It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

People Who Resist Authority, Stand Up for Privacy, Could Be Classified As Mentally Ill

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 05:31 PM
link   
www.networkworld.com...

According to the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM), which is published by the American Psychiatric Association, nonconformity and freethinking is a mental illness labeled "oppositional defiant disorder" or ODD. If psychiatrists follow the Fourth Edition of DSM diagnosis guidelines, people who stand up for privacy and freedom might be labeled as mentally ill.

Here is the DSM in it's entirety:

www.scribd.com...

What the !@#$? I know this article will definitely turn some heads. I guess most of the free world is mentally ill then. Who isn't classified as mentally ill in that article?

You are mentally ill if you are one of these:

* Freethinkers
* Constitutionalists
* Oath Keepers
* Nonconformists
* Peaceful Activists
* Peaceful Resistors
* Those who partake in Civil Disobedience
* Those that question Authority
* Highly creative artists

You are a normal human being if you don't think I guess. Guess I am a loony.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 05:39 PM
link   
The world more and more everyday begins to resemble Ayn Rands book Atlas Shrugged....

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by fordrew

whats with the could be? They are. Greed and fear is the only tools the weak have don't let them.

Stand up when you need to fight when its right people will stand by you.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by fordrew

You are mentally ill if you are one of these:

* Freethinkers
* Constitutionalists
* Oath Keepers
* Nonconformists
* Peaceful Activists
* Peaceful Resistors
* Those who partake in Civil Disobedience
* Those that question Authority
* Highly creative artists

You are a normal human being if you don't think I guess. Guess I am a loony.

By that yardstick, I have ODD on top of ODD. My response to those generating such ludicrous "maladies"? Head for the YKK. At least I think the zipper on my current jeans is made by YKK...
edit on 16-11-2010 by bozzchem because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Did you even read anything about ODD?

Wikipedia Article on ODD

Oppositional defiant disorder (ODD) is described by the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM) as an ongoing pattern of disobedient, hostile and defiant behavior toward authority figures which goes beyond the bounds of normal childhood behavior. People who have it may appear very stubborn. Temper tantrums, stealing, bullying, and vandalism are some of key symptoms of oppositional defiant disorder. ODD children may present as negative, defiant, unable to take "no" for an answer, deliberately annoying others, easily annoyed themselves, or blaming others for all that goes wrong. The child's behavior often disrupts the child's normal daily activities, including activities within the family and at school l

As in, there's a difference between getting mad at some part of government you dislike and getting mad at your mother because she won't let you drive a car at 11 years old and then freaking out. You're taking things WAY out of context and honestly if you just randomly believe these stupid sites, you probably need a healthy dose of skepticism in your thinking.

As noted in the wikipedia article, 52% of those children that have ODD go untreated continue to have the symptoms of it and 25% of those 52% will have it develop into conduct disorder, which is basically a more severe case of ODD, and probably continue down a slippery slope.

Stop taking things out of context and using it to further your agenda.

But really, it is kind of funny that raging conspiracy theorists have some of the symptoms.
I wonder why that is...

And again, since I probably should have just worded my post differently, I'll repeat it because you'll probably disagree, but anyways, there IS difference between having a mental disorder and just being angry at authority. Any legitimate professional SHOULD and probably WILL account for any outside reasons of why you are exhibiting certain emotions and such, not just go "Well kid, you do indeed seem angry, we're going to have to admitted to our nearest mental health facility as soon as possible, thanks for playing."

And again, put it into context and use some critical thinking here.
edit on 16-11-2010 by Whyhi because: emilio estevez

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Whyhi

And again, since I probably should have just worded my post differently, I'll repeat it because you'll probably disagree, but anyways, there IS difference between having a mental disorder and just being angry at authority. Any legitimate professional SHOULD and probably WILL account for any outside reasons of why you are exhibiting certain emotions and such, not just go "Well kid, you do indeed seem angry, we're going to have to admitted to our nearest mental health facility as soon as possible, thanks for playing."

And again, put it into context and use some critical thinking here.
edit on 16-11-2010 by Whyhi because: emilio estevez

But why should the therapist get to decide whether my emotions are appropriate? I don't want my breasts grabbed before I can fly There's plenty of people who think it's just fine for TSA to do this and plenty of people who are outraged. Why should a person who took a few classes get to be the moral authority?

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by fordrew

Well, this is the thing. Psychologists and Psychiatrists get paid to "fix" people who are mentally ill. Now follow me here.........if you want to insure you have a lot of work, you might want to make your categories for who is mentally ill as broad as you possibly can. Then, everyone is a potential meal ticket............err, client.

I dont have much love for these fields. I really dont see them curing a lot of the people who really do suffer from mental illness, and I see them take a lot of people who are expressing the normal human (hell even animal) emotions at their circumstances and pretending it is dysfunction.

Just my two cents. Sorry to those of you who are shrinks or who love your shrinks. I know many are well intended.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 06:23 PM
link   
In Stalinist CCCp that's how they treated dissidents.
Asylum, Gulag or....

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Could this be the way that TPTB will get rid of people like me who believe in the Constitution and freedom? They would be locking up three quarters of the population of the United States. Welcome to the USSA!!

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 06:27 PM
link   
I think mental illnesses are cyclical and reflect whatever current opinions society had. Victorians thought that woman who enjoyed sex or seemed to anyway were mentaly ill and put them in asylums. We don't do that anymore though. Mental illnesses go in and out of fashion, although that isn't to say many of them are correctly described and diagnosed! I'm not suggesting that schizophrenia or depression are fashions!

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Daughter2

But why should the therapist get to decide whether my emotions are appropriate?

Because there is a line between a legitimate emotional responses like being angry over being "groped" and being angry at having to wait in line at an airport and punching the guy in front of you while being irrationally angry / negative / aggressive etc. for no reason and over the span of several years. This I what I think most people don't understand.

Like take depression for example, when they list symptoms and have something like "decreased appetite", they don't mean that this qualifies to you if feel that you're not eating as much lately and will only have 3 pieces of pizza and not 4, it means that you've had a significant decrease in what you eat, like less than half of what you normally would and have a noted decrease in weight because of it.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 06:51 PM
link   
i thought this thread looked familiar...

ATS thread link

from back in september

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Whyhi

I agree fully with your post. There is a difference between disagreeing and actually being at a point where you are belligerent for not agreeing with you. There are many people like that on ATS I think...

Originally posted by notsofast
i thought this thread looked familiar...

ATS thread link

from back in september

I tried to find a post like this on ATS before posting this, but I could not find it. I guess there was .
edit on 16-11-2010 by fordrew because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 08:00 PM
link   
As I stated in the other thread, the DSM criteria for ODD mention nothing about free thinking, creativity, etc. It is a diagnosis for children who are incapable of listening to an authority figure, even if they know they are right. Interestingly, it generally only manifests in specific situations, such as only at home or only at school. However, the disorder does raise a red flag, as many who are diagnosed as having ODD end up with a diagnosis of antisocial personality disorder after they turn 18.

new topics

top topics

join