It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sen. Sanders slams the Radical Right on Social Security

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Sword
This "stupid" system is the only way people like my grandmother can live. My grandfather worked and paid in so she could still live on her own and pay her bills.

It's not that stupid when you look at the fact that before it, people had NOTHING.

You are missing the point. Your grandfather would have a lot more money if he would have put his money elsewhere instead of getting it taken by the government. People had nothing because the government took it. Your grandfather had the money and then the government came in and took it which made him need the government to get back his own money. What a scam.

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by The Sword

well dont really care about what you think..................just saying...................im shutting up on this one and letting the thread get back on topic..................social security is solvent and its not............and what your opinion of me isnt relevant to this thread...........so peace.......

edit on 15-10-2010 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

The Social Security structure has many flaws, not just theft. In it's inception it never took into account extended lifespans, and how that would translate into an older population, and how this would create solvency problems in the long run. It's a matter of how many people work and pay into the system vs. how many people draw benefits in the long run.

When you add trillions in theft and hot air promises like non-transferable treasury securities, you can expect the system to fail. It was a good intentioned system, but just not realistic over time.

This is why we need to restrain government from assuming it knows best, because it doesn't. Politics in this country is very shortsighted. Our politicians think election to election. You're never going to completely eradicate that attitude. There will always be corruption. Corrupt people look for more ways to be corrupt, and in the case of government, that translates into expansion.

Social Security is an example of this. It has been a tool of class warfare, fought by the right and left wing, for decades. It has left us in debt, high and dry.

I'm 26 years old. I will not see social security, but I will be paying for it for decades.
edit on 15-10-2010 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Misoir
reply to post by Aquarius1

I recieve emails from him frequently, I have almost always admired his work and dedication. He even took on the FED, but was attacked by members of ATS for backing down, that is because he lives in reality as many here live in fantasy land where they actually think you can make any real reforms on the FED.

Good for you, I also recieve emails from him frequently, sometimes his hands are tied but he is outspoken and gets the word out, guess some don't want to hear the truth, he is only one person, we need a lot more like him.
Thanks for your reply.

Have you listened to Thom Hartmann on Fridays, it's called 'Lunch with Bernie'

edit on 15-10-2010 by Aquarius1 because: added line

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 11:32 PM
link   
reply to post by WhatTheory

Tell me why I need the government to take some of my hard earned money every week and hold it for me until I am in my sixties

Because most people would not save or invest that money, they would spend it. When you reach retirement age I would hope you would not apply for your Social Security Benefits, after all why would you take that stupid money that you paid into all those years, sure you won't need Medicare either that you would have also paid into.

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aquarius1
Because most people would not save or invest that money, they would spend it.

So you are saying I have to be punished because some people would not be responsible with their money? Is that your flawed reasoning?

Look, most people would save especially if you start early by teaching kids about money and saving instead of how to put a condom on a banana.

When you reach retirement age I would hope you would not apply for your Social Security Benefits, after all why would you take that stupid money that you paid into all those years

Are you a comedian? Of course I am going to get my benefits because it's MY money they took from me to begin with. This is how the government makes you dependent on them. Get it? This is why it must end.

Pick a year and say from now on anyone born from this year forward, you will no longer have to give your money to the government via SS taxes and you will have to save money yourself. I realize it's difficult to open a savings account but I'm sure most can figure it out.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join