It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Computer virus !!! Do NOT open emails with pictures of "Osama" or attachements called "invitation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 12:15 PM
link   
I received an email today, but I don't know if this concerns a new virus or an old one.
Yet I think it would be useful to mention here:

The original message is:

Subject:Fw: URGENT!!!!!!URGENT!!!!!!!!!! URGENT!!!!!!!!!!!.

Received this just now

TWO SUBJECT LINES of which to be AWARE

Just verified this with Snopes and it is REAL. ALSO WENT TO TRUTH OR FICTION, IT'S on their site also.

PLEASE INFORM EVERYONE you know!
1.) Emails with pictures of Osama Bin-Laden hanged are being sent and the moment that you open these emails your computer will crash and you will not be able to fix it!

If you get an e-mail along the lines of 'Osama Bin Laden Captured' or 'Osama Hanged', don't open the Attachment!!!!

This e-mail is being distributed through countries around the globe, but mainly in the US and Israel

Be considerate & send this warning to whomever you know.

2.) You should be alert during the next few days:

Do not open any message with an attached file called 'Invitation' regardless of who sent it.

It is a virus that opens an Olympic Torch which 'burns' the whole hard disc C of your computer!!!!

[Mod Edit: Please review the following: www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 2010/11/26 by GradyPhilpott because: see note above

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   
well..thanks for the advice..but everyone who use internet should know this...not to open unknown emails..

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   
thanks for the heads up
and this is my second

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   
This is from 2004 and is a Hoax, well, more like a chain letter gumf now.

Urban Legends

More info

Unfortunately, unlike the Trojan it warns about, the email hoax is getting wide distribution, spreading FUD and wasting time and bandwidth. Please do be considerate; DON'T send this warning to anyone you know. It's as bogus as the alleged pictures of Osama are.

The hoax was based off a Trojan that was easily detectable and certainly didn't do what this claims.

- Phoenix
edit on 26/11/2010 by phoenix_zephyr because: To add

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by phoenix_zephyr
This is from 2004 and is a Hoax, well, more like a chain letter gumf now.

Urban Legends

More info

Unfortunately, unlike the Trojan it warns about, the email hoax is getting wide distribution, spreading FUD and wasting time and bandwidth. Please do be considerate; DON'T send this warning to anyone you know. It's as bogus as the alleged pictures of Osama are.

The hoax was based off a Trojan that was easily detectable and certainly didn't do what this claims.

- Phoenix
edit on 26/11/2010 by phoenix_zephyr because: To add

But still, you gotta love this part:

It is a virus that opens an Olympic Torch which 'burns' the whole hard disc C of your computer!!!!

Good thing i have everything on my 'D' drive
, this chain email just takes advantage of the naivety of some computer users.

Almost pictured some cousins of mine, calling suddenly in despair, "omg omg i did open the attachment, has my C drive been burned? what's a C drive? i only have a dvd drive, does that counts as a C drive? "

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Kaifan

Indeed. I always try and help people to understand what not to click
We all started somewhere with regards to computers and some people are faster learners than others, sadly I don't think my sister will ever learn

* Watches her C drive spontaneously combust and runs around like a headless chicken *

- Phoenix

join