It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

John Titor on: life in the future

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 03:56 PM
link   
The ATS John Titor Project Archiving the history of comments and statementsmade by "time traveler", John Titor. Topical breakdown of topics from the material in the main archive. John Titor On Life In The Future.05 November 2000 03:29 Pamela: 1. what are some of your memories of 2036? Timetravel_0: I remember 2036 very clearly. It is difficult to describe 2036 in detail without spending a great deal of time explaining why things are so different. In 2036, I live in central Florida with my family and I'm currently stationed at an Army base in Tampa . A world war in 2015 killed nearly three billion people. The people that survived grew closer together. Life is centered around the family and then the community. I can not imagine living even a few hundred miles away from my parents. There is no large industrial complex creating masses of useless food and recreational items. Food and livestock is grown and sold locally. People spend much more time reading and talking together face to face. Religion is taken seriously and everyone can multiple and divide in the heads. 07 November 2000 21:23 pamela: 2. what kind of jobs do people do and do they still work long hours? whats the majority of job types in the future? timetravel_0: Life is much more rural in the future but "high" technology is used to communicate and travel. People raise a great deal of their own food and do more "farm" work. Yes, compared to now, we do work long hours. After the war, my father made a living selling oranges up and down the West coast of Florida . My closest friend raises horses and another works for a company that maintains "wireless" internet nodes. 07 November 2000 21:23 pamela: 3.what is a typical day like for someone in your time? do you still havethe internet? has it advanced to all virtual reality yet? what type of diseases are you currently dealing with? are there still advances in science? timetravel_0: A typical day...hmmm. Life has changed so much over my lifetime that it's hard to pin down a "normal" day. When I was 13, I was a soldier. As a teenager, I helped my dad haul cargo. I went to college when I was 31 and I was recruited to "time travel" shortly after that. Again...I suppose an average day in 2036 is like an average day on the farm. 07 November 2000 21:23 pamela: 4.Is there still a post office? how do you receive messages from one another? you said most people talk face to face. timetravel-0: Yes...there is a post office. The internet is still alive and well in the future. People spend more time talking because life is more centered around the community. I've noticed the same type of effect here when the power goes off. People tend to come out of their homes and actually spend time with their neighbors. There is a lot more personal trust and less paranoia. 07 November 2000 21:23 pamela: 5.what type of houseing do you live in? timetravel_0: When I'm with my parents, I live in a community made up of "tree houses" on a large river in Florida . The river floods sometimes and we have access to the Gulf. Most of our neighbors make a living off the sea or in moving cargo by boat. 07 November 2000 21:23 pamela: 14. what are your schools and universities like? timetravel_0: After the war, early new communities gathere d around the current Universities. That's where the libraries were. I went to school at Fort UF which is now called the University of Florida . Not too much is different except the military is large part of people's life and we spend a great deal of time in the fields and farms at the "University" or Fort. 07 November 2000 21:23 pamela: 17. how do you take care of your elderly? and your poor and your orphans? and the ones who cannot work? timetravel_0: The elderly are highly revered and looked after on a community level. So are orphans. There is always something people can do now matter what. The idea of avoiding work is looked down on. Everyone pulls together to keep the COMMUNITY strong. 07 November 2000 21:23 pamela: 18. what is the dress style of the time what do you wear on your bodies as a style? timetravel_0: Hats are more common in the future and flashy colors are less common. Dress is much more functional and we "dress up" when ever we get a chance. I have noticed that no one in this time dresses for occasions even when they have the clothes. Why do people wear shorts to church? 07 November 2000 21:23 pamela: 19. do people wear their hair differently than we do?every generation has a different style what is the style of your time? what is popular for kids to wear? for adults to wear? timetravel-0: We do not spend nearly the amount of time on our hair as people do now. Women like to wear their hair longer and men have it much shorter. Both sexes shave it all off when they're in active military service. 07 November 2000 21:23 pamela: 22. how do you get from one place to another with not many cars around.do you teleport from one place to another? timetravel_0: We have cars...just not a whole bunch of them. There is public transportation from city to city. 21 November 2000 10:41 On my world line, life is not easy. We live in a world recovering from years of war, poison, destruction and hate. All of it, courtesy of the thinking and actions of people that live right now in the same world you do, worrying about which stocks to buy or whether or not a stranger is lying to them on the internet. 06 December 2000 21:36 (What is the popular music like?) Most of the same music you enjoy is available on archive. However the days of mega-stars playing multiple track studio produced music and lip synching on a huge stage are pretty much isolated to your time period. Like everything else, music is much less centralized. The general trend is away from �computer generated� music and more toward real people playing real instruments. Music is much more of a personal experience. More people know how to read music and play together in small groups. 