It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

10% of our brain..

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 08:53 AM
link   
So apparently its been proven that we do NOT use only 10% of our brain. We infact use 100% of the brain, but not at any given time...

Source:
www.teachervision.fen.com...

But there are so many parts of the brain that arent active.. ever wonder that when you're in deep meditation, if you're actually using parts of your brain that don't normally get exercised? And if so, what would be the potentials of said occurences?

For example,

A review of the scientific literature on meditation reveals that its practice can provide numerous benefits for the martial artist. For example, meditation can reduce stress and anxiety, enhance motor reflexes, increase motor control, increase exercise tolerance, sharpen perceptions, increase awareness, improve concentration, maintain health, provide a general positive outlook on life, and foster the development of a sense of personal meaning in the world.

www.ejmas.com...

Now I know there are several different ways to meditate. And several different reasons.. But does anyone think its possible to meditate and strengthen unheard of abilities? Have you?

Discuss.

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Well I have my own personal reasons for meditation, but what do you mean by "unheard of abilities."?

But yeah, to 10% deal was always just a myth.

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Anyone ever see the so called fire meditation that some Tibet monks can do? They sit out in the snow for hours covered in wet sheets and they melt the snow around them is pretty strange to see the steam coming off the sheets. I always wondered if this was a trick or if it could be that they can raise there body temp through some form of meditation

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 10:20 AM
link   
I think it is through spiritual meditation that somehow elevated the body temperature extremely high without causing damage to internal organs. How they do it is a mystery

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
Anyone ever see the so called fire meditation that some Tibet monks can do? They sit out in the snow for hours covered in wet sheets and they melt the snow around them is pretty strange to see the steam coming off the sheets. I always wondered if this was a trick or if it could be that they can raise there body temp through some form of meditation

I think that is some type of telekenisis/meditation. Sounds cool though.

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 06:23 PM
link   
i always was told that the 10% thing just meant at any one time, otherwise there wouldn't be use for the other 90%.

I also was told that when meditating that use a bigger percentage of your brain. and furthermore would it be amazing if we could adapt our minds to be able to use more than a certain percentage at one time.

-graham

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 08:42 PM
link   
it wasn't logical to me from the start. How could brain surgery be so dangerous, if you only use 10%?

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 10:56 AM
link   
so the only way for our brains to become more powerful is too grow?

maybe the grey's huge head isn't so silly after all

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 11:12 AM
link   
I interpreted that 10% thing to mean "by the end of the average person's life, they have only occupied 10% of theiry total memory capacity," meaning that the average person is able to learn 1000% (10x) more than they have learned. That is, before their brain explodes or something.

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Anyone know if while dreaming if parts of the human brain are more active then when concious? I would consider dream state and deep meditation to be on in the same.. is this true?

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 07:41 PM
link   
This what you are saying is a paradox of sorts because the researchers and scientist who get these results are surley not using 100% of theyre brain to look into these facinating yet foolish statistics.

If they are unable to access 100% of theyre brain power at any given time there must surely remain an argument for human error when it comes to these calculations.

am i stupid? am i wrong? why not u2u me and let me know

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 07:49 PM
link   
If you actually read the articles attached, you would have read that no where does it state that we can "use 100% of our brains at any given time".

It says that we use 100% of our brain. That 100% of our brains are needed to survive.

Again, reread the articles and then answer your question.

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 09:19 AM
link   
What i was actually saying is if we can not use 100% or our brain then it is not possible for us to come up with a 100% proof study that contains facts and figures like this artical suggests.

A bit deep i know, but the truth none the less. If we are unable to use all our brain in any given moment then we must trully be an inferior race with thoughts that are open to human error. So when studying the brain. We are actually using an inferior piece of machinery to calculate these statistics.

I hope i clarrified my intentions here

posted on Jul, 4 2004 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Ten percent of one's brain capacity does not necessarily mean 10% error-free, 1Ting4Sure.

posted on Jul, 4 2004 @ 08:55 PM
link   
If we did only use 10 percent, why would we have all the other stuff?

posted on Jul, 5 2004 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ashly
If we did only use 10 percent, why would we have all the other stuff?

You mean the other 90%? It could still exist from as an evolutionary "left-over", meaning it was used at some point, but has yet to anatomically "leave" our bodies.

Though, archaeological evidence shows that, over time, the Homo genus' cranial capacity has increased, ruling out my guess. :-/

posted on Jul, 5 2004 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by 1Ting4SureWeAreNotAlone
What i was actually saying is if we can not use 100% or our brain then it is not possible for us to come up with a 100% proof study that contains facts and figures like this artical suggests.

A bit deep i know, but the truth none the less. If we are unable to use all our brain in any given moment then we must trully be an inferior race with thoughts that are open to human error. So when studying the brain. We are actually using an inferior piece of machinery to calculate these statistics.

I hope i clarrified my intentions here

But the brain is designed to handle other thing than logical tinking of course. It handles our body, muscles, reflexes, hormones, chemicals, emotions, memories and so forth and so forth. Of course you can get more intelligent by exercising certain parts of the brain, but you can't use 100 % of the brain to calculate stuff. This is basic stuff really. Stuff it in there.

posted on Jul, 5 2004 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX

They are accually more fasinating that just this...

The monks start by walking up the mountain to this one speacial temple where I belive they all take their place in the temple and begin to meditate, and raise their body temperature to the point where its is like a steam bath/sauna in the temple. At this time when they are done meditating they put on their little sheet like cloack and walk up the mountain a little more to another meditation area. Here they continue to raise their temperature (or keep it at the raised temp) in the -20-(-30) degree weather, steam and moisture coming from their bodys as they sit there still and a meditation position. After an amount of time they then decend back to their temple/home and do what ever.

Very interesting. I saw a t.v. show about these guys one time.

[edit on 7/5/04 by HumptyDumpty]

top topics

join