It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is NASA Covering Up the 100-Year Starship? (just out)

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Max_TO

I dont think they should be sending people out there blinded.... to never return again, that is just absurd.. what human would leave their family and friends behind forever? You might as well wear black and cry the whole time the space ship is getting ready to launch, it will basically be a funeral for there close ones... I could understand doing increments of 10 years, 5 years out there 5 years back so we can have some eye witness navigation and experience, then move to 20 years 10 years out and 10 years back and at the most 30 years, 15 out and 15 years back... that way if they leave at the youngest of 25 years old, then they could atleast return at 35, 45, and 50 years old...just my opinion

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

Hmm very interesting thread, thanks for bringing this to my attention (star & flag for you sir). Hope you don't mind me posting this here but it is related...sort of. This could be the dry-run if you will.
WANTED: Pioneers to take a one-way trip to mars
yes I know the source is from a taboid newspaper...best I could do at the mo
edit on 29/10/10 by UnderstandingWisdom because: Manners

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by UnderstandingWisdom

No buddy. Your efforts are apprecitated. There is just so much stuff out there anymore that one needs all the ATS eyes open and gathering all the info we can.

The info will get gleened over and evaluated. It's the only way. Way to step up.

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by UnknownSheep

Originally posted by HollowJacket
I know astronauts constantly have to exercise to keep their muscles from atrophying in the absence of gravity. The stress of living in a completely sterile environment in the black void of space has to be unbeleiveable. I dont think we're cut out for this one...send more robots first...
edit on 29-10-2010 by HollowJacket because: too many emoticons

Sensible idea. We already have robots that have the upper body and torso of a human and comparable dexterity, if not speed, of the hand. Then you have the Boston Dynamics Big Dog robot that can keep it's balance and walk on almost any surface. Combine these two into one robot, give it the most sophisticated a.i. system you can. Send it into space with enough material to replicate itself a few times. Send it to the planet and see what happens.

If we could figure out a way to communicate as fast as photons seem to, we could operate the robot in real time and thus have a very good robot with Human intelligence.

We have astrobot I and 2 already, as dexterous as a human and can use our tools. Also we have had success in splitting photon pairs, which does deliver what you are asking for. (check out Bells theorem) This allows for instantaneous communication.

I agree with you, that robots are our first arrivals, they can do the building, and I am sure that we will be able to shield a dwelling for people to live anywhere. Like some feedback on the idea of sending sperm and eggs that get fertilised once the ship has arrived and the domes are built. Is this in humane? Have they been recruited without their blessing? Is this morally wrong?

The robots become their teachers; they get to learn of us and our hopes for them that they can continue if we perish.

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Peter Brake

Like some feedback on the idea of sending sperm and eggs that get fertilised once the ship has arrived and the domes are built. Is this in humane? Have they been recruited without their blessing? Is this morally wrong?

Sir, I hadn't thought of that one. Excellent idea. I think it is the most humane thing we could do. The offspring-if you will, wouldn't know it's parents, life on earth. Heck no religion, politics or other crap to mess their mind up. I am sure there is a lot of downsides but hey, we won't have to deal with it-they will.

I could see a reality show eventually. People here watching them-without their knowledge. A new Adam and Eve thing maybe? I know you think I am kidding, but I am not.

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 11:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Peter Brake

The robots become their teachers; they get to learn of us and our hopes for them that they can continue if we perish.

I think you should read this book. Actually you should all read this book!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ac50d72f71a5.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 12:07 AM
link   
its been over 40 years since they sent a man to the moon, and its been over 20 years since they first started the shuttle program, and your going to tell me this is all they've got for propulsion since the 1960's.

I know for a fact they have nuclear propulsion that could send a building the size of the trade center into outer space, and where ever the hell they want to send it.

chances are we're already on mars and all the space shuttle crap is just a cover for the real hidden technology. just as hydrogen fuel was developed back in the 30's to float the Hindenburg all over the planet. they knew back then it was a viable fuel, but they chose to hide the simplicity of its manufacture and uses so they could control us with fossil fuels.

NEVER A STRAIGHT ANSWER.

any technology needed to get us to mars and sustain life is here and has been here for a long time. its just a matter of doing the math on a time frame, doing the math on the fuel. then start building the ships with the robotics and life support systems on them and start daisy chain launching rockets one after another for the next 6 months until they have everything and everyone they'll ever need to support a large operational colony.

we already have the fuel, its been bought and paid for by the taxpayers since the 40's

unfortunately the private sector isnt going to ever get their hands on any of it, and nasa is going to continue milking the american tax payer for their hidden agendas.

