It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oklahoma judge blocks anti-Islam amendment

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Oklahoma judge blocks anti-Islam amendment

www.reuters.com

(Reuters) - A federal judge in Oklahoma on Monday issued a preliminary injunction to block a new state constitutional amendment that prohibits state courts from recognizing Islamic law.

U.S. District Judge Vicki Miles-LaGrange said the constitutional amendment, dubbed ""Save Our State Amendment," and approved by 70 percent of voters on Nov 2, could discriminate against Muslims. She said there was "no evidence" to show that the amendment "is justified by any compelling interest..."

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Judge blocks Okla. amendment banning court use of Islamic law

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Well, the judge let the temporary restraining order stand.

Islamic Law is now allowed in OK courts.

I am in shock right now.

I realize that this is a controversial issue for many, however, this is against the Constitution of the United States.

The way this was presented as a matter of "religious" freedom is outrageous.

If a person went to court and refused to sign divorce papers because it was against their religious beliefs, they would be laughed out of court and divorced before they left the room.

The Jews and the Catholics may have their own "tribunals", however, they are not legally binding in a court of law...
they are religious courts for the faithful, used for deciding issues presented by the faithful, and made clear to all as matters of the faithful as NOT binding in a court of law.

This opens a doorway that is extremely dark.

This is not about bashing any religion.
This is about an ideology that is completely
not compatible with the Constitution of the United States
and its legal system.
Using our own freedoms and rights against ourselves to
sneak an oppressive system in the back door.

And the band plays on...
watching the Wikileaks.

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by thegoodearth

Well, the judge let the temporary restraining order stand.

Islamic Law is now allowed in OK courts.

I am in shock right now.

Islamic law is not recognized in OK courts. Never has been, never will be.
edit on 30-11-2010 by RestingInPieces because: no reason

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Sharia law is coming to America whether we like it or not. It depresses me. A long time ago the Roman Catholic Church had the power of life and death over the populace. I don't want to go back to that myself. I watched that video of that woman being stoned in Afghanistan. When the first stones started hitting her, I involuntarily cried out to God. I couldn't watch any more, I had to click it off. I wonder when they're going to say that not allowing some one to be stoned to death is discriminatory.

link   
My mouse is messed up. I double posted.
edit on 30-11-2010 by alonzo730 because: My mouse is messed up, I double posted

link   
Sharia law is coming to America whether we like it or not. It depresses me. A long time ago the Roman Catholic Church had the power of life and death over the populace. I don't want to go back to that myself. I watched that video of that woman being stoned in Afghanistan. When the first stones started hitting her, I involuntarily cried out to God. I couldn't watch any more, I had to click it off. I wonder when they're going to say that not allowing some one to be stoned to death is discriminatory.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   
My first thought to this is it is unnecessary as we have separation of church and state. However, I do fear religious courts coming as they are currently being done in some parts of the world. I do hope the laws reflecting the separation of church and state are strengthened so that will not have a chance of happening.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   
People voted for this thing? How stupid does one have to be to think Islamic Law is some how going to replace our normal courts. We already have laws that seperate church and state. This law was created for no other reason then to strir up fears among the ignorant of whom it seems many live in OK.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 04:55 PM
link   
No, people voted 70% against this...
however, the Clinton-appointee judge that is known for activism (I personally believe that
the executive director of CAIR cherry picked this venue for filing this lawsuit)
set aside the wishes of the OK people in her decision in issuing this injunction.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 05:11 PM
link   
www.nytimes.com...

From the NY Times:

The amendment would forbid state judges from considering Islamic or international law in their decisions. Known as State Question 755, the measure passed with 70 percent of the vote during the Republican landslide on Nov. 2, and has generated bitter debate.

Muslims claim the state is discriminating against their religion, while supporters — many of them Christian conservatives — say the amendment is needed to thwart what they maintain is an effort by radical Muslims to impose Shariah law in the United States.

Muneer Awad, the executive director of the Oklahoma chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations, had sued to block the amendment, arguing that the state was condemning his religious beliefs. “We are definitely satisfied,” Mr. Awad said. “She is recognizing the majority vote cannot be used to take away my constitutional rights."

new topics

top topics

join