It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The beautiful mathematics that Benoit Mandelbrot left as his legacy.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Benoit Mandelbrot, who died last week at 85, was to math what Carl Sagan was to astrophysics. He wasn't just a researcher; he popularized scientific thought. And he's best known for bringing fractal mathematics to the masses.

Mandelbrot's experiments with number sets and computers in the 1970s led to his discovery that you could draw geometric shapes that were "self similar," which is to say each of their parts shares similarities with the whole. (This is why, for example, when you look at a Mandelbrot fractal, you see the same shapes emerging at its edges as you zoom into it.)

io9.com

As some know that Mandelbrot has passed, but he legacy he left will never cease.

Here are some 'Mandelbrot Fractals' for you to see. I guess this is what happens when you mix Art and Math....you get Beauty.

-Enjoy

edit on 18-10-2010 by Oozii because: Add Photos

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Ooooo those are awesome!

I watched a video of him speaking at a TED conference earlier this year. His accent is quite thick, but the talk was really good, and well worth watching, especially if, like me, you aren't very familiar with his work.

www.ted.com...

new topics

join