It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Practical Health Advice Sought.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Alright I'm going to make this simple. I'm not going to take this question to a DR. because I know what they're going to say:

I am 6'3'' or so. two and a half years ago I weighed 190 lbs.

Then i stopped smoking and started grad school.I've been on and off snus since then and recently quit snus a few weeks ago and have been totally tobacco clean since.

Today I was diagnosed as obese, weighing in at 240 lbs.

I know, I know, IVE BEEN SO FREAKING LAZY. Its disgusting. way more goes into this then just my schedule/tobacco habit.

But here's my practical question:

I want to get this weight off fast. I've never weighed anywhere near this much, or its equivalent for my height, etc and I don't like it. I"m actually going in for a diabetes test next wednesday. AAAAAAARG! I"m an idio. To me this weight is my primary health concern.

I'm honestly considering going back on tobacco while I ramp up this diet. I need something to suppress appetite and raise my metabolism. SHOULD I DO IT?

I know a doctor would say "hell no." but that's why i'm not giong to ask a doctor. But believe me, being able to pop a snus and eat smaller meals/have a higher metabolism without even thinking about it would reallly really be helpful right now.

i know tobacco is bad for you, but when i lose half this weight i would stop. 25 lbs can be lost in 3 months. i think its a good trade off, but then again there's the risk of getting readdicted.

just carefully consider what you would do while recognizing that there are advantages to getting back on tobacco. i don't mean to be myopic but i dont' want to be so true to principle that i just end up fatter. haha. i know my limits and i know this would help, but there's always the addiction risk.

just put yourself in my shoes and tell me what you'd do, blues clues.
edit on 4-11-2010 by snusfanatic because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by snusfanatic

Have a strict diet, low calories etc., and some decent exercise would be my only solution if I were in your shoes.

Shortening your life span wouldn't be to great a trade off for fewer days spent exercising when you should be exercising regardless ( In my opinion anyways.)

link   
You'll probably just regain the weight after you quit again. In my opinion it'd be better to just train your body and mind now without using the crutch of tobacco. I know the tobacco helps- believe me.

Why not try raising your metabolism through nutrition, portion planning and maybe try yoga? Taking cayenne supplements along with walking and yoga will have the weight off of you in no time!
Herbs to raise metabolism
Here's a good yoga site

link   
Double post -.-

edit on 4-11-2010 by StinkFist because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 06:22 PM
link   
No don't go back to smoking. Just eat a healthy diet of low fat meats, have fruits and veggies every day. Excercise even if it's just going for walks. Treat yourself once in a while or you'll never last. Don't think of it as a diet. Think of it as a healthy life style. Don't skip meals. Good luck!

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Lower your caloric intake. Cardio 3 xs a week and strength training 3xs a week. Take a break on weekends. Eat what you want and do what you want on the weekend. There is a diet pill I know of that is over the counter that doesn't mess with your heart but you have to make sure it is approved by doc before you try it. Basically that's it. I train a woman 5xs a week and she's lost 31 lbs since mid sept. and this is what I make her do.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 03:46 AM
link   
Due to the extreme work pressure and hectic working schedules any person can frequently suffer from stress and fatigue and because of which the output gets trembled. If you want to lose weight than gym is the best available option but it sometimes lead you to back pain problem. If you have back pain problem from long time will help you get rid from back pain problem.
edit on Dec 31st 2018 by Djarums because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Are you just looking for an excuse to use tobacco again ??

If you want to lose a lil fat, ... I can help you there,

First off, ... lets add a few supplements to your list, I'm sure what you can get will be dependant on your budget, but you'll notice once you start eating clean you'll be saving alot of money.

in order of importance ...

-Protein, whey is ok, but a blend of whey/casein/egg is prolly better.

- ECA stack, ephedrine, caffeine, aspirin, so effective it had to be banned ! but you can still find it online.

- Lecithin - a fat emulsifier

- L- carnitine, will increase your cells capacity to burn energy.

-CLA - only if you have the cash.

... and we can't forget about a good multi vitamin, .... or better yet, ... a "greens drink" the more complex the better, .... antioxidants are too overlooked these days, .... this will give you everything you need, and help alkalize your body as fat burning tends to be somewhat acidic.

Diet:

If you wanted to "cut" or lose fat as quicky as possible I'd reccomend an extremely low carb diet ( less than 20 grams) going thise route you can successfully lose over 5 lbs a week, and thats WITH cheat days, .... it is also very anabolic and you will feel as though you are on a steroid. However it is very stressful on the body, and very acidic, ..... lets face it, your body isnt designed to burn Ketones for an extended period of time, .... it will take alot out of you and you are more prone to bouncing back.

Since you have the rest of your life to do this, ....

I would simply reccomend "trying" to cut out all sugars, high fructose corn syrups.... breads, pastries, even pasta.

Your optimal diet would be meats and veggies, .... as humans have existed on for thousands of years. Fat is not your enemy here, ... dont worry about fat content, .... only sugars and refined carbs. Eat as cleany as you can, ... your body doesnt know what to do with pepperoni ok, ... all of these nitrates and preservitives can mess with the delicate internal chemistry of your body and reduce its fat burning capabilities.

You want to have a big breakfast, and taper throughout your day, optimaly you dont want to have any carbs at dinner or afterwards, have a protein/water shake if you get hungry, ..... most people dont know this, .. but you can do a majority of your fat burning while asleep. ... thats why you can also pack on the pounds if you like to splurge before bed.

Like I said.... don't get all Nazi on your diet, .... dont measure and count calories, for the moment just change WHAT you eat, ..... as you experience results you can make adjustments and taper it down.

Excercise:

It sounds like your busy and have your hands full, .... once you get your diet switched over I'd reccomend weight training, not only does it burn calories as aerobic excercises, .... but as you build muscle your metabolism will raise as well. it also helps body composition/shape.

if you can't make it to the gym, .... buy some dumbells, you can do pushups, curls, shoulder presses, ... more than you can imagine without even leaving your house. Dont worry about motivation.... the ECA-ephedrine stack will take care of that.

if you have any more questions let me know.

-

join