It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Network TV about to die?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Is Network TV (ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, the WB, and UPN) about to die and be permanantly replaced with Cable TV channels?

Not that this is a bad thing...

The Networks have been in a downward spiral for years. At first, it wasn't so bad, because all Cable TV channels could basically do was show reruns of TV shows that the Networks had abandoned. But then, in the early 1990's, things changed.

The Cable TV channels started producing their own TV shows. Then, to make matters worse (from the Network TV channels' point of view), some of those TV shows began to get higher ratings than Network TV shows!
And it didn't stop there. Soon, there were Cable TV channels who had shows that could outperform Network TV in every way the networks could measure (demographics, ratings, merchandise, etc.)... And, here and now, it appears that the financial grim reaper is around the corner for the Networks...

As one entertainment industry analyst recently told Neil Cavuto on Fox News, "All the networks have left is sports and reality shows now. And there's a cable channel called 'Game TV' that is going to start airing reality shows, and the NFL, NBA, MLB, and NHL are all in the process of forming their own cable channels as well. The days for network TV may indeed be numbered."

What do you think? Do you love Network TV? Do you think it's a relic of the past? Do you prefer your themed Cable TV channels (such as a sci-fi channel, comedy channel, cartoon channel, soap opera channel, etc.) to the "we try to do everything all at once" Networks? I'd love to hear your opinion on this!

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Turner really pioneered the undermining of the alphabets, not only with 24 hour News Networks but hybrid SUPERSTATIONS that both broadcast to a local market but enjoy national ratings via cable. The formula's been copied to death by now obviously.

I think the networks still enjoy some buying power when it comes to production and talent efforts, but you're right...it's in it's decline.

The post Friends/Frasier world is looking glum for networks and once other mainstays go (like Raymond) with limited replacement prospects other than reality crapola...its' all downhill.

But the formula is changing to survive. Reality TV is cheap compared to SuperStar salaries. And if the ratings are as good...same income from advertisers. Which is really where everything is determined. What do advertisers consider the best value for the money? And they're still eating up the networks (for now) since it's the best national reach going.

Granted there are more targeted ways to reach 45 year old virgins if that's your market (you mentioned Sci-Fi), but the networks still own the broad spectrum of America. And just think of the new revenues syndicated reruns have produced from cable!

Soaps and game shows had a one day shelf life for networks for years. Now they sell them to cable channels.
It all works out.

And like I asked in U2U, are you sure I don't know you from somewhere?

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by RANT
...like I asked in U2U, are you sure I don't know you from somewhere?

I really have no idea! LOL

Well, I don't think that the Networks will cease to exist; they will simply become companies that only produce TV shows and movies -- but no longer distribute them. Cable TV channels will purchase the TV shows and movies that the companies that were once Networks produced.

A good analogy of this is Sega and Atari in the video game industry -- at one time, they produced their own consoles; nowadays, however, they simply make games for others' consoles. But they're still in business!

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Network TV should Die, all they do is remakes of already popular shows from the UK.

posted on Nov, 13 2004 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Network TV is garbage, which is why I don't ever watch it. Cable TV is only nominally better. And if the networks did die, cable would end up being the "new" networks.

new topics

top topics

join