It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Internet in 60 years time?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Evening ATS, a lot of ATS members come from a generation which didnt grow up with the internet being widely available, or computers were affordable.

But another generation (like myself) was brought up around the internet from a early age, about 7 years old i first went onto the internet at Primary School.

Im pondering about what the internet will look like in 60 years time, when i am an old man, i can log onto my youtube account and show my grandchildren videos i made in the year 2010, log onto my Facebook account and show them photos of me at a party when i was 18.

To me, this reality is quite incredible, my age range are the first generation where out life is logged in stunning detail of our younger years.

But, what do you think the internet will look like in 60 years time? Will youtube be around for 60 more years? 100 years? A 100 year old website (AMAZING to think about).

What will computers look like?

Will all the infomation be too much for servers to handle? Will the internet crash?

Thoughts please, amazing times ahead i think.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Computers they say will be smarter than humans..

Internet, I think will be controlled like TV is..

Other than That I dont know.. hopefully I am dead by time the terminators come to wipe out this poor excuse for human beings..

::EDIT::

I read more of your post.. I will be dead definitely by time 100 yrs rolls around..
The internet will not crash it is basically impossible even in todays standards for it to crash unless someone pulls the button..

I think we will be jacked in also.. VR i am thinking.
edit on 11/1/2010 by ThichHeaded because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   
I suppose a lot of grandchildren will come to found out GamGam was indeed a ho back in the day.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 04:29 PM
link   
I expect that we will see the internet in the same terms we see the power grid nowadays. You won't really think about it much. When I want to receive power to my fridge, I just plug it in. The same will be true for "the cloud". In fact, I would imagine that it will be mostly wireless anyway by then and totally decentralized. The idea of centralized DNS servers will be going away replaced instead with trusted name relays. In addition, every device on the network will be given a certificate indicating it's identity. Anonymity might still exist, but it will be harder to maintain.

In an age where everything you pick up has instant access to information, there would be a possibility for increased overall practical intelligence; however, as recent history in the USA has shown, with increased functionality come increased entertainment options. We might swing the other way and become so dependant on the machines for information that we forgot how to get it ourselves.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   
The internet existed on the most basic level when I was a kid. America Online was brand new, and connection speed was a joke. However, when I was born...the world wide web had not even been tested and completed by CERN.

I had vinyl records and cassette tapes.Eventualy...CDs!!

Youtube and facebook will probably not exist. They will be something else, by that point, that fits with whatever techno-trend is current.

Like Myspace....who uses it anymore? It's gone..replaced by facebook. This will continue.

What will computers look like? They will look like your tv, and your phone. People are working hard now, to intergrate the internet and TV, so they are synonymous. Imagine leaving your laptop hooked up to your TV all the time, via VGA cable. That is the future. Your phone will be the remote. The tv will be wifi compatible, and the phone will pick up the tv's bluetooth signal to control it.

Google/Sony have a 1st generation version of this out now. However, more money is to be made by merging all of the cable/broadband providers to one single provider. This will be the internet your tv recieves.

The downside to this technology, is the internet will finally be in danger of being filtered/censored. Why?

If internet is just another utility, like power and water, the control is absolute over the utility. See what Im getting at?

It takes 10 years to fizz out obsolete technology. So I imagine in the next ten years, the internet will be drastically different. Just like no one uses CRT monitors anymore.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by InertiaZero

I think you are right there, but no cables. I don't think wireless is a fad. I am also reasonably convinced that laptops will go away. Everything will be in the cloud and the "dumb terminal" will once again reign supreme.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 04:38 PM
link   
If Moores law will hold, in hundred years we will all live as neural network simulations in silico, thus achieving immortality (at least till the electric blackout
), and internet would probably function as a direct virtual brain to virtual brain (B2B
) network. Facebook will also become conscious, or obsolete

