It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Special forces eliminate 300 Taliban and al-Qaeda leaders, says General David Petraeus

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Soshh

Well, this thread seems like as good as any to debate a bit, right?

I mean, you have defended the idea of these tactical strikes, yes?

i submit we can win the war by creating new enemies. We can never kill all our problems, and any number of enemies 'killed' in this sort of wars is meaningless. the war will continue, and weapons manufactureres will get rich.

how do we stop this cycle, short of disengagement and isolationism?

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by justadood
reply to post by Soshh

I mean, you have defended the idea of these tactical strikes, yes?

Not JDAMs and drone strikes I didn't.

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Soshh

well, gosh darndit.

and here i was all geared up to be all right and stuff. :/

thanks for playing. Good thread> I appreciate your perspective.

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Soshh

Speaking purely military* the key to winning the war is control of the villages and its subsequent control of the local population . Yes there is an important role in counter insurgency or conventional warfare to eliminate enemy its just not a wonder weapon that will win the war by itself . What can happen is that if you eliminate enough of the enemy commanders you can force him into filling his ranks with less experienced and where applicable trained personal(SP?) .

* As opposed to Obama refusing to undertake the required nation building and commit troop numbers in order to win the war .

posted on Oct, 17 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by xpert11
reply to post by Soshh

* As opposed to Obama refusing to undertake the required nation building and commit troop numbers in order to win the war .

I'd be interested in knowing how giving the military an open-ended contract to wage a foreign war for an un-defined period of time with an unlimited number of troops is really in the interest of the people of the USA.

posted on Oct, 17 2010 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by allprowolfy

Because the oil companies want us over there. This war will be over when they secure all the oil fields and have them under their control.

posted on Oct, 17 2010 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by justadood

Your premise is ignorant and flawed . If the will had existed to win the war in Afghanistan then the job of coalition military forces would have been to bring the security situation under control to a degree where by nation building would have taken . Once the Afghans were employed in building there nation they would no longer fight for the Taliban . Aside from removing Afghanistan as a base of operations for terrorists the course of action I have described would have lowered unemployment in the US by two percent .

Cheers xpert11.

posted on Oct, 17 2010 @ 11:51 PM
link   
reply to post by xpert11

"Once the Afghans were employed in building there nation they would no longer fight for the Taliban"

Employed doing what?.. working for the American puppet govt? being seen as a traitor like those who sided with the Soviets? (and were killed). These are generations of mostly farmers and tribal peoples living on the same land in the same tribal area.. they don't watch MSM cable news, didn't vote republican or democrat.. to them rhetoric belched out by GOP & DNC "leaders", so called, is no different that whatever Soviet political clowns had to say.

Anyone really think the average AK47 toting Afghan dirt urchin villager has a tangible appreciation for the difference between Soviet & NATO troops? Would YOU care about the difference between N. Korean or Chinese troops invading you city? bombs blowing up your village? lmao.. do American bombs send shrapnel of "freedom" and "justice"?.. lol F-15s yell "we're here to free you" while Soviet jets made a "We're here to enslave you" sound?

Would you care what their politicians had to say?.. or take a job they offered you?

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 12:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by govtflu
Employed doing what?..

Building the infrastructure that the country needs to function . Improving peoples lives and putting money in there pocket does wonders .

working for the American puppet govt?

Well if the job had been done properly more focus would have been put on local government . The central government should have basically only been responsible for military , police , and coordination of nation wide infrastructure projects . Put another way it should have done enough to function and left to rest up to local government .

Anyone really think the average AK47 toting Afghan dirt urchin villager has a tangible appreciation for the difference between Soviet & NATO troops?

They have done so in Bamyan province the threats to NZ PRT team have come from outside the province . The lack of construction in the centre and north of the country is inexcusable. The north and centre of the country would have been industrialised , processing the agricultural products from the south .

Would you care what their politicians had to say?..

Most people don't care .

or take a job they offered you?

Take the job . The key would be to pay them more then the Taliban could .

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join