It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ancient Skulls Vindicate Columbus of Spreading Syphilis

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Skeletons unearthed in a cemetery may have cleared Christopher Columbus as the original transatlantic vector of syphilis.

It's been popularly theorized among experts in tropical diseases that the explorer brought back one too many treasures from the New World, including the potentially fatal sexually transmitted infection. Soon after his return in the mid-1490s, a pandemic of the disease erupted in Europe. However, the largest excavation of skeletons undertaken in Britain has unearthed seven that suggest the disease was known in England up to two centuries before that.Archaeologists believe that rough patches on the skulls and limbs of skeletons found at St Mary Spital in East London exonerate Columbus’s crew.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/79bac753d259.jpg[/atsimg]
Skulls with tell-tale signs of syphilis (pictured above) may prove that the sexually transmitted disease existed in Europe centuries before Columbus discovered the New World.

Source: www.foxnews.com...

Well now, there you have it. Proof. I always thought Columbus was getting a bum rap about that one.

I think his 3rd most reported accomplishment... Anyway, I wonder how long it will take to get the story in history changed?

Okay, so now the investgiation heads to England. I would have to assume that England was well on it's way to exploring the East Indies/Africa and may have developed it there.

It will be interestign to see where this story end up.

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

I read about this moments ago
The article I read had a different spin as to the orgins.AOLnews

The article I linked mentions the possibility the vikings brought it back to Europe from their explorations of the Americas. Could be one of the reasons they left in the first place. Not like the vikings would shy away from fighting the natives.

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by hangedman13

Very interesting. Thank you.

I saw some stuff on the Vikings the other week. I am going to look into them more.

new topics

join