It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Find 200 Sextillion More Stars in the Sky

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Amaterasu

It seems the probability of life on other planets has gone up from 99.9999% to 99.999999%. I see your point, but in mind it was already pretty much a definite before all these additional sextillion's.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by WHOS READY

Didn't someone say something like there are as many stars in the universe as there are grains of sand in all the beaches on the Earth? (both estimates I saw were around 10^23)

I guess this means now we need more sand?

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

Brings to mind the simplicity of Carl Sagan's "billions and billions" description....

Billions and billions of stars in our galaxy
Billions and billions of galaxies in the known Universe

I often wonder if the clusters of galaxies that emerged from our Big Bang, isn't just one such result in billions and billions of "Universes" (and not in the dimensional sense, but just in the idea of the area of an individual "Big Bang"), which is then amongst billions and billions of an even larger grouping, etc. (ad infinitum)....

Would seem to fit the model, wouldn't it?

Kind of like our Universe being in that marble at the end of Men in Black, hehe....

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by WHOS READY

A study suggests the universe could have triple the number of stars scientists previously calculated. For those of you counting at home, the new estimate is 300,000,000,000,000,000,000,000. That's 300 sextillion.

Wow ... those are Wilt Chamberlain numbers right there!

Drake equation reload.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by IntastellaBurst

SEX-tillion ??????

I think this will be the last time they let Randy the office virgin come up with the numbers.

It comes from the Latin for "six". Notice the sequence, billion, trillion, quadrillion, quintillion, sextillion, etc.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
I often wonder if the clusters of galaxies that emerged from our Big Bang, isn't just one such result in billions and billions of "Universes"
It's possible, but just trying to comprehend the vastness of our one universe already blows the fuse in my brain so there's not much left to try to comprehend the billions of other universes!

You gotta love the way Sagan pronounced "Billions and Billions", that was a classic!

top topics

<< 1   >>

join