It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Colony Collapse Disorder Prevention Turns Out To Be Easy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 06:06 AM
link   

Colony Collapse Disorder Prevention Turns Out To Be Easy

The video is about bees, and talking about conventional vs organic beekeeping.

Does anyone know who is in control, who say what can and cannot be used? I think this video is another thumbs up for organic farming, beekeeping, etc. I mean 40% vs around 5%, that is crazy.

If anyone is questioning the effects that low or no bees could have, then read this:

Quote from answerbag:

We'd still have bananas and pinapples as they don't require pollination but we would lose any plants that bees pollinate. knock on effect of this would mean that we wouldn't be able to make clothes out of cotton anymore as there would be none, medicines would be affected (most use plant extracts), animals need feed but there would be nothing to feed them on, so no meat, basically as Einstein once said to the same question, 'without bees there's no pollination, then no plants, without plants theres no meat, without meat there's no man'

www.answerbag.com...

So far as the Einstein quote goes, I'm not sure about that: www.snopes.com...

But whether he said it or not does not negate the fact that if we keep loosing bees the effects could be very dangerous for mankind. A quote from the snopes article, quoting beekeepers in a January 1994 political protest:

The beekeepers claimed that if they were forced out of business, the honey bee could be eradicated in Europe since wild hives were already being decimated by a parasitic mite called varroa.

So far Scotland has escaped the devastating pest, but the threat elsewhere remains.

"Within a few years all the wild colonies will die out," warned John Potter from Norwich.

"The honey bee is threatened with a rapid decline."

If the bees became extinct, the protesters said the impact would go well beyond the livelihoods of the EU's 16,000 full-time beekeepers and the some 430,000 part-timers.

Crops such as apples, pears, beans and oilseeds need bees for pollination.

British beekeepers estimate that 85 per cent of Europe's wildflowers are pollinated by bees and the death of the flowers could have a major impact on wildlife.

"It's going to be a chain reaction," said Mr Potter.

What do you guys think?
edit on 20-10-2010 by GoodLuckCharm because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-10-2010 by GoodLuckCharm because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   
My wife is really into beekeeping, and she's told me it's really hard to grow organic honey, for example. The reason is that the producer has to assure that every pollinating plant within 4 miles of the hive also has to be organic, since that's the typical range of a hive.

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 12:51 PM
link   
this is really great news, a huge sigh of relief. the word bee is derivative from bios, which means LIFE. everything already stated in the thread, yeah, makes a lot of sense.

CCD was haunting me, i don't care if there is a financial meltdown, imagine life without bees pollinating the world?

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 07:03 PM
link   
i bet ya that alot of this 'colony collapse disorder' is due to poor bee keeping and bad husbandry practices..

new topics

top topics

join