It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Marmite 'could heal heart damage

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 06:35 AM
link   
Just reading through the news and came upon this article and thought I would share. uk.news.yahoo.com...

Not sure whether you have Marmite in other countries or if it is just a UK thing, will do some research.

I personally don't like the stuff, but you know their saying.

While reading the article I remember a theft that occurred of Marmite uk.news.yahoo.com...

60 grands worth to be exact. Could the thief be going into the medical business

Feel free to post any comments
Regards

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 06:39 AM
link   
reply to post by maythetruthbeknown

You mean my grandmother was actually right?
she allways said marmite and asprin were keeping her alive

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 06:42 AM
link   

Seems is quite readily available "Marmite is available in most food stores in the UK, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, Sri Lanka, and South Africa, and generally most parts of the Commonwealth of Nations like Singapore, Malaysia, and Canada.
UK based marmite can also be purchased in the United States in most CUB food stores. Marmite purchased in New Zealand, Australia and the Pacific Islands is New Zealand Marmite, which has its own distinctive taste"

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 06:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by maythetruthbeknown

Seems is quite readily available "Marmite is available in most food stores in the UK, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, Sri Lanka, and South Africa, and generally most parts of the Commonwealth of Nations like Singapore, Malaysia, and Canada.
UK based marmite can also be purchased in the United States in most CUB food stores. Marmite purchased in New Zealand, Australia and the Pacific Islands is New Zealand Marmite, which has its own distinctive taste"

VEGEMITE.... Breakfast Of Champions

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 06:55 AM
link   
The article is describing the benefits of a derivative of vitamin B1, which is indeed found in marmite and other yeast extracts.

They neglect to mention that marmite is 3.9% sodium, which is not quite as good for the heart.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 07:38 AM
link   
reply to post by whatisanameanyway

Thanks for your comment
True they fail to mention that, 3.9 grams per 100 is quite a lot but not as much as some products people have that have no other nutritional value. This contains vitamin b1, b2, b3,b9 (folic acid) and b12
So I suppose worse case is bit too much salt best case vitamins that you would not normally have.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 07:45 AM
link   
I love marmite! Must eat more.

It is supposed to be a really good mosquito repellent too. I haven't tested it myself but many people have told me it works. You eat it, not spread it on you (though...there's an idea). Makes you taste unpleasant presumably..:

Very good for you all round either way.

Does it apply to Twiglets I wonder? They taste like Marmite. The hydrogenated oil and such like probably out weighs and benefits, so I best scratch that plan.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Canada here. I do believe I've heard of it once before but can't remember other than it was something disgusting, right? What is it? Other than it involves yeast I haven't got a clue. As far as I'm concerned it is NOT common here.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by wayno

It is a black tar like goo that some people like to spread on their toast. I for one cant stand the stuff. They have a long running slogan saying you either love it or you hate it and how true it is.
Quote from wiki
While the actual process is secret, the general method for making yeast extract on a commercial scale is to add salt to a suspension of yeast, making the solution hypertonic, which leads to the cells shrivelling up; this triggers "autolysis", in which the yeast self-destructs. The dying yeast cells are then heated to complete their breakdown, and since yeast cells have thick hull walls which would detract from the smoothness of the end product, the husks are sieved out. As with other yeast extracts, Marmite contains free glutamic acids, which are analogous to monosodium glutamate (MSG).
Today, the main ingredients of Marmite manufactured in the UK are glutamic acid-rich yeast extract, with lesser quantities of sodium chloride (table salt), vegetable extract, niacin, thiamine, spice extracts, riboflavin, folic acid, and celery extracts, although the precise composition is a trade secret.[11] By 1912, the discovery of vitamins was a boost for Marmite, as the spread is a rich source of the vitamin B complex; vitamin B12 is not naturally found in yeast extract, but is added to Marmite during manufacture. With the vitamin B1 deficiency beri-beri being common during the First World War, the spread became more popular

If you see it you should get a pot, you never know you may be one of the ones that likes it

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 09:57 AM
link   
I've given Marmite to people from America, Greece and Austria when they have been staying with me and without fail they have always told me that it's the most disgusting thing they have ever eaten

I love it!

Another even more shocking use was once suggested by all around genius Edward de Bono he said it could be used to stop the problems in the middle east

The logic, briefly, is this. A lack of zinc makes men irritable and belligerent. You get zinc in yeast, which is fine for your average lover of Mother's Pride. But in the Middle East, the bread is unleavened. Ergo, the great man says, Marmite is the answer to easing the way to peace.

link

To our Australian friends, it's not quite the same as Vegimite although I'm not sure of the exact difference it certainly tastes a bit different anyway

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Yuck!
It sounds absolutely disgusting.

I don't doubt the health benefits of it though. I strongly believe that the human animal survived over the millenia precisely because of all the naturally fermented foods we ate -- to the extent that we are now dependent on them for good health. Our modern processed foods don't provide that stuff anymore.

My choice is Kefir, which involves a bunch of different yeasts and bacterii that act on milk or cream. This stuff doesn't taste too bad; especially with some kind of fruit or juice mixed in.

I just don't think that eating a black goo is something I would rush out to do.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 09:39 PM
link   

For some reason a teaspoon of it in hot water gets rid of a certain type of headaches and tiredness for me. I always assumed I was deficient in something; perhaps it's related.

s&f

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 11:53 PM
link   
The best Heart disease remedies are Pauling therapy, Arginine, Taurine + Coq10, Citric acid, Methyl Sulfur Methane, Green superfoods, low fat raw diet and herbs like ginger, cayenne and tumeric.

I don't have time to go into it but all of the about are powerfully synergistic and most have been proven for decades.

BTW I love Marmite.
edit on 012f20102pmTue, 07 Dec 2010 23:54:19 -060019 by HiAliens because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join