06 December (Are there any social prejudices) Yes there are. However, as odd as it may sound, it serves a useful purpose in my time. First, you must realize that your experiences with �prejudice� and mine are different. I would characterize the intolerance you have here as a result of ignorance and fear. I have observed that people with unfounded and irrational fears about their fellow man in this time have the luxury of not having their beliefs tested. 06 December 2000 21:36 (about the future) 112 On my world line, if a man doesn�t pull his weight in the community, then we feel prejudice towards him as a burden to us. This feeling of shame he experiences then makes him realize his responsibilities. 06 December 2000 21:36 (What is the health care system like) You would probably not like it at all. I would compare it to what you see in Western movies. We do have hospitals but there are more family doctors and house calls as compared to what you are used to. There is no real organized health care. If you get a serious disease, you die. This however has had a tendency to strengthen the general genetic pool. Doctors are more concerned about things like broken legs, snake bites and delivering healthy babies. 06 December 2000 21:36 (What is the entertainment industry like, movies, tv, radio, internet?) Again, entertainment is less centralized. There are �movies� and �tv� but everything is distributed over the net and more people produce their own �shows�. 06 December 2000 21:36 (How difficult is it for someone to start from nothing and get a job and make a living for themselves?) Very easy. If you can work with your hands and get along with other people, you will always find work. 13 December 2000 12:44 (What is the education system like? For children? For adults? Is there more home schooling then there is now. What are the class sizes like? Is there any emphasis on a subject or subjects that are don't exist now?) The education system has been through many changes. School in 2036 is no longer a political indoctrination system and students �learn how to learn�. Since community activity varies from place to place, the emphasis on basic reading, math and language is augmented with skills particular to the community. One school may emphasis farming while another teaches woodworking. Having children is a bit different and less common in 2036. A typical school day involves a setting very much like it was 100 years ago with smaller classes and few administrators to teachers. Other areas of study that are less common now are history, citizenship and personal economics. 30 December 2000 10:28 like the lyrics. They remind me of some other songs that are oldies but goodies from where I come from�anyone know these? �gotta be home, by sunset. She asked me to giver her a ride, said she had to go, dropped her off by the trism through the atmosphere�by prism. Gotta keep movin , it was the human race to get away, sun bends light through a prism, she bent herself through the trism� �she pulls the lever and then bright light. -- or this -- Waiting for bus number 99, goin� to the store for hotdogs and wine when all of the sudden I felt real cold and wound up in the belly of a UFO... �Movin through the spheres at faster than light on our way to some planets that were out of sight� [well it had been 987 years in outer space when I got back, I couldn�t seem to find any of my friends to tell my interesting stories to.] 05 January 2001 13:46 In 2036, community life is a bit different. People are valued and judged based on their contribution and worth. Work is organized around the family and the value of that work is assessed inside of the community. Most communities range in size from 1000 to 4000 people. If a family wanted to move from one community to another or if a son or daughter wanted to move to another community, they must apply and be interviewed by the community leadership council. During this process, the family or individual is evaluated as to whether or not the work or skill they have is required or necessary to that individual community. Once accepted, the family or individual is expected to uphold their end of the work and support the community. If they don�t, the community stops supporting them and they are forced to change their attitude or move away from the community. 05 January 2001 13:46 The family work we did was picking, sorting and shipping oranges by sailboat up and down the coast of Florida. We were expected to produce a certain amount for the community and a certain amount for other communities as agreed to by our CLC. In exchange, we received power, water, a certain amount of food and other necessities that were produced inside our community 05 January 2001 13:46 ((in the 2036,do they still publish books? if so,do they still have those Cliff Notes books? the yellow ones,about things like physics and geometry and common time displacement theory and such? hint hint... )) Yes, books are still published. If I had any cliff notes with me I would let you decide if they should be posted or not. 09 January 2001 09:28 ((�and who are those involved with breathing life into this supposed NWO, that many people in our current world-line are so afraid of?)) On my worldline, we are no longer afraid of the �NWO�. Are you afraid of Nazis? 09 January 2001 12:24 When time travel was discovered, there were many people who were against its development. However, once the true nature of time was realized, the resistance faded. Even if one worldline was able to ban, kill and stop all time travel, it will continue on another. 11 January 2001 09:04 However, if I understand you, you�re asking about death on my worldline. Yes, it is more a part of our lives than it is yours (at least for now) and capitol punishment is a reality.

join