It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ENOUGH! Manners in the Aliens/UFO Forum and those who habitually deride, insult, and just LOVE being

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by m0r1arty

You actually just clarified one of my main points, thank you... You ask about whether or not someone should volunteer their time in disproving an obviously (to them) fake/misidentified YouTube video that has apparently been thrown up on the site "willy nilly".

The answer is NO. If you think it's bunk and the only think you can add to the discussion is a snide remark or put down, simply IGNORE IT. That's all, don't waste your time.

I can't tell you how many times I do that a week, it's very easy.

In any case, this thread is now officially ridiculous and, since it's served its purpose of putting EVERYONE on notice, I'm closing it.

Springer...

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   
UPDATE

This thread was originally titled, "ENOUGH! YouTube Videos in the A/UFO Forum and those who hate them," and initiated just over a year ago. While we experienced some short-term improvement, it appears as though civility and manners in the Aliens & UFOs forum is in short supply again -- primarily as a result of habitual debunkers and those who seek to merely poke fun at sightings of any type.

Let the bumping of this thread serve as an additional and new warning that our staff will not tolerate incivility and and rudeness as is currently being experienced here.

Such posts are subject to immediate removal and/or actions against your account status on ATS.

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 08:24 AM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

What about the continual mocking/parodying of "debunkers" by people saying things like 'it must be chinese lanterns" or "swamp gas" and adding nothing to the discussion?

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 08:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

It applies to them as well.

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by seagull

Excellent.

Thankyou.

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

This isn't so much of a change, as it is a re-emphasis. The staff let things slide a bit, we are after all just humans. But our attention has now become a bit more focused.

Skeptic has sounded the warning.

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   
I want it to be clear that civility and politeness is a requirement of everyone who chooses to discuss this topic here on ATS.

The baiting and/or calling out of "debunkers" in posts will not stand either.

Critical thought is a valuable asset when it's applied in a civil manner, getting snarky or down right rude with someone who doesn't understand what they're looking at is not the way to go, going ballistic on someone because they disagree with your assertion that a bird in flight is an alien craft is not the way to go, neither will be tolerated any longer.

Springer...

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Springer

I'm very glad that you reminded everyone about general decorum,i saw a U.F.O. and put it in someones thread,another person who was not very good at making valid points thought he had the right to mock me and implied it was a figment of my imagination,which in all probabilty would deter me from making my own thread about my personal experiences and in course undermine the richness of the website if most other people felt the same.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Sorry Springer.. while I can see your point on manners and civility.. pointing the finger soley at debunkers/skeptics is kind of short sighted.

Two way streets have traffic going both ways.

People who continually post the most ridiculous photos/vids in the ufo section.. and refuse any other view but their own.. a certain woman in the PA woods rings a bell... are as much part of the problem as any rudeness by debunkers. That is a form of trolling all it's own.

Consider that plz. I don't really think you have so far.. unless it was in a superficial manner.

Idiocy exists on both sides of this equation.. one sided finger pointing is not the balance that's needed.. or the solution you should seek.

Lulz... we all have them

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by shadowstorm

I realize your comment is directed at Springer, but I would like to point out that the standards for civility for this forum and for all ATS forums have never changed, and they apply equally to all members, as they always have and always will.

As has been repeatedly made clear throughout this thread, from the very first post onward, skepticism and "debunking" are fine. Members have always been free and encouraged to believe whatever they want, draw their own conclusions and express their opinions accordingly. But as you say, that's a two-way street.

This thread exists because there have been MAJOR problems with critics who cannot be bothered to express their views without lacing them with insults, ridiculing members who come here to discuss Aliens & UFOs, which is the sole purpose of this forum and, in general, discouraging other members from sharing their views on this subject. It's been a lopsided problem since the forum was created, hence the focused attention.

There are many ATSers who believe or at least leave open the possibility that extraterrestrial life exists, and that extraterrestrial beings may have visited and may be continuing to visit our planet.

They are entitled to do so, and while other members are entitled to question those beliefs, those who cannot do so politely have no business posting in this forum.

It's not rocket science, should not be a difficult concept to grasp and most certainly should not be a controversial issue.

And for anyone confronted by the staff for misconduct in this forum, it will not be a matter for debate nor for which ignorance will be an acceptable excuse.

edit on 11/24/2011 by Majic because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 04:00 AM
link   
Usually the best way to draw an intelligent conclusion about something is to look at both sides of an argument using facts and where facts cannot be determined using some sort of intelligent prognosis eg probability analysis of events occurring and looking for consistencies between data gathered from independent sources. Believers need intelligent argument from skeptics and skeptics need intelligent argument based on truthful information from believers.

Name calling, rudeness and abuse contributes nothing to an argument and only goes to show the inmatureness and lack of emotional control of the interviduals engaging in this type of behavior. Well balanced, researched and thought out arguments are the best way to persuade intelligent minds and i believe that is what this site is trying to achieve.

While i am a believer, i believe that the ufo phenomeon is more subtle than many believers would have you believe. If benevalent aliens are contacting people, those people would probably be very carefully selected and possibly reincarnates from the particular alien society that is contacting them. In Sydney Australia on a clear night looking though a telescope or binoculars ufos can be seen. They are a long way away and i have never seen one up close. Most of the close up views of ufos are probably fakes specially the ones where the video preps the watchers. Overall this subject is dealing with speculation and hypotheticals. Evidence is very hard to come by and often comes by ways that are debatable themselves, misunderstood or we do not have the means to understand the evidence that is presented to us.