edit on 1/11/10 by Maslo because: typo

edit on 1/11/10 by Maslo because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 05:01 PM
link   
The internet will no longer be using computers. We will start connecting our minds to one another. our brains runs on a frequency of radio waves. We can amplify them and send them across the world in a blink of an eye. The internet will not exist anymore. We will have a nerve network. Where our minds transfers data and high speeds. The video games will be real as it can get. We will use real images and you can fully play in it and your body can react to it just like the movie matrix. I think it's possible to get to that point where you can upload yourself into a program but your mind and the machines will be running on the same frequency and brainwaves as ours.
We sites won't exist anymore it be a thing of the past. They will must likely be a virtual world where you plug your body in and you upload yourself into another world which would be a store look. More like a library where you virtually read information. Computers will be the same look. Just that it be more complex. We be using high frequencies and process alot of data more then what we are doing today. We will be able to print out human organs using a printer and car factories won't have a assembly like they will have units of printers that will use nano technology to build the car by doing it by each element. Why you say we can do this it's because of the data needed. Today we do have the technology and understand but we lack the amount of data and the speed to use such technology today since it will take long to do such a thing. By 60 years from now we will perfect it to the point that we can build a car from the atoms all the way up 100% perfection and no defects possible in a matter of seconds. This will allow people to design their own cars or hire a engineer to design you once since the costs for such a thing will be very low. This is the same with any manfuactoring business.

I also think we will do alot. I heard about nano suits which gives humans super strength. I would say the computers will process information faster then the speed of light. This allows Nasa and other organization to process more complex math equations and I think at this point math will expand more. I also think by this time PHD's will be the next Master Degrees. Their will be a higher degree then PHD.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Haydn_17
Evening ATS, a lot of ATS members come from a generation which didnt grow up with the internet being widely available, or computers were affordable.

But another generation (like myself) was brought up around the internet from a early age, about 7 years old i first went onto the internet at Primary School.

Im pondering about what the internet will look like in 60 years time, when i am an old man, i can log onto my youtube account and show my grandchildren videos i made in the year 2010, log onto my Facebook account and show them photos of me at a party when i was 18.

To me, this reality is quite incredible, my age range are the first generation where out life is logged in stunning detail of our younger years.

But, what do you think the internet will look like in 60 years time? Will youtube be around for 60 more years? 100 years? A 100 year old website (AMAZING to think about).

What will computers look like?

Will all the infomation be too much for servers to handle? Will the internet crash?

Thoughts please, amazing times ahead i think.
The internet came around to me when I was in my twenties,never imagined anything like this,(I remember when colored television was cool!)but as far as the future I would think we would be the computer,that we would not need a device,that we could bring up any information we wanted just by mere thought.whatever it is, it's like you said " it's amazing times ahead"

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 03:44 AM
link   
Food for thought!

There is a paper and pen RPG called Shadowrun made by Catalyst Games. It is set in the year 2074 or so. In their alternate future, corporations have taken over the world utterly, with privatized police and jails, corporate courts and judges, extraterritoriality (corporate states), and ..... the Matrix.

The view of the future they present is so harrowing and palpable that it is quite disturbing, yet fascinating. When I read about it, I feel as if I'm looking into the future, in a sense. The level of detail they go into is absolutely astonishing.

Anyways, on topic, the Matrix is the seamless connection of all electronic devices through wireless interface. There is an old wired system which is still in place, but hardly used because the Matrix crashed a couple times, and when it did the first time they just upgraded the entire system to wireless, basically. There is both AR (Augmented Reality) and VR (Virtual Reality), and they can be switched between instantly. AR is an electronic, interactive overlay to the real world, where any object with a Matrix connection can connect to you, and with your overlay can display additional information, color, etc. VR is a direct jack through your head or a neural implant which cuts all (save subconscious) bodily functions and immerses your mind directly into the Matrix. A virtual world where all objects, including you, are linked into the Matrix and have a virtual representation which can be anything you want it to be. Physical laws are nonexistent, so spaces and distances can be distorted at will. You can travel across the world in the blink of an eye in VR.

At this point I am starting to ramble but basically I think Shadowrun offers an unparalleled vision of the future of internet and connectivity, along with the rest of the world in general! According to their reality, magic ebbs and flows and there is a resurgence of magical activity, which causes "birth defects", which are later found to be so called "meta-humans", such as trolls, elves, orcs, dwarves, etc.

One of the craziest aspects is that when the Matrix crashed, people that were logged onto VR had their consciousnesses trapped inside the Matrix!! When it was brought back online, there were new, super-powerful AI's roaming about the Matrix, and people called Technomancers started emerging. These Technomancers were able to control the Matrix directly with their minds; rather than using programs and devices, they created codes and algorithms which they "ride" through the Matrix! Think about it, it's some crazy stuff!!

NEXUS

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 04:10 AM
link   
Hi i dont want to ruin your future hopes for internet use but i cant really see our current consumer driven lifestyle sustained in the long term,I think you may well be tending to your vegetables in the biosphere.

new topics

top topics

join