It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

IEA stated that peak of conventional oil production was reached 2006

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 01:36 PM
link   
On last Tuesday the IEA published a new document named "World Energy Outlook 2010".

In this document there is this interesting graphic in it:

According to this article here the IEA told that the conventional production of oil reached 2006 its peak.

However the oil production in total does probably not peak before 2035, if the amount of oil production in fields yet to be developed and fields yet to be found will be not lower than expected.

With our current lifestyle we will probably face huge problems because of oil shortage within few decades or a few years even if we invest much more in renewable energies. But there is some hope that we can somehow find a comfortable way to life with much less oil, either because of a alternative lifestyle or because of new technologies such as fusion energy.

On this site here there are also a two interesting graphics - one about the estimated oil prices and the other about oil production by key country:

edit on 11-11-2010 by Fenrin because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 07:05 PM
link   
I remember when this subject used to be huge around here.
I think BP oil changed all that. Also, I don't think
many people here are still waiting to be
convinced. It's treated like a fact,
and since no one has anything
to add, it drops away without
discussion. In fact I had
trouble figuring out
what to write just
to give this post
a bump.

David Grouchy

The day they take the last construction cone off of the last road, is the day we will be out of oil

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Yeah, I thought that the Gulf incident showed us that oil is likely never to be depleted.
Wouldn't you think that there would have been hundreds of ships out there sucking the suff up?
It just keep on seeping they keep on using dispersants on it to keep it out of sight.

Then there is the contiuous leaking well in Africa. The oil companies don't bother trying to capture it either.
So peak oil?

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Fenrin

The most important thing to understand about peak oil is that it isn't quite about a fixed supply of oil steadily running dry. Rather, it is about the newly found oil becoming more and more expensive to extract. For example, oil in Saudi Arabia can be extracted for about $6 per BARREL by essentially sticking a straw in the ground and with a simple pump sucking the black gold out. Those cheap supplies are what has peaked off and are becoming scarce. Meanwhile, large new supplies are being found but they are quite expensive. The Canadian oil being found is basically oily sand. Removing oil from sand is a lot more expensive than simply sucking it from a "straw" in the ground. So, supply in theory could remain incredibly high into the future, but in reality it wouldn't be practical because there are supply & demand curves that are changing to adjust for much higher cost oil.

There is also a very large quantity of low-cost oil that exists throughout various areas of the United States, but regulatory agencies have effectively stopped producers from getting into. So, there are a large number of factors at play.,

I'm just sharing some "peak oil common knowledge" here, and don't have the sources off hand. But yes, peak oil has passed and the quantity may not go up again for decades. The good news is that there are several engine technologies that dramatically reduce fuel consumption coming through the pipeline. An ATS search for "engine" will probably show some examples of that.
edit on 26-4-2011 by civilchallenger because: (no reason given)

top topics

join