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 01:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by UnknownSheep
1 million from Darpa? 100k from Nasa? What kind of engine is it, rubber bands and plastic sticks?

While I accept the fact that there may be a plan for a 100 year star ship, it seems to me that 1,100,000 dollars would not be nearly enough to develop the engine. And as far as not coming back from mars, it would be completely possible using the tech that we have now to go to mars and come back for people. If there was a station there, or a colony, you could stay several years and still come back. I don't think the problem with settling mars is the propulsion system of the rocket. I would say that the problem would lie providing enough space in the ship for the astronauts to live comfortably for the six month trip.

As far as colonizing other planets that are not in our solar system, then yes, you would need a star ship like the one proposed. Personally I think the answer lies in nano technology and understanding how to manipulate the self assembling process of matter. Let me cross my front legs, chew on some clover and meditate on it and I'll get baaaa-ck to you.

A new propulsion system would allow for a bigger and cheaper ship. 90% of our rockets are fuel, if we cut that to 80% then we can double the space of the rocket without touching it's actual size.

The apollo 11 mission had the biggest rocket in history, imagine the size you'd need to get to and land something infinitely further away? the moon is 3-4 days trip, mars is 6 months or something.

Also, why's it called the 100-year starship?
edit on 30-10-2010 by venik88 because: to ask question

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 04:18 AM
link   
reply to post by venik88

I was wondering that also. I'm assuming that wherever they want to go would take 100 years to get to with whatever propulsion system they are thinking of. Seems like if they are calling it the 100 year starship they already have a target in mind. Of course that's just a theory...or is it a conspiracy theory? lol.

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 04:41 AM
link   
You bring up some interesting points. I was considering the possibility that we were already on mars for a number of reasons. Not the least of which is the galactic alignment coming up in 2012 and the possible adverse effects that it might have on our planet. I mean two planets are better than one if you think the one you are on may end.

Putting the right type of people on mars, and hoping that what happened to it before didn't happen again, would mean continuity of not only government...but the species. At least for a while.

The other reason I was thinking about this is because of science fiction. Follow me here: Sci Fi is responsible for a LOT of technology that we have today. Inventors and scientists that were children watched programs like Star Trek, got the ideas and ran with them making them into a reality in many cases. Look at the similarity between the computers on the original series and the desktops of the late seventies and today. Monitor and disk can clearly be seen. Voice activation, etc.

So following this line of reasoning I began to think of other latter twentieth century shows in which it was a given that Mars had a breathable atmosphere. I haven't checked yet but can it be that this was once popular cosmological thought?

If so then here is the conspiracy theory: I'm the government. I know from the writings of the ancients, and modern scientific thoughts that it is entirely possible that the coming alignment in 2012 will be the "end of the age", i.e. the end of the way of life and the earth as we know it. I, the government, also know that mars has a breathable atmosphere. I decide that it is in the best interest of my country and society as we know it to plant misinformation by telling the public that we were wrong and that number 1, mars does NOT have a breathable atmosphere, number 2, all theories about 2012 are hogwash. I do this to prevent social upheaval. I mean if the public knew for a fact that the world as we know it was going to come to an end, they would go ape @#$%.

Then after everyone becomes convinced of these two things ( and why wouldn't they, they only know what we tell them ) I begin to build space ships based on the ufo's that I've recovered. After all even if we only grasped 1% of advanced alien tech it would jump our technology several decades at the very least. I use the same tech to design material needed for the mission. I do whatever I can to keep people paying taxes to support the public lie as to why we need to be in space, and do the missions in private. Finally putting the people and material on mars to build a settlement there and thus doubling my chances of continuing not only my species, but my way of life and my ideology.

There you go folks...now I truly feel like one of you. Flame on!

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 05:01 AM
link   
The TR-3B can go to Mars and return to earth. So who says that those astronauts are not coming back to earth? Did that hacker of the Pentagon said that there is a Space Division in the military?

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 05:37 AM
link   
reply to post by wavemaker

It can go to Mars and back already? You'll have to support that statement Sir.
)

If true, we need to rise up fast and take over NASA. The management needs an overhaul.

