It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rand Paul refuses to shake hands with opponent Conway after debate

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 11:00 AM
link   
www.mcclatchydc.com...

By Jack Brammer | The Lexington Herald-Leader LOUISVILLE — A debate filled with unabashed personal attacks concluded Sunday night with Republican Rand Paul briskly brushing past Democrat Jack Conway, refusing to shake the hand of an opponent who raised questions about his religious beliefs. "Jack, have you no decency? Have you no shame?" Paul asked Conway during the fourth of five scheduled debates between Kentucky's U.S. Senate candidates. Read more: www.mcclatchydc.com...

Good for him. I believe that the polls are fairly even at the moment due mostly to negative adds run by Conway. However I expect Rand to win. We shall see...

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 11:10 AM
link   
What? who is aqua Buddha?
two

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Rand Paul is the anti-Obama. Back when John McCain's camp and his campaign was questioning his citizenship and whether he was hanging around with terrorists Obama still held his ground and withstood the character attacks. I may not like him now but at least he was able to be civil during the debates. Rand Paul doesn't have what it takes to be President. He doesn't even have what it takes to be civil in a debate. He's just like any other politician. He makes me sick.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by bluemooone2

Is he being hypocritical by saying he wants to take the level of discourse to a 'higher level' while also saying he will not extend the courtesy of a handshake?

I understand his reasoning. He is free to not shake whomevers hand he wants to not shake. But I wonder if that is really a consistent message, especially from a Christian who has the opportunity to extend a hand of forgiveness.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 11:23 AM
link   
I wouldn't want to shake hands with the guy either.
To me it shows that he is a man of some conviction.

It's not my state, and I'm not following it that closely - but I do know that the founding fathers said there was not to be a religious test to hold office.

All these folks are doing bringing up stuff like this is hurting those in minority religions that aren't even involved.

Like take, for instance, a little athiest kid. What's the message to him or her? Athiests can't hold office?
Or with O'Donnell, a little Wiccan kid. What's the message to him or her? WIccans are laughable and can't hold office?

It's making me sick and I wish it would stop. There are issues way beyond what someone did in college or highschool. I tend to think that I'd rather follow a leader that DID think about some other religions or that questioned the one they'd been born in at some point - it only seems natural to me. Otherwise I might think I was electing a totally brainwashed drone.
edit on 18-10-2010 by hadriana because: I called Rand's opponent a wordy dird without thinking.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by bluemooone2

Conway is a scumbag and does not deserve the respect of a handshake. Rand acted correctly. We need more real people like him and his father in Washington. The people running our country right now would strangle a newborn with a lamp cord for a few votes, money or more power. I'm sick of those that blame the people for everything; it is not us it is our leaders. Every election it is a choice between the Anti-Christ or The Beast. A good man/woman, a real working American can't even hope to run on a national level. Our hopes lie in running and winning locally.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by hadriana

It's not my state, and I'm not following it that closely - but I do know that the founding fathers said there was not to be a religious test to hold office.

What religious test? No ne here is suggesting a religious test.

All these folks are doing bringing up stuff like this is hurting those in minority religions that aren't even involved.

Christians aren't a minority religion.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by justadood

What religious test? No ne here is suggesting a religious test.

Christians aren't a minority religion.

1. Yes, there is religious test all over these two candidates problems running. It is simply "ARE YOU REALLY A CHRISTIAN?" if you don't see that, you might want to go to the eyedoctor.

2. No one said Christians weren't a minority religion. I said that all this yaya was HURTING minority religons. IE Athiests (Rand Paul having to defend himself for having something to do with an athiest thinking group in college) and Wiccans (The O'Donnell "I am not a witch" crap being parodied all over SNL and the Internet.)

Dude, I think you follow me around just to make me clarify every little thing I say for the heck of it, and it's getting old. You do this on nearly every thread I reply to.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   
I'm a big Ron Paul fan.
Rand...not so much.

If what Conway was saying was untrue, why couldn't he just say it was untrue, then turn the tables and show that Conway was playing dirty. Instead, he refused to answer the question and then accused Conway of playing dirty. Better still, he refused to shake his hand yet claimed he wants to raise the discussion bar...

Talk about political hypocricy.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 11:37 AM
link   
I think this is an issue of something that is a non-story being put in the forefront, kind of sad really. Politics will be emotional, and if we expect politicians to be immune to that we are deluding ourselves. I've got very little love of Ron Paul or Rand Paul but I wouldn't fault Rand for this.

In the end it's not going to hurt him, he'll be in office, and he won't be president for reasons entirely different from this, so really in the end who cares?
edit on 18-10-2010 by ProjectJimmy because: Point Explanation

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Dude, I think you follow me around just to make me clarify every little thing I say for the heck of it, and it's getting old. You do this on nearly every thread I reply to.

Yes, it's such a shame to have people respond to your posts in a public forum. i'll try to refrain from causng you such consternation in the future.

new topics

top topics

join