It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What If...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 08:31 PM
link   
What if all religions are telling the same exact story from a different perspective? They all see a being come from the sky and based on perception interpreted it as angels, gods, or E.T.? I know that's the premise of Ancient Aliens, but lets take it a step further.

All of the stories involve a battle for heaven that resulted in a major power shift. Do we take a second look at the possibility? Many of the stories start with a single all powerful god that creates these angles/gods/E.T. Do we now need to take a second look at the origin of life?

Sure, people can say that the gods/E.T. created us, but who created them?

edit on 21-10-2010 by prophecy4 because: Edit

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Monotheism is actually a relatively new thing on the world stage, Zoroastrianism is an early example and dates from around the early stages of the Iron age ( 6th - 7th century BC).

Most of the major world religions right now, namely Judaism, Christianity, and Islam all come from the same source, and therefore share attributes and core beliefs. And there is substantial evidence that these "core beliefs" were simply borrowed from even older concepts.

Other religions active today still believe in multiple Gods (Hinduism for example). As did most older religions. But worship of the sky, or sun, along with the elements and ancestors are common traits.

So similarity in compared religions is complex as many share common roots. This makes coming to conclusions about sources very difficult.

~Heff
edit on 10/21/10 by Hefficide because: blah

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 07:17 PM
link   

edit on 21-10-2010 by prophecy4 because: Edit

Mmmm, this is a bit like the news is it not.

Bad news is all murder, death and kill.

Good news (that we do not hear often) is all live, love and cherish.

Choice is just that.

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by prophecy4

First of all, ALL religions are not telling the exact same story at all. When you refer to ALL religions i wonder do you mean ALL religions that have ever existed or just the few you can name that are monotheistic. There have ben many reliigons who worshiped the elements of fire, water etc because they saw the destructive as well as life giving properties these elements have and assigned divine attributes to them. They just had to have some kind of divine intelligence in them. The romans worshiped multiple gods and most of those gods were given attributes that helped explain very basic tings right here on earth. A god of war, not man responsible but a being who was in charge of that as well as a god of the seas that controlled the sea itself. A god of thunder and storms and so on and so on. They choose to express with a divine nature the very things they couldnt understand with science. Today you would be hard pressed to find someone who worshiped posiedon and didnt think the sea was a nature thing with a scientific explanation for how it worked instead of a god making the seas move.

The fact is throughout time religion has varied quite alot in the basic and i mean basic beliefs of where we come from and how we got here. It has not always been about a single sky daddy who made it all. Why is it such a hard concept for people to get their minds around that the universe may exist for the sake of existing and nothing else. That it was a natural course of itself to just be. Most people cannot wrapped their minds around such a concept as spontaneous existence that it had to have a intelligent designer behind it all becuse of 2 reasons. 1. that the universe is so fast and immeasurably complex that it could not have just popped into being. 2nd and most importantly is that ther eis nothing in our existence that doesnt somehow have a creator. Nothing. Even the animals and plants come from somewhere. They are not the first plants or animals but they came from something. Something created it. What we struggle with is where and how did it all first start. So because everything on this planet even the thnigs WE make we created and didnt just pop into existence. SO therefor the universe had to have a creator. Some intelligence to design and bring about its creation. If there isnt then all this has no purpose because it wasnt created for a purpose. To exist without design is to exist without purpose and therefore there is no meaning in life. NO reason for life to exist. It just exists till it one day wont.
This is something that most people on this planet will just not accept. So they toil in their minds over who this creator is and why did he create us. The problem i see with this is 2 fold. First, that if he did create us for a purpose then he surely isnt telling us. Yeah i know your going to say oh yes he did my bible says he did. Its to love each other and to learn while we are on this plane yada yada yada. Well guess what. People have been on this planet for countless thousands of years before there was ever even word from the christian or islamic or jewish god. My question to him would be simple if i ever meet him. Why did you wait so long and allow your creation to die for thousands of years before you stepped up and said hey look i am here.?
That brings me to the second part of the issue with a divine designer. If you take into account how microscopicly small we are in the whole vastness of the universe, and then compare that to whatever deity created it, your left with the idea that such a deity would have to exist outside this universe. He would have came first and exist apart and maybe some part within his own universe. Maybe its apart of himself i dont know but definetly he would be greater than his creation. Now zooom all the way down to the microscopic planet earth with its even smaller microscopic life form man and tell me how this divine being is even aware of us or has any time for us? Yes he may have created us but he is soooooo far above us that we could never possibly hope to understand what it is or even know its there. We want to kid ourselves into thinking god is always there and just within reach, not far at all but i have to think if size matters in this universe as well as time, then we are way to small of a creation to be noticed. As well as time goes, our existence in this universe is but the mere fraction of a blink of an eye not even the whole blink compared to the amount of time this universe we occupy has existed. So said being would be just as old or older if not older by powers of 10 or more. Who knows how many times this being has created universes and destroyed them. So tell me. do you really think sky father is truly as small of a being as you think he is and that in the whole grand scheme of things and the mere size and wonder of this universe, even takes notice of something so small as us?

Does that even seem logical? To me it doesnt. It makes a hell of a lot more sense to just accept that we are here. Screw how we got here and why we were put here. The truth is noone is coming to tell us. Man has sought to create answers to those questions throughout time and to use the answers they come up with to control and subjugate other men to their will for power and wealth. for as long as religion has been a tool to help man find his place in the universe and understand why we are here, it has also been a tool to control people with fear of their own mortality. Religion seeks to explain the most fundamental question of all. Is there nothing more than this? Is there something after this or did i exist for no purpose. Man has always been aware how mortal he is and how fragile his life is. So we have to know that when we die it doesnt just end. But what if it does. The good news is this. If it does then you wont be sitting somewhere worried about it.

I am not sure if there was a creator but i feel if there was and we are so important to him that he does take notice of us, then we have surely gotten very wrong our expression of that divine force. I do noth think such a being would be reachable by us on this level of existence. It would be like us trying to understand what it is like to be wind or for water to dream of being human. His would be an existence so unlike ours we could not ever ever think to come close to understanding or reaching it.

I will throw a what if your way. What if there is more than one god? What if there is a creator of the entire universe and he created what we tink of as god in heaven and jesus or whatever. What if that creator has created many many beings to be our caretakers and watch over us because he is just way way to far apart from us to be able to. Try reaching into a petri dish and moving an ameoba around. cant be done. But we can create viruses and other things on the same level to do what we need done can we not? I know that isnt a great comparison but i think you get my meaning. As far as evidence goes, in case anyone would say well weres your evidence that this theory could be true and i say ther eisnt any as far as i know. However in the real of religion and things unknown all we have is a historical record repleat with other peoples ideas and beliefs with still yet no proof in any of their god or gods either. Just a bunch of people who practiced said religions and no proof to back up their claims. We have proof on this planet people practice religion, just no proof their gods really existed.

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Which religions have a tendency to "adapt" or "change" over time? Which religions are steadfast and have been the same since their inception? Think about it

new topics

top topics

join