It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hubble snaps 'Mailbox' Galaxy:( and 1st Brown Dwarf-a must see)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 08:51 AM
link   

IT might be a few years yet before humans travel to the edge of our galaxy, but at least we now know what it looks like. NASA yesterday released an amazing new image from the Hubble space telescope that shows galaxy NGC 4452.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/8a9f97bc543a.jpg[/atsimg]

That's it above - the thin glowing line which is actually billions of stars around a bright nucleus. NGC 4452 is one of around 2000 galaxies in the Virgo Cluster, which lies some 60 million light years away.

It's a rare shot because from Hubble's perspective, NGC 4452 lies directly edge-on to the Earth. The line you're seeing is the edge of the disc-shaped galaxy. The galaxy was first spotted back in 1784 by William Herschel, who described it as a "bright nebula, small and very much elongated".

NASA was also this week celebrating the first shot a brown dwarf star by its Wide-field Infrared Survey Explorer (WISE).

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/79829f5bca2c.jpg[/atsimg]

"The brown dwarfs jump out at you like big, fat, green emeralds," Amy Mainzer, the deputy project scientist of WISE at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in California, said. Ms Mainzer said the brown dwarf appeared green in WISE images because methane in its atmospheres absorbed infrared light that had been coded blue and it was too faint to give off the infrared light color-coded red. The only colour left was green.

Source: www.news.com.au...

What can I tell ya. Hubble does an outstanding job-yet again.

It was worth every penny to fix that lady up when the Shuttle & Crew did so. Which, I must say, if you get a chance, try to see the IMAX film about that adventure. Anyway,

I wish we had a 1000 Hubbles out there-heading in every direction. Seriously. Until we prove their is other intelligent life out there, it falls upon us to lead the way in Space Exploration. Why? Cause we Can!!!!

I could sit around and look at Hubble returns all day..... LOVE IT. You Go Girl>>> (so to speak). Sure looks more like a Star Wars Light Saber? IMO.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Nice pictures !

If you like those pics go watch the Hubble IMAX movie simply amazing

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by mpresse

Yes, I did see the movie. Even did a post on it. If your interested---- here it is:

I just saw the Hubble Telescope IMAX 3D Movie: worth every penny (2 ways)www.abovetopsecret.com...

That's what I want, more of them up there doing their thing.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 01:47 PM
link   
The more I look at the pic, I think it would be better called

The Light Saber Galaxy. Look at it.

Star Wars.

new topics

top topics

join