It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alcohol more dangerous than crack cocaine and heroin: study

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 03:16 AM
link   
www.smh.com.au... aine-and-heroin-study-20101101-179pa.html

Alcohol is more dangerous than illegal drugs such as heroin and crack coc aine - when the ripple effect on society is taken into consideration, a new British study has found.

British experts said alcohol was most destructive because it was so widely used and had devastating consequences not only for drinkers but for those around them.

The study evaluated substances including alcohol, coc aine, heroin, ecstasy and marijuana, ranking them based on how destructive they were to the individuals who took them and to society as a whole.

Researchers analysed how addictive a drug was and how it harmed the human body, in addition to other criteria such as environmental damage caused by the drug, its role in breaking up families and its economic costs, such as healthcare, social services and prison.

Heroin, crack coc aine and methamphetamine, or crystal meth, were the most lethal to individuals.

When considering their wider social effects, alcohol, heroin and crack coc aine were the deadliest. But overall, alcohol outranked all other substances, followed by heroin and crack coc aine. Marijuana, ecstasy and '___' scored far lower.

The study was paid for by Britain's Centre for Crime and Justice Studies and was published online today in the medical journal The Lancet.

It is good to see articles like this, although I'm sure it will do little to persuade the die-hard anti-drugs crew. What makes this particularly interesting is that the study was paid for by a reputable group and was published in a reputable magazine.

Experts said the study should prompt countries to reconsider how they classified drugs. For example, last year in Britain, the government increased its penalties for the possession of marijuana. One of its senior advisers, David Nutt - the lead author on the Lancet study - was fired after he criticised the British decision.

"What governments decide is illegal is not always based on science," said Professor van den Brink. He said considerations about revenue and taxation, such as those garnered from the alcohol and tobacco industries, might influence decisions about which substances to regulate or outlaw.

"Drugs that are legal cause at least as much damage, if not more, than drugs that are illicit," he said.

I recommend visiting the link and reading the entire article.

edit on 1/11/2010 by Kryties because: To add more (obviously)

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 03:23 AM
link   
Many people have been saying this for a very long time.
Here in the UK, the cost to the taxpayer treating injuries due to alcohol induced violence and stupidity is huge. Add to that the acts of alcohol induced vandalism and the cost of policing many town and city centres when the pubs and clubs close and the cost rises further.

I'd like to see charges introduced for any treatment of injuries received where alcohol is a factor. The NHS is cash strapped as it is and alcohol linked injuries and illnesses are a huge drain on resources.
I expect the authors of the report to be ridiculed again over this, like they were previously, forcing their resignation from government employment, but they deserve to be heard and I think the figures speak for themselves.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 05:24 AM
link   
Well done to Prof Nutt for trying to get the truth out. The 'problems' of drugs in our society are actually created by the rules we put in place:

- Illegal drugs only fund criminals because they're illegal

- Illegal drugs only lead to harder drugs because it's the same illegal dealers that sell them all

- Alcohol, although widely used in our society, is still taboo. Children are told so much 'don't do it' that they go and do it anyway, do it too much, and carry their binge drinking habits over to adulthood. Look at France and Italy where alcohol is taken with meals and regularly given to kids at a young age. No binge drinking there and low alcoholism.

- We spend more time educating kids saying 'Don't do it' rather than focusing on 'How to do it safely'. Look at the 2 kids in the UK that died because they took mephedrone + methadone. Their deaths could've been avoided if they knew one speeds the heart up, the other slows it down and that can lead to a bad time M'kay. Hell, a guy died at a party last week from taking too much caffeine for gods sake!

Proper education is the start. Kids need to know how to respect what they put in thier bodies and what these substances actually do to their physiology.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 07:14 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maslo
www.abovetopsecret.com...

In all fairness, this thread was started 51 minutes before the thread in your posted.

On topic, this study is just one sided and opinionated. Alcohol has been around forever, as well as coca and opiates. The thing about crack and heroin is that people have found a way to make these drugs (coca and opiates) stronger and the time for its effects to be felt faster.

If the use of these two drugs were as prevalent as alcohol use, the way the world is now would cease to exist. It would be worse many times over.
edit on 2/11/10 by Intelearthling because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 06:11 AM
link   
Oh I see,so we should drink moderately or stop totally drinking alcohol?

its ok for me that because im not drink such alcohols i prefer my self on wines
because it is good for the heart and i think for those who are addicted with some
types of alcohol they shuld find other way to spend their time. they should spend their
time with their family, have some bonding or maybe have some vacations like swimming
then buy some stuffs/pool supplies.

I support those one who fight against this alcohol..
Remember: Alcohol kills. STOP Drinking

thanks for sharing

ray wilson

top topics

join