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Heres what iv witnessed/experienced & although iv not yet managed to get anything on camera i did make a site to share with others what iv seen as i believe its important to give as much details as possible with such an important subject.

I agree that less info about a sighting would draw suspicion as it does not take much to write down important details info so anyone out there that wants to be taken more seriously should remember this!.

dinossiteufo.weebly.com...
edit on 26-11-2011 by dinosilvano because: spelling mistake

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 07:28 AM
link   
UFOlogy is a highly subjective field. In many ways it's similar to religion in regard to the type of zeal we see within it's community. What many skeptics (including myself) would like to see is a more objective stance taken in the authoring of threads

Example:

Non Objective/Sensationalised Stance:
"Alien Craft Flying Over Sydney - PROOF!"

vs

Objective/Rational Stance:
Could This Be An Alien Craft Flying Over Sydney?

There is a big difference between the two! While one is completely disingenuous and through the act of proclamation, has closed all avenues for healthy discussion. The other is honest in that we really do not know for sure pending further review.

A Youtube video or eyewitness account does not equate to 'all the facts' and should never be treated as such within a healthy, progressive community. Each sighting should be treated on the merits of many factors, all of which require hours of solid, objective research. We should have an established criteria that each sighting should meet before being considered compelling, proof or otherwise. Neither the skeptics or believers do the field justice by jumping to conclusions before the criteria is met.

What we need is a working community based on establishing fact and not on spreading memes, hearsay or wish lists. We all need to work together and the believers should take into consideration that many skeptics here have had experiences (such as myself) and wish to elevate the topic by determining what is real and what is not by separating the wheat from the hay. Each time we do that, we get closer to an established truth. Of this, believers should be thankful.

My two cents!

IRM

edit on 5/12/11 by InfaRedMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 02:17 AM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

Now why would you go and make sense like that IRM? :O

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Springer

Well sir, you will only be a skeptic until or unless it happens to you. I dont mean just a strange light in the sky that may move around in a way you have not seen before. i am talking about a close up encounter, close enough to see more than flashing lights. Close enough to hear no sound what so ever. Close enough to see many details. When you se something like this, there is NO doubt what so ever that what you are looking at is NOT from here. Now as what happens most of the time is everything from..how many drugs was he using, does he have a history of mental illnes?? ect. The fact that there are ancient cave pictures etched into stone of the example of what is seen today. Ignored is all and any ancient writings that tslk of aliens. Ignored is any evidence whatso ever that clearly validates other information. there is alot of it out there. all ignored or mocked by main stream science or the very skeptical. I suspectthat even a few of the highly deluded skeptical if they had an encounter a real close up would simply question thier own mental condition and hurry off to a two hundred dollar an hour skrink and have the whole thing explained away. So, realy then there is NOTHING that will ever convince the hard skeptic 100 percent. If you look at ancient ruins scattered around the globe and listen to the explanations of main stream science, that being that primitve people with nothing more than wood and copper chisels and ropes and loggs moived cut 100 ton plus blocks of very hard stone, transported them for dozens of miles and placed them at high elevations.

This actualy makes more sense to many than aliens were there in ancient times with superior knowledge. Far better to think that some one who didnt even know geometric equations could build these massive structures we see all over the planet. Far better to say of a 20,00 year old petroglyph etched in stone of a flying saucer, far better to think its anything but what it represents. The drawings of beings with helmets and suits on? Far better to think its simply how they viewed thier..(gods) I wonder what you would think of the website..Mars anomalies? This website clearly shows eveidence of past life on mars with many buildings and objects,,,yet nasa just explains away with absurd and moronic statements and all is well.

My personal take on these aliens is that they are nothing more than intergalatic plunderers and terrorists. They take what they want when they want clear off this planet. The capture and torture who ever they please. They are worse than an earthly politician, at least when it stays at home there is a chance some one may get it back. But these guys take it its a loss for all. How convenient that the thousands of peices of evidence that are in writing and the mute testimony left in mamoth stone mean simply whatever they decide it means.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by DoomsdayRexDo you realize in ancient indian writting there is a clear description of the (gods) throwing fire at one another. The description goes on in depth. When you are done reading this you can not help but think of missles being fired. Also somewwhere in India is the remakins of a large slagged into glass area with no volcanic activity in the area for millenia. Also there is evidence of low levels of radiation not natural in origin. Also there is evifence of ancient mines once investigated were found to have mined radioactive minerals. This can not be explained away. The scientists that did the reasearch were accepted as some of the best in the field. The ancient indian texts told of (veemanas) flying objects. Now why is all this labeled fantasy? This is just one kind of evidence. Now look at the remains of huge stone buildings that even today we would find very challanging to built. yet we are suppose to buy the claim by main stream science that this was done with crude metal chisels, ropes, and loggs? Moved dozens of miles and cut with amazing tolerance? Far better to think that these primitve people did all this!?? It all relates, the ancient buildings, the ancient writings ect and modern day sightings tell us that they never left, have ben here for a very long time and are not goiung away any time soon.

Now if all you do is say ..show me the proof! Can i see it/ touch it ? feel it? That is the biggest flaw in main stream science. The good thinh is, many of them are starting to see the truth. Not long ago it was laughed at to think there might be extra solar planets. Today there is near 400 and growing. But, until one was found they stubbornly refused to think there were any. There nis even CLEAR eveidence a machine cut in a very hard block of stone just like a modern day diamond saw would make. Anylized buy accepted experts, no hoax possible for several reasons that were plain even to skeptics. So, instead of reading it for what it clearly is, a fine example of high level of technology 7,000 years. No explanation is givien by the skeptic once faced with these facts. Only that it still...(cant be right).

<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join