It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Intel to spend $6 to $8 billion to upgrade four plants in U.S.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Intel to spend $6 to $8 billion to upgrade four plants in U.S.

www.azcentral.com

Intel will spend $6 billion to $8 billion to upgrade four manufacturing plants in the United States - including two in Chandler - and the company said it will build a new a new factory in Oregon.

The computer chip-maker announced the investment Tuesday as part of what it called its next generation of manufacturing in the United States.

The plan will create 6,000 to 8,000 construction jobs and 800 to 1,000 new permanent high-tech jobs, Intel said. The investment also allows the
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
video.foxnews.com

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Ah! Finally some good news for America. Let's just hope that Intel will be the spearhead for other US firms to relocate back to the US.

One thing does puzzle me though. I wonder what
China thinks about this decision? Well. who cares what they think. American builds better everything compared to our counterparts in China.

www.azcentral.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Intelearthling

We may or may not build better quality goods than our counterparts in the East, but they sure do make cheaper goods and that's what matters nowadays.

Plus these jobs are for skilled workers, and our skilled workers are thinning, quantitatively not physically. Things still look grim, but I guess a rose in the midst of wilted weeds is still a beautiful sight to see.
edit on 19-10-2010 by Modern Americana because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 01:42 PM
link   
And im sure the DOD is playing a large role in this. Don't forget that China has been tinkering with chips and putting viruses in them. "Trojan picture frames from China was a virus in the microchips." So the DOD im sure wants to create a plant for creating the chips they use at home and avoid the problem of a foriegn country hacking there computers with the microchips in side the computers they use.

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Modern Americana

I like that! A rose in the midst of wilted weeds!
A star to you.

The main problem in the American work place is the unions. One may ask how can Toyota build a better vehicle in a plant that's located here in the states than their counterparts and still pay their workers competitive wages?

While a worker from Toyota doesn't make the same as a worker from GM, for instance, their pay is above the average of other manufacturer and typical skilled American worker. They are motivated and versatile compared to a union worker who is prohibitted by union rules to do anything outside their job description.

I've never worked for a union but have seen guys who come from union shops (after losing their jobs for different reasons) and they're about as motivated and skilled as a rock. They didn't have any idea of how to perform the job that they applied for. I actually felt bad for these guys because they've wasted a good portion of their lives not learning anything useful and the union is to blame for their inadequate knowledge.

I seen, for a fact, that a guy fresh out of high school have more knowledge about the job environment than someone who's been in a union for 20 years. It's a sham and a shame.

Americans deserve better and it's not found in a union.

join