It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A reprieve from taxes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 08:40 AM
link   
I live in Akwesasne. Selling untaxed cigarettes and gas has been one of the mainstays of our local economy. Governor Paterson and the NY legislature have decided to try and collect taxes on the Indian reservations again. If they succeed, it will put hundreds of non natives out of work here. These people have all been working under the table, no one pays into the system. So when they become unemployed, welfare is their only real option for relief. I say it would be in New York's best interest not to collect taxes here. There was violence the last time they tried. I don't believe that will happen this time. I believe everything will happen in the courts this time. All the Iroquois nations have money and good lawyers, and plus taxing us is illegal.

hosted.ap.org...

www.wgrz.com...

www.buffalonews.com...

www.nypost.com...

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 09:19 AM
link   
I have a few questions, as I find this an interesting subject.

You say...

Originally posted by alonzo730
. These people have all been working under the table, no one pays into the system. So when they become unemployed, welfare is their only real option for relief..

and then you say

All the Iroquois nations have money and good lawyers, and plus taxing us is illegal.

Are you saying that they will go on NY State welfare or on welfare provided by the nations?
If the nations have money, as you say, will they take care of them?

Also, I was under the impression, and I may be wrong, that they wanted to tax the NON-Native Americans who are buying cigarettes in an attempt to avoid the state tax.

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Is it just me or is this money grab with tobacco getting seriously out of hand? Let's face it, when taxes equal 100% of the wholesale cost, it's pretty ugly. Here in New York they've reached around 400%.

I say leave the "rezzes" alone.

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 10:04 AM
link   
I agree that the taxes on cig's are totally out of hand and seem to be punitive in nature against one segment.

I have to say, if I lived near a res I would shoot over and by some tax free cigs just because I think the current situation is ridiculous. I buy them in NJ and PA when I can, as their taxes are far less.

However, the tax law is on the books. Should the state make the res suss out who is cheating or should they be responsible? Shouldn't the state have to enforce their own stupid laws?

new topics

top topics

join