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 06:20 AM
link   
1.1 million might be enough to fund a design which, after evaluation and any kind of quality test controls necessary, would then skyrocket funding to accomplish the mission.

I remember hearing about this but I didn't realize it was controversial, I thought it was just the new direction of the Space Program and it made some sense to me except I was wondering why we'd go straight to colonization before even stepping on another planet. Seems weird to me is all, it'd be like someone who's experience with baseball is T-ball as a child trying to hit a grand slam in a professional base ball game. I mean it could happen, but is it wise to just jump straight to colonization? We would need extensive testing of any artificial changes in a human allowing that human to survive in what is normally a hostile environment to our form of life, I would worry that something would go wrong here and we'd just see a relatively quick 'extinction' of our colonizers. This would be tragic, so if it does happen I hope they are really as prepared as they can be.

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by sremmos

UNLESS- TPTB know something we don't. A reason so terrible/horrible that there isn't time to test and experiment. Like time is running out.

I am sure there is a movie about this type of thing. Anyway, they have to move fast-real fast and therefore all common practices and safety concerns go out the window

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 10:56 AM
link   
A million dollars plus some change does not make a viable program for the investigation of trans-fats, let alone space colonization via generation ships.

This is interesting, but if the budget is a million +, it isn't going anywhere interesting (outside of theoretical sciences) anytime soon.

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stryker Ops
In reality I don't think that the idea is far fetched at all. There are several things that trouble me however.

1. $1,100,000.00 isn't nearly enough to build a generational ship unless there are many other backers and countries contributing to the project. This ship would have to be generational in which multiple couples would generate offspring and they would carry on the purpose of the mission.
2. Where would they be sending this ship that would be so far that it wouldn't come back? Possibly intergalactic?
3. Who would be going on these ships? I'm sorry but if they plan to colonize anything with just scientists and politics then it will fail miserably. Who is going to do the dirty work?

Let say... hummmm... H. Ripley ? she'll find a real alien this time ! Or... Dave Bowman and Frank Poole with HAL 9000

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 11:17 AM
link   
I am all for this Starship, if we did (god forbid) come across a global disaster which would destroy the Earth, to try and salvage our existence, cram a spaceship full of people and blast it off to the nearest habitable planet.

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by anon72
reply to post by sremmos

UNLESS- TPTB know something we don't. A reason so terrible/horrible that there isn't time to test and experiment. Like time is running out.

I am sure there is a movie about this type of thing. Anyway, they have to move fast-real fast and therefore all common practices and safety concerns go out the window

They're not moving that fast though. Still another 20 years to figure this all out. And I would assume they have a certain amount of knowledge about this already.

www.ctv.ca...

Worden's admission offered few details beyond a possible 2030 launch date, but its coincidence with a new paper published in the Journal of Cosmology suggests how such a mission might look.

A million dollars plus some change does not make a viable program for the investigation of trans-fats, let alone space colonization via generation ships.

This is interesting, but if the budget is a million +, it isn't going anywhere interesting (outside of theoretical sciences) anytime soon.

So far, the mission amounts to US$1.1 million in seed capital that NASA's Ames Research Centre and the Pentagon's Defence Advanced Research Projects Agency hope to turn into the $11 billion the mission could cost.

We hope to inveigle some billionaires to form a Hundred Year Starship fund. The human space programme is now really aimed at settling other worlds.

11 Billion expected cost.
2030 possible launch date.
100 years to travel around and investigate other worlds also.

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by anon72

The Psychology of Leaving Earth Behind Forever

edit on 10/29/2010 by anon72 because: added additonal story info

Own reaction..

Hit the launch button!...Hit the damn thing already!

hit it..hit.it...

"Battlestar Galactica" Final Scene (HD)
www.youtube.com...

Since we are doing the same mistakes over and over and over, we might as well try this on different worlds..
You never know, maybe the circumstances might turn out just right to overcome this eternal cycle, at least at one of them..
edit on 30-10-2010 by spacebot because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 03:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by xiphias
I get this feeling that humanity won't be allowed to colonize other planets until we get our act together. You can call it a hunch.

unless aliens haven't set put base elsewhere in the solar system, (maybe,if their reality, they been around long time) we should be allowed to colonize any suitable body in the solar system. if in another system, i would agree with you.

if we are the first truly intelligence able space explorers to develop in this solar system, i believe we have the right to this systems and nothing more.

<< 1    3  4 >>

join