It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The American Brain Drain

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 12:15 AM
link   

In the past the US had a strong attraction for "brains", it seems that trend has come to an end.

I remember many very intelligent people go to America from Pakistan refugee camps, I remember Atal, a kid who finished school at the age of 12, and was learning university math under my dad in Pakistani refugee camp, he understood everything in an amazing speed.

My mom told my dad that he would have a brighter future if you send him to America. That is what my dad did, It wasn't that hard, because US had contacts in those type of place, in places with conflicts or in refugee camps, any "brain" with permission would be given a scholar ship to study in US.

I haven't heard from him since he left, hope he is OK.

Just thought would tell that story, which is related to this thread.

This episode of RT shows that "brains" are moving away from US now.

What are your thoughts on this?

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 12:36 AM
link   
I dont think there is a lack of intelligence in the US. I think there is overabundance of intelligence which has turned into "arrogant ignorance". Americans think what they know is the end all of everything. There is nothing outside this sphere of their thinking. I see this all the time, and in every facet of our society here. Meanwhile, the end result of this presumed intelligence is further deterioration of the Country, and Society in general. For instance, just for speaking such things, many fellow Americans will say "well if you dont like it then, leave the Country". Statements such as this speak well of my observation.

I see a bunch of spoiled children incapable or unwilling to truly step up and deal with the problems that face them. Their egos are so fragile that they will defend constantly their own ignorance or stupidity. For instance, I know a few People who still think the War is a good thing. Saddam had something to do with 911, etc. As the rest of the World laughs at us, I laugh too. But only for a while, for the end result is civil war. If there is anything civil about it. I cannot see any other way this will end on its present course.

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 06:58 AM
link   
People who come to the US on work Visas pay no income tax for the first 5 years. After that -
- OH NOES! You mean I gotta pay taxes too?

Go back to India then, I'm sure some US citizen could use your job.

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

That is exactly what attracts brains, no income tax.

And when US was thriving, other benefits such as scholar ships were given to brains all across the world.

If 10% of millionaires, who are Indians in America, go back to India, what would the effect be?

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   
The Brain Drain problem is an absolutely massive issue, and it's facing us in the UK too, thanks for bringing it up OP!

One of my first stories I worked on was for exactly this issue. We went to the area around Buffalo and Rochester upstate in New York and found that almost nobody with a needed college education stayed.

The problem was really pronounced dramatically around the region, especially on the south-western coast of Lake Ontario. Any resident could go to the lakefront, and look across the water at the Toronto skyline ever growing and brighter than it has ever been before, then look back around themselves and see only rusting, abandoned chemical plants.

That is a horrible psychological deterrent to anyone wanting to improve their home. On top of this there were almost no jobs in the region, while in Toronto there was a serious labor shortage, and great wages for students entering the workforce. Buffalo was dying because the young people had largely given up on it, and I really do hope that is not a harbinger for America as a whole.

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 05:54 PM
link   
China Welcomes Talented People from Overseas to Start New Businesses

Li Yuanchao, a member of the Political Bureau of the Communist Party of China (CPC) Central Committee, made the remarks while meeting Dr. Chih-Ming Ho and Dr. Mike Pao, two members of the U.S. National Academy of Engineering.

The best and the brightest immigrants in America

Immigrants are a critical ingredient of economic success for any country. One of the important and recognized reasons America is great is because we attract the best and brightest from around the world. This country has become the Emerald City of Oz in this world.

new topics

top topics

join