than just women, cars and money. His lyrics range from very intense to very playful, but all in all, great lyricist, great artist.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 10:42 AM
link   
I have been busy left and right and haven't been able to continue my analysis plus the fact that I wanted to make it all in one organized post lol. I feel there's a real message he's trying to convey. I call this the Ghetto Awareness because I feel like he's doing his best to stop the glamorization of the hood, crime, drugs and the "gangsta" lifestyle. As well as hinting that The 'Hood' has been engineered, not a random occurrence due to the poor caste or minorities.

Back to work, hopefully I'll update this thread momentarily. If any are still interested, please let me know.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 11:07 AM
link   
His lyrics and message are incredible. From the first time I heard "The Instrumental" and "The Cool" I was hooked. He often gets overlooked and I think it is directly attributed to the subjects he covers. His music isn't glamorous.. it's the truth and people have a problem accepting that. Brilliant artist, more people show know about him. A true diamond in the rough.

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Hey all, have some spare time, decided to put up some of his work that reflects on his burning desire to spread a message to the youth to those that live or are affected by this "hood" life and the engineered "hoods" themselves.

Coming From Where I'm From

How does it feel knowing innocence was killed here?
Last night at the park beating heart was stilled there
For the love of this chain I make appeals here.
Lets pray for our brains bust-downs Kneel here.

There was once a child in here,
cause all the tribulations and the trails in here,
And all the limitations of his housin, there
Became a teenage trafficker a thousandaire
Captivated by what the drug dealers told,
Infatuated with what the drug dealers drove,
A life validated by what a drug dealer holds,
On the stand cause what another drug dealer told.

From the cradle to the cage
we bring our sons up to get gunned down
our daughters to have more.

I introduce you to what Lupe himself feels about where he came from, the streets of Chicago. This song represents how he appreciates where he comes from but at the same time shows how horrible a life there is, as opposed to how every other rapper glamorizes 'The Hood.'

Handcuffs

Wait! I ain't a hustla I'm straight,
I'm damn near a busta, no laws I break,
Money I never seen guns, I didn't hold,
drugs I never sold, calls I didn't make,
N**ga this is a waste of your time and mine.

A case? This ain't even a fine
You ain't find nothin' homie, not even a dime,
Not even a don(?) that'll drop a dime on me,
I know you was dying, so you put a dime on me,
I know that's a crime, your supposed to fight crime for me,
Protect and to serve,
Prosecute, correct and return to the homies,
And that's gonna send me direct to the curb, so you can put em back on me.

Just a hustla with a badge confiscate the dope money,
Put it with your retirement boat money,
You ain't building no playgrounds in the poor for some cash,
That ain't a pension that's a shoe box stash,
With a glock to protect it we both undercover check it,
Thinking that the good we do, gonna out weigh the sinning that we do to
collect it.

Feel he don't get paid enough,
To kick in doors to raid and cuff,
So he use what n**gas get on the street to supplement the wages cut,
So he gotta keep just enough n**gas out there hustlin to keep his paper up,
Like that...Maybe he should be in them handcuffs...

One of my favorites, like most of his music, all of his lyrics are mostly important, I did the best I could do highlight and quote parts I deemed to help get his message through.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Wow...wow. I forgot about this song. Every line is genius in the song, I'm not even going to highlight the lyrics because it's beautiful from start to end.

1st verse he prepares the theme and introduces the villains to the people who he addresses in the 2nd and 3rd Verses. Those people who he addresses are mainly (Who I believe) those who live in the ghetto, those who walks in his shoes, the youth of America, and the youth of blacks.

Especially with the struggle inside the black community, where there are many who are hostile, racist, and just don't plain agree with each other. He offers good advice for them as well as anyone who needs it.

Glory

new topics

top topics

join