It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Ignorance Bliss? Where are these peoples minds?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 12:36 PM
link   
This has been on my mind now for awhile, and everyday it just seems to become more obvious with each conversation I have with people.

Because of the job I have, I have plenty of time to interact with my customers with idle chit chat. Trying to make conversation isnt always easy with strangers, so I try to pick current topics to make it easier. That doesn't always seem to go so well either.

For example: A older conversation went something like this -
Me:"So, what do you think of them bombing the moon?"
Them: "Bombing the moon?"
Me: "Yes we are bombing the moon in search of water so they say."
Them: " I didn't know we were going to bomb the moon."

Another more recent example:
Me: "Ugh, more chemtrails today, it just makes me sick to see."
Them: "What are chemtrails?"
Me: See all those lines in the sky? Those are chemtrails."
Them: "You mean contrails?"
Me: " No, I mean chemtrails."
Them: "Whats the difference? I never heard of them."

One more quick example.
Me: "So sad about those earthquakes isn't it?"
Them: "Yes it is, its that globel warming I bet."
Me: Some folks think HAARP might be behind it too."
Them: "HAARP? Whats that? I never heard of it."

These are just a very few examples to try and get the point across here. I have many I could continue with, but why bother.

These people are for the most part very well educated, have high paying jobs, and many of them hold high positions.

How can they be so oblivious to what is going on around them? When you try to explain to them what you are talking about, they just look at you like you just fell off the turnip truck. It really is quite frustrating.

I must have had that moon bombing conversation with over a 100 people. Only 1 knew what I was talking about.

As of yet, noone has known about chemtrails or HAARP, just for a couple of examples.

Can someone tell me what is wrong with this picture?

Is ignorance bliss for these people? Are they maybe better off? Unlike us they don't have to worry about counting the days down for any particular prediction or what have you? Not that I count the days or lose sleep, but they are always in the back of my mind more or less.

I don't know, it is just so hard for me to fathom, with so much information out there, how these people are so totally unaware. Are any of you running into this in your daily travels?

edit on 1-11-2010 by onehuman because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Everyday Onehuman, everyday.

While I have the luxury of working in front of a computer with easy access to this all, there's a lot of people out there hustling their asses off 8-10 hours a day, just to put bread on the table. They have no time, or when they get time, they sure don't want to spend it finding out about HAARP, or chemtrails. TMZ is much more entertaining.
And books? I know very few people who will actually sit and read a book either. Shame.

IMO, this is exactly as TPTB want it too.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   
I am glad the OP brought up this topic. You are absolutely right.
So many people are totally oblivious to what is going on around
them. They don't have a clue about any of this. They go on and
on with their daily life, as they should, but they know nothing
of what's happening in the world. I wish that everyone could come
to ATS for just one day and see what the rest of the world is
discussing. It would be a great eye opener for the clueless.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by onehuman
Because of the job I have, I have plenty of time to interact with my customers with idle chit chat.

...thats not idle chit-chat, imo, but i'm a little old fashioned...

...if you own the company, theres no problem with you using it to promote a personal agenda - but - if you're an employee, most bosses will not appreciate it and/or tolerate it...

...i've been management before and i was fairly tolerant but i didnt allow employees to burden customers (or other employees) with their issues at home or their political views or religious opinions or gossip... imo, you need to save that stuff for your off-time...

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Not everyone likes conspiracy theories. I didn't know about HAARP until I joined this site and read about it. I know tones of people who believe in the stereo type that all conspiracy theorists live in their moms basements smoking a joint.

Its not a big publicly known thing. Some people just choose to not investigate these matters since they have other things to do with their lives.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by onehuman

Most people are oblivous because most of the stuff on here is BS! What do people care about made up predictions? Why should people care? The end of the world is ALWAYS predicted for just around the corner....still hasnt happened yet.

Are you just upset that these "predictions" are never true? That the world is not changing because you want it to? I'm one of those people that you talk about in a high position. I'm able to look at this site from time to time during my day because I have a interest in some of the topics and find some of the writing here entertaining. However it drives me crazy when someone gets on here and starts PREACHING. There is no ignorance to something that is non exhistent.

By the way, you might come off a little better preaching if you ran your post through a spell check.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wyn Hawks

Originally posted by onehuman
Because of the job I have, I have plenty of time to interact with my customers with idle chit chat.

...thats not idle chit-chat, imo, but i'm a little old fashioned...

...i've been management before and i was fairly tolerant but i didnt allow employees to burden customers (or other employees) with their issues at home or their political views or religious opinions or gossip... imo, you need to save that stuff for your off-time...

I understand your point, but I really dont have these conversations with a "agenda." I am just talking about what is in the news. It is not like I am steering conversations in any way. These topics just come up. I would be thrilled to actually have someone that knew what I was talking about. Would make the conversation a whole lot easier!

I also have the sense to not talk about politics, much less religion. That is most certainly a can of worms I would never open. I think the news is pretty safe though, but that is my humble opinion.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by amc621

Dear me, where did I come off that I was preaching? I think you might have missed my point, or perhaps I didn't present it to well.

I just find it curious how many people are so unaware of some of the topics we see here everyday. I dont expect people to know about all the predictions we read here, that would be ridiculous.I myself find them more of a entertainment to see if they come true or not.

I really don't think I preach to anyone, Im just talking about what is in the news.

On a side note, to attack someone for their spelling here is kind of ..... perhaps practice what you preach? (exhistent)

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cherryontop
Everyday Onehuman, everyday.

While I have the luxury of working in front of a computer with easy access to this all, there's a lot of people out there hustling their asses off 8-10 hours a day, just to put bread on the table. They have no time, or when they get time, they sure don't want to spend it finding out about HAARP, or chemtrails. TMZ is much more entertaining.
And books? I know very few people who will actually sit and read a book either. Shame.

IMO, this is exactly as TPTB want it too.

Im sorry Cherryontop, I meant to comment earlier to you but got distracted. It is sad books have gone to the wayside, really a shame that is. I know people are tired after a long day and just want to relax with mind numbing things, but it really is scary. I agree with you that this is exactly how tptb hope for the populace to be. Explains why they have gotten away with so much.

I guess Im happy with at least letting these people know they can at least google what I was talking about while they have downtime waiting for a plane or whatever. Funny they almost seem excited about doing that, so I guess thats good news in a weird way.

Thanks for getting what I was trying to say at least!

new topics

top topics

join