It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Supreme Court Agrees To Hear Wal-Mart Bias Case Appeal

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Supreme Court Agrees To Hear Wal-Mart Bias Case Appeal

www.nytimes.com

WASHINGTON — The Supreme Court on Monday agreed to hear an appeal in the biggest employment discrimination case in the nation’s history, one claiming that Wal-Mart discriminated against hundreds of thousands of women in pay and promotion. The lawsuit seeks back pay that could amount to billions of dollars.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 11:21 AM
link   
There is no question in reasonable minds that women have been discriminated against massively in the workplace, and that these abuses go on today. Class action suits are supposed to remedy widespread abuses of large groups like this one.

Given the conservative bias of the present Supreme Court, I am guessing that it may rule that this is not a class action suit and thus every individual woman will have to bring her own separate case, making it more difficult for each individual to seek a remedy.

The present Supreme Court tends always to favor the interests of big business and big money, as in the case where it decided that corporations have the same rights as individuals and can therefore pour unlimited amounts of money into political campaigns.

I am not happy about it, but they will probably rule in favor of Wal-Mart. I hope I will be pleasantly surprised and am wrong.

www.nytimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Greetings,

All of you who really believe the supreme court is going to up hold the decision for the peons, please raise your hands.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by GeorgeH

You're right. I don't hold up much hope either, but being the eternal optimist I would really like this suit to go forward. We shall see.

new topics

top topics

join