It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jon Stewart On US/Saudi Relationship

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Great show last night and here Jon addresses the US/Saudi relationship bit from the wikistuff.

VID

The word "clarity" comes to mind so often when Stewart breaks something down.
Another masterful piece, imo.

peace,
spec

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 11:32 PM
link   
This is why most Americans have no idea what is actually going on in the world.

They rely on a comedian doing a satirical "news" program (aired on Comedy Central) for reliable information.

I'm not saying this necessarily applies to the OP or anyone else. Just my thoughts.

I put about as much faith in Jon Stewart as I do the fine people at The Onion when it comes to accurate reporting.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 11:58 PM
link   
reply to post by WhiteOneActual

John Stewart's show is a great way to supplement one's news coverage. He seems to have a good wit and makes relevant points about current events.

That being said, I would like to emphasize that John Stewart is a supplement. One should not rely on the Daily show alone for news. One should read a newspaper then watch a show like John Stewart for some insight.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 12:03 AM
link   
That's heeelarious, because if you need a supplement you are not normally getting what you need. If you watch Stewart or the other guy for real news you are too far gone to save.

That goes for any of the other guys

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 12:14 AM
link   
reply to post by ZombieWoof

Not necessarily. Just because I like gravy on my meat it does not mean my meat is not good.

Newspapers and other "serious" news outlets are great for getting the basics. Newspaper articles are supposed to give you the facts. Editorials can give you meaningful insight and analysis.

These basics are not necessarily enough. That is where the John Stewart's of the world come in. They add an extra layer onto the news. By watching people like John Stewart, you are getting more than the facts and dry analysis. John Stewarts add a human dimension to the news by injecting humor and satire to it all.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Okay, I'll admit I have been throwing a little too much heroic praise Jon's way for a while, and I do get my info from other sources, but usually outside of the US(BBC) because all of our sources are so corporatized it is hard to get a clear picture. So "supplement?" Yes, because there is not much to choose from for unabashed perspectives of current events. As far as humor, well truth can sometimes reside in comedy and Stewart is a shining example of that.
I also value Stewart's perspectives because he, IMO is very intelligent, more so than most other pundits. The only other person that I think keeps it real, has experience and is sharp is Brian Williams and Chris Matthews.

Thanks for the replies,
spec

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by WhiteOneActual
This is why most Americans have no idea what is actually going on in the world.

They rely on a comedian doing a satirical "news" program (aired on Comedy Central) for reliable information.

Have you watched Fox News lately?...Jon Stewart might be a funny man, but he is laughing at the absurdity of the truth.

It's OK to want to be able to laugh at the state of things...often our politics are a laugh or cry situation.

What he said specifically..

The cables released by wikileaks revealed..That our chief ally in the region Saudi Arabia "remains via wealthy donors" the chief financiers of Al-Qaeda

Jon Stewart observed..

If we give them money for oil..that allows them to buy weapons from us ...with a little left over to fund terrorist groups.

Then we must send our military over to fight the terrorists...which costs a lot of money for fuel which we must buy from them.

It’s like we are the commission-less middle men in a war we are waging on ourselves.

I think that qualifies as one of those truths that you have to either laugh about or cry about, but a truth all the same.

Just my Opinion though....

top topics

join