It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canadian (permanent resident) sentenced to death in Iran

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Canadian sentenced to death in Iran

www.thestar.com

It was the verdict Fatima Eftekhari never wanted to hear.

Canadian (PERMANENT RESIDENT) sentenced to death in Iran

Eftekhari, an Ontario physicist and research scientist, has lived in fear since her husband, Saeed Malekpour, was arrested after returning to his native Iran two years ago on a family visit. He was detained, tortured and forced to confess to offences ranging from insulting Islam to cyber crimes and plotting against the clerical regime.

“Saeed’s sentence was issued,” she said Monday. “He has been sentenced to death.”

Malekpour had worked in Canada as a computer technician, helping clients set up websites — which the
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 7-12-2010 by nepafogo because: title was misleading. Hold a permanent resident card in Canada. No citizienship.

edit on 7-12-2010 by nepafogo because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 07:47 AM
link   
I am hoping that the Harper government put's some pressure on Iran to release this man who obviously is inoocent and does not deserve to be executed. Iran is making an example of this man in wake of their absolute sensoring of the internet, twitter, facebook and all communications. Imadinnerjacket and his cronies are completely out of control and I fear Human Rights violations will continue to deteriorate in Iran.

www.thestar.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 07:54 AM
link   
reply to post by nepafogo

In your title you say Canadian, although in the article it states he is Iranian... He may Have lived in Canada but if he was born in Iran, he will always be Iranian nothing can change that... Doesn't matter which passport you hold..
I hold an Irish passport, but was born In England, which makes me English.. No matter what..

Kind of changes the whole point of your thread...

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 07:57 AM
link   
He is not Canadian, has no Canadian Citizenship and neither does his wife. So he is an Iranian who came for a visit didn't secure Canadian citizenship,Decides to go HOME to Iran with a Maple Leaf on his t shirt,and thinks all is well. Real intelligent fellow. He should have closed his facebook account before he left.Mister

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 08:01 AM
link   

To some degree I feel no pitty for these people but I do. As a Canadian I feel for them being stuck in this predicament. However they came here to live, so he shouldn't have been back in Iran in the first place so w.e

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mister1k
He is not Canadian, has no Canadian Citizenship and neither does his wife. So he is an Iranian who came for a visit didn't secure Canadian citizenship,Decides to go HOME to Iran with a Maple Leaf on his t shirt,and thinks all is well. Real intelligent fellow. He should have closed his facebook account before he left.Mister

My point exactly... If you flee from a regime such as Iran, you would be very silly to return...

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Misterlondon

In your title you say Canadian, although in the article it states he is Iranian... He may Have lived in Canada but if he was born in Iran, he will always be Iranian nothing can change that... Doesn't matter which passport you hold..
I hold an Irish passport, but was born In England, which makes me English.. No matter what..

1. It is not "my title". ATS rules are to use the title of the article..are they not?
2. I suppose that nobody is truly Canadian other than the natives, as we all immigrated here at some point.
3. Do you feel execution is warranted for his..."crime".
4. If you traveled to England and were sentenced to death for some ridiculous charge would you not expect Ireland to try and intervene? Would your family?

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mister1k

My point exactly... If you flee from a regime such as Iran, you would be very silly to return...

Silly as it may seem I think he was going there to visit his ailing father.. I would probably do the same. He was not aware of any laws he broke inIran and to be honest it sounds like a made up charge to me and c'mon a death sentence??

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Seeing as he is does not hold a canadian passport I suppose that we have no jurisidiction to try and intervene. It does not make this any less sad and atrocious. Iran is truly a messed up place.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by nepafogo

1. It is not "my title". ATS rules are to use the title of the article..are they not?
2. I suppose that nobody is truly Canadian other than the natives, as we all immigrated here at some point.
3. Do you feel execution is warranted for his..."crime".
4. If you traveled to England and were sentenced to death for some ridiculous charge would you not expect Ireland to try and intervene? Would your family?

All I'm saying is the title is a little misleading...
You may be a Canadian resident but if your not born there, you are not actually Canadian, he is still Iranian, that will never change..
If you were born In Canada, you are Canadian, it doesn't matter where your ancestors came from..
No I do not think he should be executed, I dont believe in capital punishment no matter what the crime is.. 2 wrongs don't make a right...
And no I wouldn't expect Ireland to intervene, if I fled a regime and went back and got caught, then I would have only myself to blame for returning.. Especially with a country like Iran, he must have known he would be In Danger there..
edit on 7-12-2010 by Misterlondon because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 08:24 AM
link   
And what savage way of executing his do these animals have in store? Stoning? No, i would imagine a public hanging like the do to homosexuals. But i digress, they no longer have homosexuals anymore, if their delusional, psychopathic president is to be believed.

Their barbarism knows no bounds.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 08:58 AM
link   
I feel sorry for this guy, I really do. Let's hope Iran is in the mood to grab a little good will from the Canadian government by letting the guy go, otherwise I'm afraid he's toast.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 09:09 AM
link   

All I'm saying is the title is a little misleading...
You may be a Canadian resident but if your not born there, you are not actually Canadian, he is still Iranian, that will never change..
If you were born In Canada, you are Canadian, it doesn't matter where your ancestors came from..
No I do not think he should be executed, I dont believe in capital punishment no matter what the crime is.. 2 wrongs don't make a right...
And no I wouldn't expect Ireland to intervene, if I fled a regime and went back and got caught, then I would have only myself to blame for returning.. Especially with a country like Iran, he must have known he would be In Danger there..
edit on 7-12-2010 by Misterlondon because: (no reason given)

"you can take the the girl out of country, but you cant take the country out of the girl" is that what you are trying to say? if so, it has nothing to do with residential status per se, that is visa holder, green card (whatever the equivalent) holder, citizen etc. if he was a citizen something possibly could be done regardless of his birthplace.
edit on 7-12-2010 by delicatessen because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 09:26 AM
link   
I asked, he's not Canadian, does not hold a Canadian passport and not a Canadian citizenship. He is Iranian, period. Ah well.....See ya...wouldn't want to be ya !!!

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by OldCorp
I feel sorry for this guy, I really do. Let's hope Iran is in the mood to grab a little good will from the Canadian government by letting the guy go, otherwise I'm afraid he's toast.

Like my government gives a sh*t? Our neocon government didn't care much for the last Canadian, a woman, who was raped, tortured and murdered in an Iranian prison, so why would my government care about this guy?

And gee, this guy was a computer technician, a physicist AND CHARGED FOR CYBER CRIMES? Put the pieces together and maybe he played a part in the Stuxnet attack on Iranian nuclear facilities, which is probably what the Iranians figured out but the West will never report.

new topics

top topics

join